*NEW* Klarus ST11 and ST2C

kj2

Flashaholic
Just posted on the Klarus website.

1.CREE XM-L2 LED, delivering a maximum output of 900 ANSI lumens.
2.Patented Tail-cap & Side Switch design, allowing easy access to power settings.
3.Easy-access Strobe feature can activated at any time
4.Ergonomically designed for one-handed operation.
5.Specifically designed tail cap allows upright 'Candle' hands-free use.
6.Waterproof design rated to IPX-8 (waterproof to a depth of 2 meters).
7.Stainless Steel bezel design protects the lens and reflector system from drops and impacts.
8.Intelligent control circuits balance brightness, run-time and heat emission for improved performance.
9.Optical lens system allows for illumination up to 100 meters.
10.Anti-shortcut design prevents accidental damage to internal electronics.

6i9zzt.jpg
2mx34a0.jpg

2m2e7iw.jpg
2d00zd0.jpg

idt16p.jpg

http://www.klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=52&lge=en

2q2hcah.jpg
5mbdlf.jpg

1. CREE XM-L2 LED with a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours
2. Lighting modes: High/Medium/Low/Moonlight/Strobe/SOS/Momentary
3. Working Voltage: 3.0V-8.4V
4. Battery: 18650*1/CR123A*2(do not use 16340 battery or any other battery over than 3.0V)
5. Body color: Gun Metal Grey
6. Reflector: Smooth reflector
7. Lens: Toughened ultra-clear glass
8. Dimensions: 133mm (Length) x 28mm (Head) x 22.4mm (Body)
9. Net weight: 79g (Excluding battery)

http://www.klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=59&lge=en

Last edited:

jcw122

Enlightened
Re: *NEW* Klarus ST11

So it has a side switch and a back switch?

Dubois

Enlightened

Big leap from High of 900 lumen to medium of 225 lumen. I would imagine the high drop's down after a certain time (not clear from the specs), but I can't imagine it dropping to 225 lumen.

kj2

Flashaholic

Big leap from High of 900 lumen to medium of 225 lumen. I would imagine the high drop's down after a certain time (not clear from the specs), but I can't imagine it dropping to 225 lumen.

35jjqcy.jpg

It looks like Klarus has spaced the modes for their specific tasks.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think this is ugly flashlight!!

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic

i don't trust Klarus lumens specs anymore.
their ANSI lumens claims are way off compared to Fenix.

and this light?
looks ugly, ridiculously heavy for what it is and has no special functions *yawn*

That it's ugly is your opinion. And ANSI rating is for every company the same.
And what for "special" functions are you looking for?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think by special he may have referred to a more customizable UI. In a way it is true that this light is not offering anything new in terms of UI!

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think the mode spacing is good. looks great too.

i just have no idea how the UI works

AbnInfantry

Newly Enlightened

i think the mode spacing is good. looks great too.

i just have no idea how the UI works

This is just speculation, but I suspect you turn the light on/off using the tail button and change modes using the side switch. I like the fact the ST11 can tail stand (unlike the XT11), but wish it had a crenulated bezel like that of the XT11.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

I, too, have no idea how the UI works. Labrador, when you say "this light is not offering anything new in terms of UI!", does that mean you understand the UI? Can you explain it?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is just speculation, but I suspect you turn the light on/off using the tail button and change modes using the side switch. I like the fact the ST11 can tail stand (unlike the XT11), but wish it had a crenulated bezel like that of the XT11.

the side button is molded with the universal on/off symbol which suggests you could turn it on/off with that as well

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I, too, have no idea how the UI works. Labrador, when you say "this light is not offering anything new in terms of UI!", does that mean you understand the UI? Can you explain it?

My understanding from the Klarus website is that the tail clicky activates the momentary on (whatever mode was last saved) and can activate strobe. It is unclear whether the tail clicky can turn the light on/off (I understand you can't permanently) and it seems it doesn't allow to cycle through modes.
On/off and mode cycling are done through the side switch. Don't take it for certain though as that's simply what I made out of the light description. In reality it could be different. : )

My comment about not offering anything new is that there are so many lights by now with a tail switch and a head side switch. Maybe I should have said the "switch set up" doesn't offer anything new. There are so many lights that have recently come out with a double switch setup that - regardless what switch does what - I seriously doubt this one will offer anything innovative. I could be wrong of course.

