Review of Charger TrustFire TR-001

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Charger TrustFire TR-001[/size]

DSC_2041.jpg

The TR-001 is a cheap charger from TrustFire that is specified to handle form 10440 to 18650 in LiIon batteries with both 3.6 and 3.2 volt chemistry, can this be correct?

DSC_2039.jpg

The charger is sold in a plastic bag, the specifications are printed on the bag.

DSC_2040.jpg

The contents of the bag is very limited, only the charger and a US mains cable, no instruction sheet.

DSC_2043.jpg

There is a red/green led for each channel, they are red while charging and green when voltage is high enough.

DSC_2044.jpg

This switch is used to select between LiCoO2/LiMn (3.6 volt position) and LiFePO4 (3.0 volt position).

DSC_2045.jpg
DSC_2046.jpg

The charger can be supplied from 12 volt (Car) or 100-240VAC 50/60Hz mains voltage.
The charger makes a weak ratteling noise when when connected to power (this is not due to any loose part).

DSC_2047.jpg

The + connection will work with flat top batteries.

DSC_2048.jpg

The slider can work from 16340 batteries to 18700 batteries and it moves without any problems.

supportedBatteryTypes.png

supportedBatterySizes.png
DSC_2049.jpg
DSC_2050.jpg
DSC_2051.jpg

The charger can easily handle 70 mm long batteries including flat top cells.

[size=+3]Measurements[/size]

• Discharge battery with 1.4mA (1.1mA for 3.0V) when power is disconnected.
  • Charge voltage is about 4.23 volt for 3.6V setting
  • Charge voltage is about 3.65 volt for 3.0V setting
  • Charge current is never turned off, it will just vary with battery voltage.
  • Maximum charge current is around 450mA with a 0 volt battery.
  • The light changes from red to green at about 4.20 volt for 3.6V setting.
  • The light changes from red to green at about 3.61 volt for 3.0V setting.
  • The channels are independent and there is small variations between them.

TR-001%20(PA18650-34).png

A lot of patience is needed to charger 3400mAh batteries in this charger, it takes about 19 hours before the led turns green. The charger will not stop charging, but continue at a lower charge rate.

TR-001%20%232%20(PA18650-34).png

The second channel work the same way.

TR-001%20(2xPA18650-34).png

Charging two batteries does not make the charger any slower.

TR-001%20(BE18650-26).png

A 2600mAh battery can be charged in about 17 hours, but for some reason the charger led is flickering when the battery is nearly finished.

TR-001%20(AW16340-IMR).png

My old IMR cell is no problem.

TR-001%20(18650%20LiFePO4).png

Changing the switch to 3.0V and charging a LiFePO4 cell does also work.
Because the charger continues to charger, it will keep the voltage of the battery at 3.6 volt and the batter will first drop to about 3.4 volt when removed from the charger.

The charger passed a isolation test with 2500 volt, but failed a 5000 volt test, this makes the charger acceptable for 110VAC useage, but doubtful for 230VAC usage. Usage with 12 volt (in a car) is, of course, always possible and safe.

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

I do not like chargers that continues to charger, but it can be used as long as the battery is removed within a few hours after the led changes to green.
The charger is way to slow for a 18650 charger, but will work fine for 10440 cells.
The charger can be used in 110VAC countries, but I would be very careful with using it in a 230VAC country.

[size=+3]Notes[/size]

The charger was supplied by lightscastle for a review.

All tests are done at 230 VAC mains supply using an isolation transformer.

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your excellent review. :thumbsup: 19 hours is a very long time indeed for test of high capacity 18650. :tired:
The charger doesn't look like nice CC/CV.

I appreciate your time & effort for doing this.

HKJ

Flashaholic
19 hours is a very long time indeed for test of high capacity 18650. :tired:

19 hours is until the charger light turns green, i.e. until the yellow line, each test took about 24 hour.
And I did have a bit "fun" testing it:
First test was without sensor on the leds, but when I found out the charger did not turn off the current, I redid the test with a sensor on the led, only problem was that one of my DMM's run out of battery a few hour before the test was finished!
New batteries and start over with the test, this time it worked, but on the next test the other DMM run out of batteries. That was the first 4 days of the test and only one curve done :(

After that it went without any more problems.

The charger doesn't look like nice CC/CV.

No CC/CV, but if the charger had turned off it would have been acceptable.

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
A quick search showed this available for $8.40 in the US which would make it a reasonable low cost option. In the UK this seems to be £12 - £14, which makes the leap some of the Xtar offerings well worth the extra (I only paid £18 for the SP2).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
W/O the CC/CV it would shorten the lifespan of the cells though...as would potential for life shortening with potential over charge/more charge than needed, etc....another factor to consider in the "price".

:D

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
19 hours is until the charger light turns green, i.e. until the yellow line, each test took about 24 hour.
And I did have a bit "fun" testing it:
First test was without sensor on the leds, but when I found out the charger did not turn off the current, I redid the test with a sensor on the led, only problem was that one of my DMM's run out of battery a few hour before the test was finished!
New batteries and start over with the test, this time it worked, but on the next test the other DMM run out of batteries. That was the first 4 days of the test and only one curve done :(

It must have been a lot work to make this test review. :wow: