Angryfox        
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

Default AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

My Haiku AA CRI has been my most carried light since its arrival. Nice and slim, the clip mates up nicely with the body. The three levels are great for Edc.

The beam is awesome, with nice throw at night.

Well done Don!

Default Re: AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    My Haiku AA CRI has been my most carried light since its arrival. Nice and slim, the clip mates up nicely with the body. The three levels are great for Edc.

The beam is awesome, with nice throw at night.

Well done Don!
    Yep this little light is with me all the time. It renders colors beautifully without that washed out look I get from XML lights.

Hi guys,

Sorry Mcgizmo newbie question here. Whats the difference between this AA single cell converter and the one that's being offered here? I'm sensing that this converter isn't just the battery tube pak but an electronic PCB add on?

Quote Originally Posted by plaguem View Post
    Hi guys,

Sorry Mcgizmo newbie question here. Whats the difference between this AA single cell converter and the one that's being offered here? I'm sensing that this converter isn't just the battery tube pak but an electronic PCB add on?
    The thread you quoted was an earlier thread Don used to offer the 1XAA battery pak. This pak will also take a rechargeable 14500 lithium cell for the 3S LE. Some people like the longer but thinner dimensions of the 1XAA pak.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    The thread you quoted was an earlier thread Don used to offer the 1XAA battery pak. This pak will also take a rechargeable 14500 lithium cell for the 3S LE. Some people like the longer but thinner dimensions of the 1XAA pak.
    oh. so it's effectively the same except the earlier one didn't fit a 14500?

Quote Originally Posted by plaguem View Post
    oh. so it's effectively the same except the earlier one didn't fit a 14500?
    They are the same in both threads. The light has two physical parts. The bezel which houses the light engine and the other the body that houses the battery and switch.

The earlier thread was only referring to the body. The present thread is offering the whole flashlight.

14500 is only a size which is the AA dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    They are the same in both threads. The light has two physical parts. The bezel which houses the light engine and the other the body that houses the battery and switch.

The earlier thread was only referring to the body. The present thread is offering the whole flashlight.

14500 is only a size which is the AA dimensions.
    Ohhh. i get it. i was needlessly confused! thanks for clarifying ben! now.. that just leaves... to spend not to spend.

Email sent for Haiku AA Hi CRI 119v tapped clip, flexible lock line and coiled tether.
    Edit: PayPal sent.
    Last edited by yoyoman; 07-19-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Don, do you have any plans to make a run of XPG AA converters?
    The thing is that I really love my Haiku HiCRI AA but I also want something that will suck the battery more effectively. My Haiku lost its High when the primary Duracell had 1,316 Volts in it. My Warm White Quark 1XAA Tactical still works on Max on this cell. I think its due to more effective XPG led.

It should not be. I use eneloop which starst at around that voltage and it works all the way to 0.9volts.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    Email sent for Haiku AA Hi CRI 119v tapped clip, flexible lock line and coiled tether.
    Edit: PayPal sent.
    Now that's a proper order! Great setup.

Quote Originally Posted by wind-catcher View Post
    Don, do you have any plans to make a run of XPG AA converters?
    The thing is that I really love my Haiku HiCRI AA but I also want something that will suck the battery more effectively. My Haiku lost its High when the primary Duracell had 1,316 Volts in it. My Warm White Quark 1XAA Tactical still works on Max on this cell. I think its due to more effective XPG led.
    I have been working with the XM-L and HiCRI Nichias and no plans at present to add more LED's to the mix. The XM-L might have a lower Vf and consequently glean more out of a battery but I can't imagine that it would make that big of a difference. There must be something else in play with your comparison of lights and not being an EE I can't guess as to what is going on.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Recieved my Haiku AA HiCRI Nichia 119V this morning. Love the size and can't wait to use it tonight.

Alright, I want to see what the fuss is about. Email sent for Haiku AA Hi CRI with 1/4' x 20 tapped pocket clip and web Coil Tether with swivel option

Quote Originally Posted by lockdoc View Post
    Alright, I want to see what the fuss is about. Email sent for Haiku AA Hi CRI with 1/4' x 20 tapped pocket clip and web Coil Tether with swivel option
    No fuss, just HCRI nirvana.

Oh I will make a fuss!
    Paypal sent!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by yoyoman; 09-03-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: OOPS

Flashaholic

This looks amazing. I've always been on the fence about McGizmos for two reasons: PWM and AA compatibility.

