3-way to 2 or 3 Edison base sockets - does anyone make this?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subject says all... here's what I have. I have a torchiere that I like and would like to continue using that apparently is intended to hold a high-wattage 3-way bulb. I've never found a satisfactory energy saving solution to this light until recently. What I'm doing right now is that I have a socket extender, a two-socket y-shaped adapter screwed into that, and two of the new Philips L-prize LEDs in there. That is a little on the dim side and obviously it does not work as a 3-way, but it's the best solution I've found so far.

What I'm wondering is if anyone makes an adapter similar to the y-adapter that I have but that has a 3-way screw base and then one socket is connected to the center terminal and the other to the ring, alternately one that would take three bulbs and then one would be connected to the ring and two to the center. If the former I could get one of the 17-watt or higher alien head bulbs and use one of the L-prize bulbs, if the latter then I could use three L-prize bulbs and have it work as a 10W/20W/30W LED 3-way.

I might also need a 3-way socket extender if such a thing exists as well.

I could probably fabricate something based on what I have now plus an old 3-way bulb and some wire and solder, but before I start destroying stuff I wondered if there was an off the shelf solution. I have done a little searching and haven't come up with anything, but I thought maybe someone had run into this situation before.

Thanks for any help!

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome sauce, at least someone has recognized the problem and is working on it.

However, I am looking for more light than I could get out of that bulb... I was previously using a 40W (really!) CFL in that lamp and was unsatisfied with the total light output. Right now I'm using two of the L-prize bulbs (940 lumens each) and it's still a little marginal but better. Three L-prize bulbs would probably be perfect but if I go to three then I could restore the three way function if I wanted to (although this light is actually in use in a bedroom, not next to a reading chair - but it's the principle of "it's there so it ought to work as intended" :)

As an aside, is it just me or does it seem like we settle for less light output from our lights than we used to 30 years or so ago? I remember as a kid it was common to use 150W, 200W etc. 3-ways in table lamps because "you'd strain your eyes reading" with less light. Now you can't even *get* an energy efficient bulb with that amount of light output, but the lamps sold are pretty much the same as they always were, or even worse, are made with cheap components and then when you get them home and unbox them you find a sticker on the socket warning you of imminent conflagrations if you install more than a 60W bulb...

I would have thought that by now, given that CFLs have been so common but are generally annoyingly slow to warm up in greater than about 23W or so configurations, that luminaires and lamps would now be designed to take multiple lamps rather than providing the same old single E26 or E26d socket... It seems that in new construction the trend is to go with lots of pot lights but that doesn't always fit with everyone's aesthetic sense, plus they're not the most efficient solution either...