use photoshop to adjust photos for comparison?

nomorefun

Newly Enlightened
I was asked to take some beam shots of a commercial LED install while way off the beaten path. I was crushed to discover I left my good SLR at home and only had my Nikon travel zoom (s9100) which does not have a manual mode.

I took some photos anyway with the hopes that I would be able to fix the exposure in photoshop to achieve at least a semblance of comparison.

Has anyone ever done this? All of the photos are f/3.5 but the camera obviously varied the exposure/iso speed as part of its auto mode.

I tried picking one image as the 'base' and used the calculator linked below to figure relative exposure. I entering these values as exposure adjustment values in photoshop does not give acceptable results. They are too strong in both directions.

any ideas?

http://www.easyhdr.com/tutorial.php?spc=ev

markr6

Flashaholic
Hopefully they are underexposed, as I find this easier to fix in Photoshop. I assume they are just JPG images from the Nikon? Depending on what version of Photoshop you have, you can still open them in Camera Raw like you would a RAW file from your DSLR. For me, I right click the JPG, open in Adobe Bridge, then right-click the image and choose "Open in Camera Raw..."

This allows you much better control when editing the image. It won't be as good as editing a RAW of course, but I find it helpful when stuck with a JPG. Try playing with the black level, brightness and exposure.

SemiMan

Banned
I was asked to take some beam shots of a commercial LED install while way off the beaten path. I was crushed to discover I left my good SLR at home and only had my Nikon travel zoom (s9100) which does not have a manual mode.

I took some photos anyway with the hopes that I would be able to fix the exposure in photoshop to achieve at least a semblance of comparison.

Has anyone ever done this? All of the photos are f/3.5 but the camera obviously varied the exposure/iso speed as part of its auto mode.

I tried picking one image as the 'base' and used the calculator linked below to figure relative exposure. I entering these values as exposure adjustment values in photoshop does not give acceptable results. They are too strong in both directions.

any ideas?

http://www.easyhdr.com/tutorial.php?spc=ev

Without a RAW mode you are likely hooped.

You can adjust for ISO as it is a set ratio, but you have no idea what the camera did in terms of color adjustment, gamma adjustment, etc.