Best diesel truck for 5th wheel?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's something I simply don't know anything about.

We are thinking of getting a 5th wheel RV (haven't picked it yet). Not the biggest 5th wheel RV but one suitable for minimalist full timing.

I definitely want a diesel pick up for the tow vehicle. So far I've found folks liking the Cummins diesel in the Dodge trucks, although... Dodge doesn't make an extended cab version (only a true 4 door).

Anybody got good experience on which truck offers the best diesel?

Thanks!

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG! you gona start a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge shootout here!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Where is Diesel Dave? He will know.

Are you sure you want a 5th wheel and not a normal trailerable one? I know they can't be as large, but it opens up more possibilities and they are easier to attach / dis-attach. My uncle had a very large trailerable one, but it didn't seem as sturdy as the 5th wheel he got later. But then again he couldn't pull the 5th wheel with the suburban either.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Though I drive an older non-turbo 7.3 IHI which has been nearly flawless....

I would HAVE to vote CUMMINS! My buddies 2001 pulled a HEAVY bumper drag trailer from Chicago to Houston without a stop except for fuel! The brakes on his 250 got WARM!!! doing it, but if ever I have to replace my 1990 F350 I'm getting a couple three year old Dodge Cummins!!!!

I have heard some bad stuff about the new 6.0 Powerstroke, and some BAD!!! stuff about the Duramax! I haven't heard a lick of bad about the newest Cummins.

So to sum it up, I drive Ford, but I COVET a Dodge!!!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive always wondered what kinda gas miles do them big diesels get.i assume a lot better then gas motors?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I get 15 with a tailwind and going downhill.

We got around 18.5 on that trip, and buddy gets around 20 in day to day driving.

[/ QUOTE ]that aint bad at all considers what it will pull

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Of course I must say Chevy/GMC but the Dodge would be my second choice but only with a 6 speed manual in the Dodge. I don't have any experience with the new Dodge auto tranny to know if it's better than the old one, which was prone to die when used as a puller.

If you are going to get a 2000 or older I would say the Dodge with the standard trans. or the F250 with a standard trans. or auto if your load isn't too heavy, say...under 8k pounds.

It really goes to what you like. They are all nice rigs and the competition keeps getting stiffer. GM is raising the HP of the Duramax by 10HP this year. I heard they reduced emissions so they added HP to compensate.

They are all expensive and from a dollar and cents standpoint you probably won't ever recover the cost of the diesel in fuel savings because you aren't pulling all the time.

Ikendu, which one runs better or is easier is set up for biodiesel?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
DieselDave said: ...won't ever recover the cost of the diesel in fuel savings...which one runs better or is easier is set up for biodiesel?

Actually, the cost issue is all about biodiesel. I figure with a 5th wheel RV, the bed can be mostly empty...as in mostly available for an auxillary fuel tank to run Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO).

SVO can be obtained virtually anywhere at *no cost*. And...unlike biodiesel, SVO requires no chemicals or processing (other than straining out the french fries when you fill the tank)...so, you can use SVO on a trip with no chemicals or processing equipment brought along.

What you DO is... add an aux tank, with a heater (run off of coolant lines from the engine). SVO won't flow in a diesel fuel system until you heat it to 165F to make it thin enough to operate. Once you warm your engine (and aux tank) up on regular diesel (or biodiesel for that matter), you throw a switch to run on 165F SVO. You must flush the fuel system 1 minute before you stop the engine with regular diesel (or BD).

Anyway...once you have the heated aux tank, you could drive cross country for basically NO fuel cost. That's the real advantage of a diesel tow vehicle over a gasser (plus all of that lovely torque). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know two people with Excursions (those bus sized SUVs)
One guy has the V-10 gas and the other has a diesel. The gas one gets 10 city with the diesel netting 18 MPG. The diesel gets 23 on the highway, considering the vehicle weighs 7,000 pounds...that is amazing! He had to pay $4K more for the diesel but it will pay for itself in fuel in a few years.
If I had to get a diesel, it would be the Cummins... those are great engines.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
An RV site is recommending that if I get a diesel to pull a 5th wheel, I should get an "exhaust brake" 'cause a diesel won't help the vehicle slow down much on a down grade.

Is this some kind of exhaust restriction to build up back pressure? ...apparently a 3rd party option only?

Another thought on diesel cost... when I bought my Golf TDI, it cost $1200 more for the diesel. But, when I looked at used prices, the used TDI (diesel) brought $1400 more for the same used mileage...netting +$200 when I sell the vehicle!

THAT seemed all good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock said: ...5th wheel and not a normal trailerable one?...easier to attach / dis-attach

No...I'm not completely sure.

But, I see a lot of posts on the internet that the 5th wheel RV will be a way more stable tow and I see a lot of posts of people who had regular trailerable ones that later upgraded to 5th wheels. I've also heard that the 5th wheel hitch is actually the easiest to hitch up. I have no experience so I have to rely on posts for info.

I have thought of getting the Jeep Cherokee with the new diesel option and then a regular trailer RV to go with it. That rig would (potentially) get me higher mileage (both with and without trailer) but would limit me to a much smaller trailer. For full timing (where I'd sell my house and live full time on the road), the smaller trailer might not suit so well. The specs aren't out yet on the Jeep w/diesel so I don't know its rated towing capacity yet. The diesel will be a 2.8 4-cylinder.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Ikendu,
To the best of my knowledge the exhaust brake does what you describe. Sometimes you will hear an 18-wheeler making all kind of racket as they slow down, that's the exhaust brake. The Allison 5 speed auto. has a tow feature that downshifts the trans when it senses you have been on the brakes for "x" period of time times "x" speed but is not as dramatic as the exhaust brake. I have never seen an exhaust brake on a 1500-3500 diesel but have heard of them.

I wouldn't expect more than about a 5,000 pd. tow capacity from a 2.8 4cyl. not to mention the Jeep is rather small with brakes, springs and rear end to match. I would expect a new trans. and maybe a new rear end.

As far as the diesels holding better resale, that is so very true and it holds across the board for all light duty diesels.

BentHeadTX, 10 MPG out of a Ford V-10 in town is a probable world record. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My experience with the Excursion diesel after driving several of the 2000-2003's for 3-4 days at a time has been 14-16 in town and 17 on the highway. I drove one with an $800+ chip that was a rocket and got 17 in town and 21 on the highway. All my observations were based on the onboard fuel computer, which may or may not be accurate. I love to try and get the MPG up when I drive them so I go pretty light on the accel. I look at instantaneous and over distance to get my observations, drives my wife crazy.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dodge dealer told me that the Cummins for 2003 went to "common rail" technology (meaning that the fuel is injected at a WAY higher pressure...leading to WAY better atomization of the fuel...leading to 60% quieter operation).

Anyone know if Ford and GM are doing this too?

I see all kind of posts about European diesels using this "common rail" technology and how it is improving their operation.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel Dave,
North TX is a great place to get decent mileage, light traffic and highways to get you there. Compared to the FL Gulf Coast, it is close to being deserted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif The only thing that gets worse mileage than a V-10 Excursion is an oil well fire.