Ascent Fair
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's the difference between XML vs XML2 ?

Default what's the difference between XML vs XML2 ?

what's the difference between XML vs XML2 ?

Is there big difference?

does XML2 have tighter spot ?
    Admiral of Starfleet Special Operation Forces. We are the vanguard of the Federation against hostile forces.

Default Re: what's the difference between XML vs XML2 ?

XM-L2 is the 2nd generation XM-L.
    It has better efficiency so it should produce more lumens.
    The difference stated by the manufacturer is roughly 20% improvement.

As for hotspot brightness, it should depend on the reflector or optic rather than the emitters you mentioned.

- JonK

When do u guys think XML3 will come out? XML4? How fast do u see these LEDs evolving, maybe 1 level of improvement per year? I'm shocked that NEW lights are still coming out with XML U2 that's 2 bins back from the current best.

I hope that the voltage requirements and drivers of XMLs stay compatible down thru the years because I'd really like to be able to simply swap out my LEDs on my custom lights as they improve. I have really nice custom hosts (all with XML2)

XML2 20% higher than XML on the brightness, and the encapsulaiton is different

And hopefully XML3 will be 20% brighter than XML2, than XML4 will be 20% brighter than XML3...

Quote Originally Posted by BeastFlashlight View Post
    When do u guys think XML3 will come out? XML4? How fast do u see these LEDs evolving, maybe 1 level of improvement per year? I'm shocked that NEW lights are still coming out with XML U2 that's 2 bins back from the current best.

I hope that the voltage requirements and drivers of XMLs stay compatible down thru the years because I'd really like to be able to simply swap out my LEDs on my custom lights as they improve. I have really nice custom hosts (all with XML2)
    There's no set amount of improvement. Sometimes, they make the die smaller, and throw is improved, sometimes they squeak some more lumens out of them, etc.

The way I see it, just get the light that does what you need it to NOW. If its working for you, you're done. If you want a light that's smaller but the same performance, or, find it WASN'T working for you...then get a better light when available, and so forth.

So, does it generate the same amount of heat at the same lumen value?

Ok here are the improvements...
    -Die shrink of around 10%
    -Die change to new SiC generation (new process beginning with the XB-D)
    -Binning at 85 degrees celsius(used to be 25 degrees)
    -Removal of current spreaders and reduction in bond wires by 1(so we can drive it to 6A without the wires melting
    -Efficiency increase of around 10% (at 85C)
    -Substantial cost reductions (half the lumen per dollar cost)
    -Longer L70 lifetime
    -And dome is easier to remove (personal experience)...

I think it's a good upgrade.
    Last edited by yifu; 05-09-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ROB21 View Post
    If it is more efficient, then no, it would generate LESS heat at the same lumen value.
    PPDBillet HexLamp
    Fenix -- NiteCore --SolarForce-- EagleTac -- QtrHorse -- Crelant -- NitEye -- Lenser -- and... a graveyard of Maglights w a few on life support.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    The way I see it, just get the light that does what you need it to NOW. If its working for you, you're done.
    I'm pretty satisfied with my mods, but the #1 reason i will continue to upgrade the LEDs if I can will be for the improved light to heat ratio, the ideal goal being the point where they can run continuously without over heating. Like the SolarStorm that we have how great would it be for that to handle the heat continuously?

Flashaholic*

Let's keep things on topic.

Yifu, great information. That is the first time I have seen such concise information. Was there a single source for the information? When I read the Cree documentation it didn't mention all those details.
    Note to self, turn off flashlight when a plane is over head. Don't want them trying to land.

Quote Originally Posted by yifu View Post
    Ok here are the improvements...
    -Die change to SiC (new process beginning with the XB-D)
    -Removal of bond wires (so we can drive it to 6A without the wires melting
    -Efficiency increase of 10% (at 85C)
    -Longer L70 lifetime
    -And dome is easier to remove...

I think it's a good upgrade.
    A few points that are just blatantly wrong here. Cree has always used SiC wafers for their LEDs. XM-L2 is just the 3rd gen SiC product, but nothing fundamentally different on that front. Also, the bond wires are still there, in fact instead of 3 of them there are now only 2 which is the probable reason for the Vf of the XM-L2 being higher. What was removed were the current spreaders on the top of the chip and went to a new FC style.

Yes, i phrased it wrong, i meant a new SiC process which reduces cost, and yeah i meant current spreaders, which tended to melt when driven very hard, even though the phosphor could take more... Now the XML2 can put out nearly 1500 lumens at 6A with good heatsinking. I will rephrase everything
    -Die change to new SiC process (new process beginning with the XB-D)
    -Removal of current spreaders and reduction in bond wires from 3 to 2 (so we can drive it to 6A without the wires melting and the aspheric beam looks nicer
    -Efficiency increase of 10% (at 85C)
    -Longer L70 lifetime
    -And dome is easier to remove (personal experience) for more throw...
    Last edited by yifu; 05-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Is the lumen-per-dollar point related to what it currently costs Cree to make one device compared to the other, or is it a bit of a spurious PR thing - a comparison over time between product costs or prices at launch, not between devices at the same point in time?

LEDs used to be more expensive, but all that seems relevant for a designer at the moment is what's currently available and what the current price/performance is, and maybe what is expected to happen in the near future.

