RofisLight        

Thread: Rayovac CR123 made in USA vs China

Flashaholic

Default Rayovac CR123 made in USA vs China

I know they're not the best but I have a good source of rayovac CR123's and have a pretty good stock of them. Today I picked up 2 more 2 packs and immedentally noticed a difference from all the others Ive ever gotten. The old ones were a solid black top and made in USA, these new ones are not a solid top, they are still black but the top cap is a square and therefore has 4 gaps around the edge and are made in china.
    Does anyone know anything about these? Who actually makes them? Any difference between the china and US made batteries?

If my description is to hard to understand, and someone can host pics for me, I will gladly take some comparison pics and email them.

Default Re: Rayovac CR123 made in USA vs China

If you have ANY brand of CR123A battery, * made in USA * . . . .

They are all made by Panasonic, in USA.

Panasonic Battery Corporation of America
    makes Cylindrical-Type Photo Lithium Batteries in Columbus Georgia USA.

Hope this is helpful.

Flashaholic

Thanks for clarifying I have heard that but wasn't sure it was true...

as for the new made in china cells who is manufacturing them- rayovac or are they simply rebranding someone else's?

What one is better?

I just sent my email to you and I will host it for you.
    How do you know that they are Chinese made? Is it written on the label?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    How do you know that they are Chinese made? Is it written on the label?
    Yes sir, and the email is sending thank you.

Hang in there guys. I have been trying for the last 12 hours but it seems like my tapatalk image host is down.
    I will try again.

Just to clarify - are you saying that you purchased Rayovac CR123As at a store and found that they were manufactured in China, or are you saying that you purchased some other brand of CR123As that are made in China?

Also, two things I've noticed about USA-made batteries: First, they don't have those gaps on top. Second, if you peek under the label on the bottom where it folds over the negative terminal, there's some green color. I don't know how else to identify the USA-made ones.
    Current EDC: Eagletac D25C Clicky, Foursevens Mini-ML XP-G2. The rest of the collection: Fenix E15, Fenix LD20, Fenix TK41. Nitecore MT2A, Foursevens Quark Tactical QTA. EagleTac T20C2 Mark II, XM-L Neutral White, EagleTac SX25L3, ArmyTek Viking Pro . Oh - and a whole bunch of Eneloops, CR123As and 18650s.

Made in China

Made in USA

Hmm. That's certainly interesting, they look nearly identical. Guess we'll have to be careful with Rayovac now. Any chance you could get a shot of the date code on the Chinese one? I'm interested to see if they use the same format.
    Current EDC: Eagletac D25C Clicky, Foursevens Mini-ML XP-G2. The rest of the collection: Fenix E15, Fenix LD20, Fenix TK41. Nitecore MT2A, Foursevens Quark Tactical QTA. EagleTac T20C2 Mark II, XM-L Neutral White, EagleTac SX25L3, ArmyTek Viking Pro . Oh - and a whole bunch of Eneloops, CR123As and 18650s.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by awyeah View Post
    Hmm. That's certainly interesting, they look nearly identical. Guess we'll have to be careful with Rayovac now. Any chance you could get a shot of the date code on the Chinese one? I'm interested to see if they use the same format.
    I'm not gonna bother with another pic, I have to send it to Benchiew then he has to host it and the image quality gets lost sometime in all that, when I took the pics they were much easier to read and brighter and you could make out the top cap perfectly, not its dark and look the same...

As for the date code the Chinese battery's codes are MFBDP1, all of my USA made ones use a 4 character date code as seen in the above pic.

If anyone has the equipment to do mAh testing, and would share the results here, I would donate one of each.

Quote Originally Posted by awyeah View Post
    Just to clarify - are you saying that you purchased Rayovac CR123As at a store and found that they were manufactured in China, or are you saying that you purchased some other brand of CR123As that are made in China...

Exactly, I purchase these same rayovac batteries in 2 packs all the time, this most recent time I picked up 2 2-packs and while the packaging remained exactly the same, including bar code , the batteries are now marked made in china and are externally different than the old US marked ones. As for the green under the wrapper- I concur every US one I've ever had was green underneath the wrapper, the china ones are black.
    Last edited by Cereal_Killer; 04-12-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
    I know they're not the best but I have a good source of rayovac CR123's and have a pretty good stock of them. Today I picked up 2 more 2 packs and immedentally noticed a difference from all the others Ive ever gotten. The old ones were a solid black top and made in USA, these new ones are not a solid top, they are still black but the top cap is a square and therefore has 4 gaps around the edge and are made in china.
    [...] I purchase these same rayovac batteries in 2 packs all the time, this most recent time I picked up 2 2-packs and while the packaging remained exactly the same, including bar code , the batteries are now marked made in china and are externally different than the old US marked ones. [...]
    If I were to take a wild guess I would go out on a limb and say that the shelf price didn't go down with the 'new' cells?

