TRIAC Dimmer

spencer

Enlightened
I have put together the plans for a fixed lighting project. I have almost everything finalized except the dimmer.

My plan was to use a Meanwell PCD-25-1050-A dimmable driver (datasheet) that uses a TRIAC dimmer.

This was all fine and dandy, I did a quick search and decided all dimmers were TRIAC based. WRONG. I looked around some more today and it appears this is not the case. The datasheet lists some compatible dimmers. I did a search on a few of them and the dimmer datasheets don't say anything about TRIAC (or thyristor dimmer).

What I am seeing is that the dimmers listed are for use with magnetic or electronic ballasts. I can't find definitive proof that the Meanwell driver is one or the other but I think it is an electronic ballast.

My question is when I go to the store, what am I looking for in a dimmer switch that will be compatible with the driver I have selected? Retail packaging is so poor at giving any kind of technical information, I need the consumer version. I think I'm looking for something that says EITHER "LED dimmer" or "fluorescent dimmer." Correct me if I am wrong or am missing something.

Thanks,
Spencer

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the Meanwell datasheet that you linked to, and it says that it is compatible with TRIAC dimmers. The Meanwell isn't really a ballast per se, but might be considered an electronic ballast by some.

I'm not sure what dimmers you are looking at, or what your needs are, but I think that if you buy a fairly inexpensive dimmer, it will have a TRIAC in it. This is an old and well established circuit, and can be made for very low cost.

spencer

Enlightened
I can really make almost anything work. I was planning on using a standard wall dimmer that I can pick up at Home Depot or something.