BATTERY

snnug

Newly Enlightened
This enquiry relates to batteries rather than lights, but I hope someone may help. I have a handheld remote (used for a powerful electric winch on a yacht). The remote notes a maximum battery of 3 amps 30 VDC. The size is about 1 inch long x 3/8 inch diameter. I tried a 21/23 security battery but it over heated and literally fell into pieces. Has anyone any idea of what I am looking for, or where I may find information. Of course I threw the old battery away. Help! Steve

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to cpf!! :wave:

I think photo may help little! :thumbsup:

snnug

Newly Enlightened
Try again. The handset is made in Italy: MZ Electronic srl but they do not answer emails.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those battery clips look to be about the size of an A23 battery (12v)......like the 21/23 that you tried. I wonder if you have a short in there somewhere or a problem with the device as to the reason the battery that you tried melted down. What I'd do if it was my problem is hook my power supply to those battery clips and then move the voltage up slowly while watching the current and then take notice as to when your remote starts to work. That should give at least an idea on power draw and voltage.

If it starts to draw too much power then something is wrong.

I'm making a couple of assumptions here:

1) this handheld device is not the power source to the winch. And the missing battery just powers the remote control.

2) the 3A, 30V (max) seems a little misleading to me. Seems like way too much power needed to just run a remote control, yet I know winches draw 10's of amps or more and so surely it couldn't be for that, right? I didn't see any wires coming out of your remote so I'm assuming it's wireless.

Try to contact a dealer somewhere. I noticed on their website they do mention who their dealers are.........none in the USA though that I could see.

Last edited:

snnug

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I am not electrically skilled, but just want the anchor winch to my yacht to work by wireless remote. I think I may have accidentally mislead. The remote turns the unit on and a red led glows, and the remote then has an up and down button that operates the raising or lowering of the 100lb anchor. The winch is powered by a large 24 volt battery bank, and the winch which has a 4 ton max load. The remote is wireless and I assume switches a solenoid or ??? to turn on. I am in Australia and there are no dealers. The original importer says he no longer stocks them and has no interest. The manufacturer does not respond. Someone said maybe there are different batteries in Euro, but my enquiries go no where. I have looked into the remotes electronics with a large magnifying glass and can not identify any thing that looks wrong. It seems I may have to get a new remote and then "program" which is a pain if I can just install a new battery.

I think your testing is beyond me, but thanks. Steve "snnug"

snnug

Newly Enlightened
Hi Gents. I have found the answer when the manufacturer responded. The battery for the remote is the standard 12v A23, so I had the right battery. He said the battery would only heat if there was a short circuit. There was a protective sheet of insulator tape that I found was punctured. I put new insulation tape over the puncture and the unit is working perfectly. Thanks for your time. You may be interested in the yacht for which the remote was used. www.hurrica-v.com Steve