Thanks for the pics BTW.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-12-2013 at 12:33 PM.

I wonder if this thread should be made sticky to warn people who try to stick to USA-made cells only?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    If I were to take a wild guess I would go out on a limb and say that the shelf price didn't go down with the 'new' cells?
    Well of course not lol.

If anyone has the equipment to do mAh testing, and would share the results here, I would donate one of each.
    If you want, I can give them a run on my CBA III.

I'm gonna' take a Wild Guess . . . .

Ray-O-Vac did NOT make the switch to China production

in an effort to increase Product Quality !

Just a hunch . . . .

_

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    I'm gonna' take a Wild Guess . . . .

Ray-O-Vac did NOT make the switch to China production

in an effort to increase Product Quality !

Just a hunch . . . .

_
    I've yet to hear of any explosion stories with Panasonic USA made CR123 cells, yet I hear of Chinese cell explosions all the time... What a shame.

*Flashaholic*

Buttrock Re: Rayovac CR123 made in USA vs China

Quote Originally Posted by jasonck08 View Post
    I've yet to hear of any explosion stories with Panasonic USA made CR123 cells, yet I hear of Chinese cell explosions all the time... What a shame.
    Surefire primary CR123's explode once in a while.

Any of these cells CAN if overdrawn, mis-matched, etc.

There's nothing magical about the factories' zip codes, etc....its more about the QA/QC, which can be bad in the USA, and good in China, or visa versa.

My real beef with the Chinese stuff is the QA/QC is zero for the ones cloning real cells, and selling fake ones as real ones. The real stuff's QA/QC is not unreasonable, but the fake stuff is unreasonable/should be illegal.

In the USA at least we have some protection from the clone army, whereas in China, its the wild west (Far East?)

My advice would be to contact Rayovac directly and ask them if they are sourcing cells from China. If not the cells that you bought could be counterfeit.
    My Mag Mods: SST-50 , XM-L

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    Surefire primary CR123's explode once in a while.

Any of these cells CAN if overdrawn, mis-matched, etc.

There's nothing magical about the factories' zip codes, etc....its more about the QA/QC, which can be bad in the USA, and good in China, or visa versa.

My real beef with the Chinese stuff is the QA/QC is zero for the ones cloning real cells, and selling fake ones as real ones. The real stuff's QA/QC is not unreasonable, but the fake stuff is unreasonable/should be illegal.

In the USA at least we have some protection from the clone army, whereas in China, its the wild west (Far East?)
    It's not just about QC/QA, its about the safety features built in. Many of the China cells (especially the cheap dangerous ones) often lack a built in PTC. And who knows what other safety features are lacking?

Quote Originally Posted by LilKevin715 View Post
    My advice would be to contact Rayovac directly and ask them if they are sourcing cells from China. If not the cells that you bought could be counterfeit.
    I wonder as well... Rayovac obviously has a lot of their cells made in China. But be sure to specifically ask if they have any CR123 primary cells made in China.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by LilKevin715 View Post
    I called today and while the woman on the phone was helpful she didn't know anything about it, she took my contact info and I just now got a response to my questions.
    Thanks for contacting Rayovac!
    In response to the question you had asked about the 123A battery and production, I was informed that we still do buy from Panasonic, here in the US. To clarify, we purchase from both Panasonic and Desay in China pending on demands, etc. As you noted, you can tell the difference sometime by the battery label itself which will have marked where it came from on the side. The retailer you purchased from must have received a batch that would have come from Desay. At this time there is not a way to specifically request or funnel one manufactured batch from the other, so it is hard to say where they might turn up.
    Last edited by Cereal_Killer; 04-16-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    Coming soon: Killer light reviews by Cereal_Killer - foursevens burst mode lights. |my lights|

Hmmmm . . . .

Great from now on we have to check the label when buying Rayovac cells. I hope other well known brands such as Energizer, Duracell, Streamlight, and Battery Station don't cheap out and start sourcing cells from China.
    My Mag Mods: SST-50 , XM-L