For me the two switches is a deal-breaker already: you can put as many switches as you want on light but unless they all do the same thing, they need to be either all on the head or all on tail switch (side, tail center, etc. doesn't matter).

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I think the tail can be clicked or momentary, and the side switch will scroll through the modes. I am unclear as to if tail pressing also goes through modes or just activates strobe, etc. The other lights that seem to have this UI use the tail for a full on/off, but, if you turn it off at the side switch, its more a a standby mode.

I prefer the dual tail switch myself like on the XT's....but have not had enough examples with the other UI to really be dead against them....they can work for some scenarios just fine.

:D

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

im' gonna speculate that based on klarus' "tactical" orientation that the tail is a forward clicky that always turns on at max (or double click for strobe), then side button changes modes

side button also turns it on at memorized setting

if it's like this then it's gonna be awesome!!!

and since the driver isn't on the tailcap anymore then perhaps no more PWM!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

My comment about not offering anything new is that there are so many lights by now with a tail switch and a head side switch. Maybe I should have said the "switch set up" doesn't offer anything new. There are so many lights that have recently come out with a double switch setup that - regardless what switch does what - I seriously doubt this one will offer anything innovative. I could be wrong of course.

Thanks to you and everyone else who speculated on it. I think you're right insofar as it's the "switch setup" which isn't new. If some of the speculation here about the UI is correct, it does offer something innovative, I think. With most tail/side setups, from what I can tell, you need to change grips to use the side switch (or awkwardly use your pinky), and there's mode memory to try to help you avoid having to do so (fenix pd32 UE as an example). With this light, that isn't necessarily required ... if you want to use the light in pure tactical mode, you can do so from the tail switch, and it has an acceptable tactical interface (always start on high, forward-momentary, double click if you want strobe, although I'm skeptical that method of strobe initiation is useful), OR you can use it purely in utility mode from the side switch without ever having to touch the tail switch.

This is actually pretty innovative: pure tactical mode from the tailswitch with overhand grip, pure utility mode from handshake grip with sideswitch, no reason to change grips if you don't want to, but instant access to strobe if you're surprised. That's *if* the speculation on the UI is correct. Which other lights are so well-suited for both types of uses in the same UI? Most UIs that try to address both, sacrifices either some of the utility convenience (e.g., Klarus's awesome XT interface, no way to turn light on in lower mode) or some of the tactical UI suitability (eg., don't *guarantee* that you always start on high, not forward-momentary, etc). This interface does both.

Don't know how many guys are out there like me: would like to have a light I can use for utility, but works for tactical use (w/ or w/o firearm). As such, I won't give up any of the tactical requirements (always turn on in high, forward-momentary, etc), but would like utility use to be convenient ... also, whereas I like overhand grip for tactical use, greatly prefer handshake grip for utility use. The number of lights that successfully execute a UI that does what I'd like is close to zero!

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Spark SL series actually have two switches: a tail and head one but unlike other lights with the same switch setup, both switches do exactly the same thing so you can choose the grip depending on your preference and the reason you are using the light for. On any mode, if you just double-click from either switch the light will go up to maximum brightness. With this kind of UI, even under stress or without thinking, the same action will trigger the same output regardless on how you hold the light and which switch you press which I personally find very good. The only potential downside really is that it doesn't have strobe.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good point .... I don't look at not having strobe as a particularly big downside, actually. I'm a Spark fan, and the SL seems like a great choice for utility use only, if you want your choice of either grip. But for tactical use, there are big problems. Double-click to max is outright unacceptable for tactical use -- momentary on a single forward press, is the only one most people will accept (particularly anyone who has ever stress-trained), for good reason. Also, I've heard lots of stories about people mis-timing the presses on the Spark, has to be 10x worse under stress. Not that it's not a great light, sounds like a great multi-hold utility light, but unlike the Klarus, for me it doesn't do both tactical & utility well.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some one needs to explain to Klarus that moonlight means less than 1 lumen.