EagleTac D25A Clicky

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have experience with this light with the XM-L2 emitter or know where I can find a review? Considering the Ti version for a high powered keychain light.

Last edited:

bmel17

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at this myself for the last few days. I like the Ti look but it's hard to justify the $20 price increase from black

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget this light. It was once my favorite AA light but it has been problematic all of a sudden. Many here in CPF has encountered either similar or some other problems. Pre-flash, failure to switch modes using batteries other than 14500, unable to reach max output are all the problems I had faced, and this was after sending it to Hong Kong to get it serviced. In fact, I am facing more problems with this light than before sending it in. Utterly disappointing.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I had several reservations about it. First, no moonlight mode, despite what is advertised. Second, no real 14500 support - direct drive. Third, preflash that was super annoying.

It's pretty though, and a nice slim size. But I greatly prefer my 47s QTA or my SC52.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had several reservations about it. First, no moonlight mode, despite what is advertised. Second, no real 14500 support - direct drive. Third, preflash that was super annoying.

It's pretty though, and a nice slim size. But I greatly prefer my 47s QTA or my SC52.

The 2013 D25a Ti Clicky has full lithium ion support. There's still no moonlight mode, but it does have a reliably functioning high, medium and low.

markr6

Flashaholic
Too bad about these issues. I was really looking forward to the XM-L2 T6 neutral version. I may wait for the SC52 even though it's a bit warmer than I would like.

bkb

Newly Enlightened
Ive had my D25a clicky for a few days now and I have to say I find the preflash quite annoying. Is this a design flaw or is it supposed to do this ? I like the H-M-L modes but there are too many strobe modes.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I'm glad I bought a few copies of the 2012 version then - I love mine. Moonlight measures 0.3lms by my light meter which I find perfect for me from my Quark Xs - wish I could find another floody 1xAA that had the same level as it is one of my most often used. The 2013s only have partial Li-ion support (lower modes bump up), but the light is too small with limited thermal management anyways.

What do you folks consider pre-flash? My 2012 "pops" something like 0.6 lms for a millisecond on moonlight, but I hardly call that pre-flash. I do have one Quark that pre-flashes Max on all lower modes.... that's serious pre-flash.

.... I like the H-M-L modes but there are too many strobe modes.

You know you can always just do a half second long press to go back to low so you never enter the strobes.... the short reset is one of my favorite features I wish the Quarks had.

Last edited:

awyeah

Enlightened
Is the pre-flash specific to the D25A? I have a D25C clicky that I bought last year... I think it is an XP-G2. No pre-flash.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Mine is totally problematic, especially in its primary function as a light. To get it to turn on at all I have to fiddle with the head, and it refuses to work if the head is on tight, so it has to be fairly loose and as a result I never use it.

Shame too, as it's such a nice size and has a good beam pattern, tint and range of outputs, or at least it used to.

awyeah

Enlightened
It's when you turn the light on to a low mode, but it briefly flashes brightly before going to the low mode. Four sevens lights are famous for that.

sspc

Newly Enlightened
Mine is totally problematic, especially in its primary function as a light. To get it to turn on at all I have to fiddle with the head, and it refuses to work if the head is on tight, so it has to be fairly loose and as a result I never use it.

Shame too, as it's such a nice size and has a good beam pattern, tint and range of outputs, or at least it used to.
Sounds like my Nitecore D10

awyeah

Enlightened

That is a shame. I hope that doesn't start happening to my D25C clicky.

Verndog

Enlightened
It's when you turn the light on to a low mode, but it briefly flashes brightly before going to the low mode. Four sevens lights are famous for that.

Thank you...none of mine do that. I have the 2011 version D25A NW XPG that is still perfect. I was considering the Ti version as I saw a price drop in "New" XML NW, so I guess that is the one to avoid?

bkb

Newly Enlightened
You know you can always just do a half second long press to go back to low so you never enter the strobes.... the short reset is one of my favorite features I wish the Quarks had.
Just tried this, now that I can bypass the strobe modes makes me like it better. I might keep it. Nobody has answered the question of the preflash being part of the interface or a defect.

jcw122

Enlightened
From my discussions with Eagletac CS suggest that retailers have been shipped the L2's but haven't gotten them in stock yet.

Dubois

Enlightened
Just tried this, now that I can bypass the strobe modes makes me like it better. I might keep it. Nobody has answered the question of the preflash being part of the interface or a defect.

It's a defect. I raised it with CS when my DA25A Ti (2013) arrived in January. I was told a "ticket" was being raised with their engineers. I found it so annoying, together with the fact that the moonlight mode comes and goes seemingly on a whim (mostly goes), that I've abandoned eneloops with this light. Works very well on 14500's, but of course gets hot quickly on high.

agent80

Newly Enlightened
Does the pre-flash problem affect the Eagletac D25A Mini too? or is it only the clickies that experience this?