Eagle vs Zebra AAs

holylight

Enlightened
Hi guys, those that own eagletac and zebralight, which is better in user interface and quality?

For the up coming 3 xAAs lights. Which will you go for if you are going for only 1 :D ( GX25A3 and S5310 ).

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one Zebralight and one Eagletac, and they are totally different. ZL is the SC52, Eagletac is the G25C2 Mk II. The interface on the ZL is VASTLY superior, though. The Eagletac is one of my least favorite lights, and the SC52 is one of my favorites. Quality is about the same, as far as I can tell. Both feel solid, anodizing is good but not perfect, etc.

Personally, based only on my experience, I'd choose the S5310 every time.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The upcoming 3xAA Eagletac GX25A3, in addition to having a side switch, will come with a kit option which includes a tailcap switch - it will function the same as the side switch. Kinda like Spark lights. That's a plus for me.

Generally, I like using a side switch. However, does anyone else sometimes have difficulty in quickly accessing a side switch in the dark or is it just me?

Last edited:

Adobo

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the interface of the Eagletacs which allows you to start from moonlight mode or low mode. I keep getting blinded by my Zebra first click full power mode even tho ive had them for a year, I still cant get used to the interface.. oh well =)

holylight

Enlightened
uhame2ur.jpg

Eagle

ru2e9ybe.jpg

Zebra

Eagle wins at 915lm compares to zebra 900lm. However zebra is using 3xaa to get 900lm ( taking reference from sc52 ). In Eagle 915lm case not sure the stated specs is using 14500 or AAs.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the interface of the Eagletacs which allows you to start from moonlight mode or low mode. I keep getting blinded by my Zebra first click full power mode even tho ive had them for a year, I still cant get used to the interface.. oh well =)

One of the reasons I like the SC52 is because it is very easy and quick to get into both high and low modes. A quick press gets high, a little longer press and you get low. Couldn't be simpler. If you can't get used to that, I don't know what to tell you...

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
"However zebra is using 3xaa to get 900lm ( taking reference from sc52 ). In Eagle 915lm case not sure the stated specs is using 14500 or AAs."

Its got a buck circuit so with 14500 batteries, the output remains the same as AA batteries but the runtime is greater.

The eagletac has a lanyard hole at the topside - i wonder if it should have been toward the bottomside instead.

Will either the Zebralight or Eagletac 3xAA run on one battery? If not, that would be another weakness. What if you only have one or two AA batteries in a pinch? Yes, use another light.

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagles soar high in the sky and can see really far, they are quick and deadly. Zebras are dumb herd animals that stick together for safety in numbers. They step in their own poop.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagles soar high in the sky and can see really far, they are quick and deadly. Zebras are dumb herd animals that stick together for safety in numbers. They step in their own poop.

stop it looooooooool
mwuhahahah you're cracking me up!!

:crackup:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
The Zebra UI is super.
The ET UI is probably also good, I like that kind of UI with twist bezel.
So that's personal preference I guess.
Other differences to think about IMHO are:
Flood (Zebra) or throw (ET)
Number of levels

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
3xAA, I'm just waiting for one of them to make a 2xAA side by side. Idk why we have just leapfrogged over this format.

One of the reasons I like the SC52 is because it is very easy and quick to get into both high and low modes. A quick press gets high, a little longer press and you get low. Couldn't be simpler. If you can't get used to that, I don't know what to tell you...

Maybe nothing, that he particularly needs to be told beyond that. Especially after a year, just noting how you each had a different experience/preference with it should suffice!

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagle wins at 915lm compares to zebra 900lm. However zebra is using 3xaa to get 900lm ( taking reference from sc52 ). In Eagle 915lm case not sure the stated specs is using 14500 or AAs.

915 vs 900 is about 1.7% difference. The unit to unit variance of these lights is probably a couple times greater than that. It's a wash :)