I suffer from photosensitive Hemiplegic Migraines, which have made me incredibly sensitive to flickering lights. PWM that is undetectable to most people is unbearable to me, including most fluorescent lighting, and backlit LCD monitors (my LED backlit monitor is always at max backlight to prevent PWM).
    Every day I look at this thread, and every day I am that little bit closer to buying a AA Haiku. I can see either a Mule or a Sundrop in my future too, as flood lights are my absolute favourites. This is going to get costly...

Cheers,
    Alex
    Last edited by ASheep; 09-25-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Resistance is futile.

I'm thinking about this new AA converter and what it means for the 123 primary that I love. Since I *never* use 16340, it makes the AA converter seem pretty appealing for a 123-powered Haiku.

Has anybody tried running the AA light engine on a 123 primary? I know it will run fine based on the voltage input specs, but I am wondering what its performance characteristics are like and how it compares to the usual 3S board.

What's the amp draw on the three modes on the AA at 3V compared to the 3S at 3V?

Finally, the fact that it will run down to 1.5V seems to indicate it will suck the very last drops of energy out of a 123 while still running at full tilt. Is this as correct, desirable and safe as I expect?

Apologies if I'm asking anything stupid. I've not had enough time to keep up as closely as I want.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I see that in the "options chart" posted elsewhere, this converter is no longer recommended for 4.2v cells ....

Did something change ? New design, new data, and/or new advice ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I see that in the "options chart" posted elsewhere, this converter is no longer recommended for 4.2v cells ....

Did something change ? New design, new data, and/or new advice ?
    I didn't mean to ever recommend this converter for use with 4.2V cells due to the consideration that any voltage above the Vf of the LED and some presumed overhead, the excess voltage would be burnt off as heat. The converter can handle input voltage up to 4.5 but its efficiency would suck for want of a better term at higher voltages. I think I put in a 3.5V ceiling in the chart and this not as an actual limit but as a practical limit. I believe there are some rechargeable cells that are in excess of 3V but not as high as the 4.2 Li-Ion? I wanted to allow them for reasonable consideration.

carrot,
    I think one way to compare the AA converter to the 3S would be to consider it a "miser" version of the 3S. On high it puts out 300 mA to the LED VS the 500 mA or 660 mA of the 3S, depending on LED used. As far as being able to milk all the juice out of a CR123, yes the input voltage floor is way down there but once the battery is depleted to the point that it can't provide the power requested of the light engine, the LE is not going to perform as desired. I don't know if it can effectively milk more power from a spent CR123 than the 3S or not.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

About to order a Mule head, I want Hi Cri but am unsure about 119 vs 119V. Is there a difference at 300mA? I have skimmed old threads but can't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I didn't mean to ever recommend this converter for use with 4.2V cells due to the consideration that any voltage above the Vf of the LED and some presumed overhead, the excess voltage would be burnt off as heat. The converter can handle input voltage up to 4.5 but its efficiency would suck for want of a better term at higher voltages....
    Understood ... thanks for clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    ....I think I put in a 3.5V ceiling in the chart and this not as an actual limit but as a practical limit. I believe there are some rechargeable cells that are in excess of 3V but not as high as the 4.2 Li-Ion? I wanted to allow them for reasonable consideration....
    Yes, IFR chemistry is 3.2v (nominal).
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    About to order a Mule head, I want Hi Cri but am unsure about 119 vs 119V. Is there a difference at 300mA? I have skimmed old threads but can't see anything.
    No difference in lumens or efficiency. Side by side I would guess the 119 has more of a creme tint whereas the tint of the 119V tends to be a bit more rose. It's subtle and I don't trust my eyes to give a definite answer. I would give the 119 the win but it's a subjective call.

Thanks Don. Final question, do you have any of the fancy/etched clips left, with the threaded hole?

Resistance is futile.

Flashaholic

Any idea when these might be available again?

AA are available.
    A week ago I ordered mine and now it's somewhere between Hawaii and Greece.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitris. View Post
    AA are available.
    A week ago I ordered mine and now it's somewhere between Hawaii and Greece.
    Thanks for letting me know! The "McGizmo: Available Lights and Ordering Info" post didn't have the AA listed so I wasn't sure. I'll send Don an e-mail and cross my fingers!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast