Mounting a flashlight on my helmet?

midget

Enlightened
Hey, I did a search but couldn't quite find an application for my needs. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a solution?

I have a helmet like this:

http://bernunlimited.com/shop/media...5fb8d27136e95/b/r/brentwood_matte_black_1.jpg

Image tags removed see Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

That i'd like to mount a flashlight to. Probably a Surefire 6P or Solarforce host. I'd like to stay away from options like velcro straps or the two-fish blocks that are sometimes used to mount lights.

Ideally, it'd be a 1" round clamp that would fit around the flashlight, with a flat, adhesive base that I could use some 3M dbl sided mounting tape to connect to the helmet. Ruggedness is a good thing.

I think some type of convention like this might exist, I just can't seem to find a retailer or anything.

Any ideas would be great, thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

bietjiedof

Newly Enlightened
I've messed about endlessly with mounting flashlights to my (cycling) helmets, and I've got a shoe-box full of velcro, rubber and ABS plastic thingies to help. Finally I took the path of least resistance, and stuck it on with a blob of press-stick/blu-tack/sticky stuff so it doesn't move around, and a piece of duck tape to hold it in place. Works perfectly, doesn't rattle or come loose, doesn't take more than a minute to attach or detach, doesn't leave a mark on the helmet, doesn't affect its structural integrity, costs next to nothing... When I go mountain biking, I'll add a heavy rubber band at each end of the flashlight, looped through the vents of the helmet. Belt and braces.

BobBarker

Newly Enlightened
Try some hot glue... Like you find at craft stores. Get a high temp glue gun and glue. Clean the helmet and mount well. And if you are gluing on aluminum, put it under hot water to get it warm (the glue will stick to it better). This is how I did my wife and mine. And short of an impact big enough to take the helmet clean off your head, the glue will stay.
Also, have you taken a look at he Coast HL8? I know it wasn't really what you had in mind, but they work wonderfully as bike helmet lights... And they can be had for around $60 + batteries (and it runs at full brightness on NiMH)
PBB