Long term storage hazard?

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suppose I have a light that uses two CR123 cells, put it in my household emergency kit or (worse yet) automobile glove box, and forget it for a couple of years or more. It seems to me that even if the cells start out pretty well matched, they might end up deteriorating and self-discharging at slightly different rates. If so, when I finally go to use the light, the cells will have mismatched capacities and one will run dry before the other. Isn't that a setup for an explosion or other violent event?

A flashlight designed to use only two CR123 cells might also be designed to turn off when one cell gets very low and before either can go completely flat, so the strong cell wouldn't be able to reverse charge the other. But a light designed to also work with a single 18650 cell wouldn't shut down even after the weak cell was completely drained.

So my thinking is that flashlights designed for and using two lithium cells shouldn't be used for long term storage, unless designed only for two cells and tested to make sure they shut down at a high enough voltage to insure that neither cell can be completely discharged. And if my conjecture about uneven self-discharge is true, a three or more cell light shouldn't be used at all. (Unless the batteries are rotated regularly to keep fresh.)

Protected rechargeable cells or ones with safe chemistry should be ok, but I'm thinking specifically of lights using CR123 primary cells or unprotected standard rechargeable cells.

Could any of the unfortunate explosion/fire events have been caused by this? Or is this a non-problem?

c_c

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 lights in the car with 2 SureFire primaries each. They've been there.... maybe....5 years. They get used very infrequently for short periods of time. I've had no problem with them. They seem very reliable. You could store the batteries outside of the flashlight if you are still concerned.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello C_C,

The basic rule for lights that have been stored with the CR123 cells in them is to suspect the cells immediately if you notice dimming or flickering. Many will first think they have a bad connection and will continue to use the light. When the cells get out of balance many times the first indication will be a flicker or dimming of the light.

After changing the batteries if the light is still flickering, then you can suspect a bad connection.

In addition, it is always a good idea to rotate the batteries out of an emergency light every couple of years or so.

Tom

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
Well I just happened to be checking voltage on some 18650's and then I saw this thread, I have a Surefire C3 Centurion that has 3 Surefire CR123 cells in it. Its been in the console of my truck with these batteries for maybe 3-4 maybe 5-6 years even, I'm not really sure but at least 3. Hot summer sun, cold winter nights but only rarely gets used.. Tailcap always locked out..
So as long as I had my tester out I thought I'd check them.. outside temps today are about 40 degrees. Brought the light in, checked the cells and all 3 tested right at 3.12v.. all exactly the same. For whatever its worth.

Scott

Goon

Newly Enlightened
Im new to Lithium batteries, I havent actually used one yet but I have a 26650 torch on the way from CN Quality Goods, so maybe once Ive used it I wont be able to simply be satisfied with simpler torches (and yes, I have read the sig, post, whatever it was, referring to wishing they never tried lithium and instead stayed satisfied with AA/AAA torches). But I dont think I will leave litihums in the car at all. I will stick to the Energizer multi led 2 x AA torch that i have now, its had the same 2 alkaline Energizers in it for 2 yrs. Wasnt dirt cheap, but wasnt overly expensive (bricks and mortar store bought) but Id say given its performance and the needs of a car torch its been worth it. It more than suits the needs of a car torch (obviously not distance but I never needed that in the car). ie: I can easily change headlight bulbs in the dark or locate a water leak etc if I needed to. That and I dont mind popping it in my mouth when I need two hands for the 'job' at hand(s). Im pretty sure I dont want to pop a lithium torch in my mouth. I know I could get a magnet clip etc, but they arent always suitable, and sometimes in your mouth is pretty much all there is. Im looking into LSD nimhs but I will see. As it is, if I have to buy a pair of Energizer alkalines, every 2-3 yrs, then I dont think that will bother me too much. And after reading up on the potential hazards, I can happily leave the torch in the door pocket for handy access and not concern myself.

Just my 0.02c