Web Electric DRL-1

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
OK, so I installed the DRL unit that Dan Stern Sells. I bought it direct from the manufacturer. Here's the problem...the left turn signal "winks" when I brake or shift the automatic transmission into reverse. Has this happened to anyone else? Vehicle is 2004 Toyota Tacoma. thanks

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That's odd. There should be no (as in zero) communication between any of the circuits the DRL-1 interfaces with, and the reverse lights or anything else that changes when shifting into Reverse.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a bad ground on one of the taillight assemblies causing backfeeding? That would be my first guess, the clue being that it's happening with the reverse lights as well as the brakes. How about turning on the parking lights while keeping your foot off the brake? Does that cause the issue as well?

Have a friend look at the taillamps while you cycle through the various light checks. If any of the bulbs that shouldn't be lit glow dimly when testing any other function, that's 99% certain the assembly that has the bad ground. Or you could just remove both taillamps and clean/inspect the grounds. A little dielectric grease on the connections after cleaning isn't a bad idea, and Deoxit is great stuff for connections that you can't mechanically clean.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Is there a bad ground on one of the taillight assemblies causing backfeeding? That would be my first guess, the clue being that it's happening with the reverse lights as well as the brakes. How about turning on the parking lights while keeping your foot off the brake? Does that cause the issue as well?

Have a friend look at the taillamps while you cycle through the various light checks. If any of the bulbs that shouldn't be lit glow dimly when testing any other function, that's 99% certain the assembly that has the bad ground. Or you could just remove both taillamps and clean/inspect the grounds. A little dielectric grease on the connections after cleaning isn't a bad idea, and Deoxit is great stuff for connections that you can't mechanically clean.

+1 on this.

I've had many similar problems with trailers over the years and they have always traced back to poor earthing. This would certainly be the first place to start when troubleshooting.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
These are all good points and I'll look into them. Did my tapping the backup light circuit to control a relay for aux. backup lights cause this? This only happens on the left hand side and that's where I installed the relay, behind the tail and turn light assembly. Funny thing is, the front turn signal only "winks" when I have not used the brakes for at leased 20 seconds. If I hit the brakes and hit them again quickly, the front left signal doesn't "wink". (My truck also has a towing package with the 4 pin electrical connection...could this be the problem?)

Thanks

Last edited:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think it's a ground. That's just a gut feeling though, although I'm usually pretty good at guessing where to start troubleshooting auto electrical issues.

I don't think that your aux. backup light relay is the problem unless its relay coil is grounding somewhere it shouldn't. However if you have amber rear turn signals (or separate red ones) and are therefore using a converter box to your trailer connector, I suppose it is possible that there is some unforeseen interaction between the two modules...

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Well, I tried the advice above and it's still "winking". Guess I'll have to take it to a professional to diagnose. Thanks for your input.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The winking upon braking _or_ shifting into reverse suggests a ground issue to me, too. I think before I take it in I would move the DRL-1 module's ground wire to a known-perfect ground (battery negative terminal or alternator case, for example), even just with a test lead with alligator clips on it, to see if the problem goes away.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Update:

I've tried every suggestion that has been put forth and nothing has changed. I'm thinking that the logic control box for the trailer wiring is somehow back feeding the DRL-1. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to remedy this? Would a diode wired in series prevent a back feed? If so, what size would I need?

All ideas welcome.

Thanks

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you are actively pulling a trailer, why not just temporarily remove the trailer wiring converter box and see what happens?

If everything starts behaving, then yes, you probably need diodes. Keep in mind that your lights may be drawing 24-27W, and there may be more than one of them fed from the same wire.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Unless you are actively pulling a trailer, why not just temporarily remove the trailer wiring converter box and see what happens?

If everything starts behaving, then yes, you probably need diodes. Keep in mind that your lights may be drawing 24-27W, and there may be more than one of them fed from the same wire.[/QUOTE

I've not been able to find the converter box so far...it's not anywhere near the back. I'll buy some 30w or so diodes and see what happens. I've been in contact with customer service at Web Electric and they've been no help. I'll continue to look for the trailer converter module.

Thanks

Update: found the converter box and disconnected it. No change...will look at grounds again.

Last edited:

Latest posts