Flashaholic*

The spec sheets say 3000mA max current. Where did you find the 6A spec?
    Note to self, turn off flashlight when a plane is over head. Don't want them trying to land.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BeastFlashlight View Post
    I hope that the voltage requirements and drivers of XMLs stay compatible down thru the years because I'd really like to be able to simply swap out my LEDs on my custom lights as they improve.
    As long as you are using constant current drivers then it shouldn't matter a damn, unless for some bizarre reason the Vf jumps massively. Most are decreasing substantially, which just means you'll run with the same current for longer before the driver gets out of regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketBeam View Post
    There is no spec; this is purely through people's experimentation, you'll find here that we see max limits as a challenge rather than a rule Note that you need seriosly good thermal dissipation to do this kind of thing. Also the spec sheets are written with a mind of reaching thousands of hours runtime; most here will never run a flashlight anywhere near that long, so can afford to push the LED further than specced.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketBeam View Post
    Good manufacturers of anything ALWAYs intentionally underrate their products, i.e. McClickys rated for 3A can take around 8A before melting, hard disks with MTBF of 1 million hours can almost always take more, a lift rated for 15 people can definitely take 50 or more before snapping. The 3A rating is just the conservative suggestion made by Cree for safe operation over tens of thousands of hours, the lumen increase after that is almost linear until 5A, which means that it can take a heck of a lot more.

We CPFers around here like to take things to the next level, for instance, the DEFT-X runs an XPG2 at double its 'max current' for nearly 800 lumens out the front and half the stuff on the B/S/T are overdriven for example. The XML2 will output nearly 1700 lumens at a 6A driven current on a direct to copper setup, and if that is then dedomed you will be looking at a 200% in lux over a 3A domed XML2 in the same light. Long term stability is an issue but after running a dedomed AND overdriven LED for hundreds of hours no loss showed up on a lux meter. After that time some new LED would have come up anyways so L70 lifetime is irrelevant for flashlight use.
    Last edited by yifu; 05-10-2013 at 09:10 PM.

also , color spectrum is different.

Is this one of the smallest and most powerful chips manufactored to date?

I thought both XM-L and XM-L2 employ 4mm^2 dice?

yifu - how do you remove the dome?

Quote Originally Posted by ROB21 View Post
    More efficient means that more energy is converted to light, thus lowering the amount of heat generated.

Wow so I wont break my LEDs if I push them over 3A?
    At 3A measured with a thermal infrared gun I measure 60 dC at most. Guess I can push them till they reach 85dC?
    @StudFreeman the XM L2 is 5mm X 5mm thus 25mm^2.

Flashaholic

Really depends on your heatsinking and how long you are going to be running them at a time. If you can get the heat out before it builds up then yeah you could likely push it further than 3Amps. Recommendation would probably be for a direct-to-copper MCPCB to try to get as much heat out and spread as efficiently as possible, then figuring out your heatsink; if your path from the LED heatpad to the heatsink is restricted, then no matter how good a heatsink you have you are going to have bottlenecking issues at these higher currents.
    RE: needing a passive heatsink (other thread), you might need to investigate heatpipes, but they are expensive. Cheapest source is probably from computers, see if anyone isn't using their powermac anymore

PS. From what I've read along the way you should take the IR gun readings with a grain of salt; can't remember the specifics though. Might be to do with not being able to get a reading of the actual junction?

Does direct-to-copper MCPCB mean the conducting material is copper in stead of the aluminum one that I currently have?
    Yeah I dont really believe the IR gun either, when I put my finger on it I can clearly feel its more than 60 degrees C!

Flashaholic

Direct-to-copper is the latest craze going around here; not only is it a copper board instead of aluminium, the major point is that the LED's thermal pad is actually soldered directly to the copper, rather than onto an intermediary copper plane that is bonded to the underlying board. This bonding was a bottleneck. The theory (and seemingly tests bear it out) is that there is a much more direct and unrestricted thermal path which goes directly to a copper heatspreader (the board), meaning you have a big area to transfer your heat out of into your heatsink, meaning you could be able to suck out the heat before it builds up in the junction and is detremental to performance/longevity.

NB: the ideas have been tossed around here for several years, but only really recently have some manufacturers started mass-producing them, making it a hell of a lot cheaper; you can get them for about $2 each somewhere around here, as opposed to the previous custom machining costs of say $30 a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGuE_StreaK View Post
    Direct-to-copper is the latest craze going around here; not only is it a copper board instead of aluminium, the major point is that the LED's thermal pad is actually soldered directly to the copper, rather than onto an intermediary copper plane that is bonded to the underlying board. This bonding was a bottleneck. The theory (and seemingly tests bear it out) is that there is a much more direct and unrestricted thermal path which goes directly to a copper heatspreader (the board), meaning you have a big area to transfer your heat out of into your heatsink, meaning you could be able to suck out the heat before it builds up in the junction and is detremental to performance/longevity.
    To be more specific, it isn't just the bonding, it's the thin layer of fiberglass insulation (it's actually a very thin circuit board) that causes the thermal 'bottleneck'. The conductivity of FR4 (commonly used PCB material) is about 1400 times less than copper, and about 700 times less than aluminum, so even a very thin layer has a big impact.

So with a direct to copper board the insulating layer will only be beneath the solder pads and not beneath the heat pad in the middle? Sounds awesome, doubt that I can get those reasonably priced in South Africa though!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Botha View Post
    So with a direct to copper board the insulating layer will only be beneath the solder pads and not beneath the heat pad in the middle? Sounds awesome
    Yes. 'tis.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Botha View Post
    doubt that I can get those reasonably priced in South Africa though!
    Not in South Africa, but someone here (vestureofblood I believe?) is selling them for extremely reasonable prices, with only a couple of bucks shipping anywhere in the world. In fact, the pricing is much much better than actually ordering direct from the manufacturer!?

Quote Originally Posted by yifu View Post
    That's the first I've heard of this. Got any links to prove that?