Did you see anything really interesting at LightFair?

Harold_B

Enlightened
I was at LightFair International for the 4th time. This year instead of walking the show and meeting with vendors/suppliers I was working in a booth. What that meant for me was that I didn't get to see much around the show. About the only thing I did when I had a few minutes was hoof around to say hello to people I know or to snatch mints from other booths. So I'm wondering if anyone else that was there saw a display, talked to a rep, or grabbed some literature about a technology that really intrueged them? I had a great show but wish I had a little more time and a lot more energy.

SemiMan

Banned
Honestly after the first few rows it started to all look the same. Too many people thinking they are going to rule the world of replacement bulbs, yet another uninspired or unavailable tube replacement, etc. There was a higher cri push I would say. Fewer offshore low quality vendors. The odd cool diffuser tech, etc. But very little inspiring.

Semiman

Harold_B

Enlightened
I certainly agree with the saturation of bulbs on display and the lack of distinguishing features. My take on that was if a company is going to be competetive in that market they will need to recognize it has reached the point of commodity so the product will need to be less expensive and perform better, not just one or the other.

I did make it down to Hall F for just a few minutes and found the LuxeXel (sp?) booth. I'll have to double check that spelling but they have a rapid prototype lens process where they can print a lens array or a custom lens design. I was told delivery in two weeks. I thought that was pretty cool.

SemiMan

Banned
You got the spelling correct and yes that was rather cool. I stopped briefly but my partner was already on his last legs as the show went.

I do need to find out the costs, could be interesting for prototypes, though I rarely have found the time for pure optics design ... but that is what experts are for.

Semiman

slebans

Enlightened
Did anyone that attended see this?
http://ledsmagazine.com/products/38336

The Contactless Technology

HEICO lightingTM's Contactless LED technology is absolutely unique in its supply principle which powers LED modules by induction. Indeed, this technology is perfect to solve energy efficiency challenges with its conversion factor of more than 92% of the energy into light. The ease of installation and reliability of HEICO Lighting™ systems captured the interest of many attendees who recognized the benefits of less maintenance and operating costs by using this system.

The Contactless technology also allows a perfect customization to all projects and applications through wide range of possibilities with the option of mixing color, beam angle and intensity on the same single stranded wire.
SNIP

SemiMan

Banned
Did anyone that attended see this?
http://ledsmagazine.com/products/38336

The Contactless Technology

HEICO lightingTM's Contactless LED technology is absolutely unique in its supply principle which powers LED modules by induction. Indeed, this technology is perfect to solve energy efficiency challenges with its conversion factor of more than 92% of the energy into light. The ease of installation and reliability of HEICO Lighting™ systems captured the interest of many attendees who recognized the benefits of less maintenance and operating costs by using this system.

The Contactless technology also allows a perfect customization to all projects and applications through wide range of possibilities with the option of mixing color, beam angle and intensity on the same single stranded wire.
SNIP

Just very briefly to be honest. This technique is not new or unique for either general electronics or for LEDs. If anyone has seen the floating LED bulbs (came out several years ago), it used induction technology.

I remember PowerVector in Waterloo(Canada) developing an inductive power system for an LED application back in about 2002/2003.

This may be a unique for the specific implementation, but not unique for LED in general.

Semiman

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This statement doesn't make sense to me -

...this technology is perfect to solve energy efficiency challenges with its conversion factor of more than 92% of the energy into light.

Does this mean 92% of the energy delivered to the LED die, or 92% of the energy delivered across the inductive interface? There's going to be losses across the inductive link. The only reason I can think of a need for contact-less LED technology is if the lamp has to move or rotate, a situation that would quickly cause copper wires to fatigue and break.

Last edited:

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened

SemiMan

Banned
This statement doesn't make sense to me -

...this technology is perfect to solve energy efficiency challenges with its conversion factor of more than 92% of the energy into light.

Does this mean 92% of the energy delivered to the LED die, or 92% of the energy delivered across the inductive interface? There's going to be losses across the inductive link. The only reason I can think of a need for contact-less LED technology is if the lamp has to move or rotate, a situation that would quickly cause copper wires to fatigue and break.

And even then, with the exception of galleries, which are already designed to take movement, how many lighting installations change regularly? I think 92% must be the inductive efficiency, even though they try to make it look much better. High strand count copper can take a lot of bending and is likely cheaper than an inductive coupling.

It is interesting, but ground breaking? ... perhaps in some specific market segments they are targeting.

SemiMan

Banned
Did anyone see this?
http://www.vu1corporation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/vu1.jpg
http://www.vu1corporation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Vu1-Lightfair-2013.jpeg

While the light fair essentially seemed to be all about LED, this was not the only technology on display. Vu1 displayed it's "Electron Stimulated Luminescence" technology in booth 108 at the fair. It supposedly has a better quality of light than standard LEDs, though less efficient.

You really need to get off this Vu1 kick... Though the picture is pretty accurate. On a day when the floor was packed, their booth did not seem to be getting too much attention. It's a novelty so people will stop and take a look, but the specifications will not keep them interested.

.... and still no bulbs! If this thing is so simple, why are they taking so long?

500 lumens, 20 watts .... only 90CRI. 500 lumens just using high CRI phosphor LEDS is quite easy now. Even with optical losses, you are likely looking at 8-9 watts at the LEDs, 10-11 for the fixture.

Even if they solve their manufacturing issues, I just see them collecting dust on the shelves next to rapidly decreasing in cost LED versions.

Semiman

Harold_B

Enlightened
Walked past the Vu1 booth a few times as they were close by. My interest is LED so they didn't grab my attention. I made a couple passes through the Switch booth on my way to my spot but didn't have time to look around. Did you happen to see their newer low cost bulb on display? It wasn't in the areas that I cut through.

SemiMan

Banned
Walked past the Vu1 booth a few times as they were close by. My interest is LED so they didn't grab my attention. I made a couple passes through the Switch booth on my way to my spot but didn't have time to look around. Did you happen to see their newer low cost bulb on display? It wasn't in the areas that I cut through.

No I did not see it, but I did not spend a lot of time at the switch booth. I think the bulb is more a novelty and with that design is never going to be mass market. LED efficiency improvements will render their design economically unfeasible.

Semiman

Harold_B

Enlightened
And yet Switch continues to get funded and to get press. Their booth didn't have the kind of buzz it had two years ago but they keep on keepin' on....

I rec'd the LFI summary thanks-for-attending email today. The one thing I was looking for but couldn't find was a total attendance number. I think last year was around 25K and I'm wondering how this compared.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Anything interesting with regard to high CRI LED bulbs? With the discontinuing of the Philips L-Prize bulb it seems the selection is actually dwindling. :(

Harold_B

Enlightened
I didn't see anything especially interesting in high CRI bulbs although there were a few interesting LEDs. Most likely I just missed out working a booth. Anybody else?