Regulare Alkaline mAh?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
So I just got a my first FourSevens flashlight, QPA Gen2.

Been reading up on 14500 and other rechargeable NiMh AA batteries. I see the rechargeable batteries have different mAh, but what are the mAh rating on say regular AA alkaline battery? How about the mAh rating on a energizer lithium L91?

Also are all the AA NiMh rechargeable batteries less then 1.5 volts?

Will I notice much of any difference in brightness running a NiMh rechargeable battery over a regular 1.5 volt alkaline?

Thanks

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaleaks are junk. On the modes above moonlight, the AAs have 1000 (low) to 500 (high) mAh. Turbo mode won't work well, and alkaleaks leak. I suggest Eneloop AAs. They work very well in the Quark.

HKJ

Flashaholic
So I just got a my first FourSevens flashlight, QPA Gen2.

Been reading up on 14500 and other rechargeable NiMh AA batteries. I see the rechargeable batteries have different mAh, but what are the mAh rating on say regular AA alkaline battery? How about the mAh rating on a energizer lithium L91?

Both alkaline and lithium has about 3000mAh, but for alkaline the mAh will be reduced with load, i.e. with a 1A load it will be below 1000mAh

The 14500 size specification is usual only used for LiIon batteries, not for NiMH.

Also are all the AA NiMh rechargeable batteries less then 1.5 volts?

Yes, but their actual voltage under load is higher than alkaline in many cases.
There exist NiZn rechargeable AA batteries with 1.6 volt, but they have a couple of problems and are not mainstream.

Will I notice much of any difference in brightness running a NiMh rechargeable battery over a regular 1.5 volt alkaline?

Most of the time the NiMH will be brightest.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info...

Most of the time the NiMH will be brightest.

Good to hear!

Been doing some more reading and it seems that some white top Deracell Staycharged batteries 1500 "made in Japan" maybe the same or similar to the Eneloop batteries?

May see what I can find locally for the Deracell's then order some Eneloop's if I can't find anything local.

Thanks.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I have some generic alkalines AA's with an actual mah label of 2600 mah. I would assume most alkaline AA's are around the same amount.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think regular Duracell/Procell AAs are ~2700-2800mAh, but as HKJ said, that's at low current draws, and at high current draws, the effective capacity of alkalines drops significantly.

As a rather rough (but fairly easy-to-remember) approximation, with decent quality alkaline AAs pulling half an Amp, they'll act as if they had about 2/3 of the nominal capacity before showing exhaustion, and at a 1 Amp draw, they'll exhibit about 1/3 of the nominal capacity.

ohaya

Newly Enlightened
If you have a Costco locally, they usually carry some Eneloop packs.

Jim

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Online ordering it is then.

:D

If you hate mail ordering as much as I do (and online ordering is just mail ordering by a different name), you have another option. And that's Duraloops. While Eneloops as such are not widely available in stores, you can get the exact same battery rebadged as a Duracell at many grocery and drugstores. Just look for rechargeabke Duracells with white tops that are made in Japan, and you're good to go. No waiting or shipping charges necessary. The best part? For whatever reason, they often seem to be on sale.

Frijid

Enlightened
you can get the exact same battery rebadged as a Duracell at many grocery and drugstores. Just look for rechargeabke Duracells with white tops that are made in Japan, and you're good to go. No waiting or shipping charges necessary. The best part? For whatever reason, they often seem to be on sale.

I've found them around here in two stores CVS and RiteAid