FCW-10 / Flashlight & Camping GET TOGETHER October 3rd-6th 2013 NJ+ surroundingstates

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
FCW-10 Flashlight & Camping GetTogether *DATE CHANGE* November 1st-4th 2013 NJ+states

FCW-10 is the10th Flashaholics Camping Weekend- open to just about anyone who would like to attend.

Let's face it, we all like flashlights! Most of us like anything that lights up or even glows, and many of us like knives and various other types of gear. Camping is a natural for us Flashaholics! What better place to test your lights and gear than a weekend in one of the darkest parts of New Jersey, alongside of your fellow Flashaholics. :thumbsup:

WHO can go: Pretty much anyone - unless you have a really bad reputation on the forums, or you are a complete wacko or something, you are invited. I have never had a problem before, let's keep it that way. If anyone becomes a problem of some sort to the group, they will be asked to leave.

And yes, your significant other, neighbors, and friends are all invited too, but sorry, no pets. Please keep the age of any children you want to bring with you to the age of 13 and above -and limited to 2 minors per each accompanying adult.

IMPORTANT STUFF: Belleplain is a State Forest, and therefore there is no alcohol allowed. The park rangers do check, and if they catch you, they will ticket you and ask you to leave the park immediately, and no refund will be given. I love to kick back and have a drink myself, but this isn't the place to do it. Needless to say no drugs, fireworks or firearms are allowed either.

:caution: Please be mindful that this is an outdoor event with sharp things, hot things, things that bite, and various poisonous things, etc. There will be a waiver to sign upon arrival. Everyone must sign the wavier to participate. The waiver is available to you at anytime, just ask, and in addition to being presented upon arrival at the campsite- where and when you will need to sign it, the waiver will be presented to you to read over before you send me your reservation fee. Nothing tricky here, just a simple waiver that says you understand that you can get hurt around things like: campfires; knives; hi-powered flashlights; bugs and snakes that bite; twist an ankle on a loose rock, or trip on a tree root; and remember that bears get hungry too, so don't sleep with beef jerky and candy bars in your tent; etc, etc. and you can't sue me if you get hurt or die. This is camping, be smart, be safe, and no one gets hurt. :) I assume no liability for your well being or safety in connection with this event.

WHEN is it: NEW DATE: NOVEMBER 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th - Friday arrival/check in after 1:00pm and Monday check out by 12 noon. (still a new moon weekend!)

Is it going to be too cold in November??? No, don't forget this is South Jersey... The average temps there for that weekend are: low 60's during the day and low 40's overnight. It's cool enough to enjoy a campfire, and way less buggy than the summer months, and this particular weekend was also chosen due to its proximity to a new moon, meaning it should be extra dark out! Sunday November 3rd is a new moon (no visible moon). :eek:oo:

Check in /arrival - No check in is needed on your part, just go straight to the group camp sites. However, please do not arrive before 1:00pm on Friday November 1st.

As for checkout - technically we are supposed to be out by 12:00 on Monday the 4th, however if no one is scheduled to come in after us, the park rangers are usually pretty easy going about not rushing people out - as long as it looks like they are going to leave a nice clean campsite.

:sleepy:Three nights, or if you can only make it for one or two that's fine, or if you don't want to stay overnight, then you can come and hang out, stay and cook over the fire, and leave whenever your batteries run out of power.

WHERE is it at:
FCW-10 will be at Belleplain State Forest, located in Woodbine, NJ. That's South Jersey this time for a change. And this area happens to be one of the very darkest locations in NJ, and I believe it is the darkest public camping area in NJ! Here is a link to the website: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...rks/belle.html

COST per person: Only $15 perperson for the whole 4 day /3 night weekend! 3 nights or 2 nights is the same price.Everyone is responsible for their own food & drink. $15 isn't a lot of money for a weekend of anything. :broke:

If you are not planning on staying overnight- please come and join us and hang out day or night, as much as you want. Use the campsites and cook over the fire, etc. but please be prepared to chip-in and help pay for the use of the sites. In the past I had set an amount for the non-overnight attendees, but this time I'm going to leave this "donation" up to the individual - keeping in mind that the rest of us are paying $15 each. :wave:

More on the cost: The total cost to reserve the sights is about $200. This is money which I have already laid out of my own pocket to secure the sights are reserved for us and only us. This is a very large and private area of the state park. Yes this is a risk for me, if no one comes, I'm having a very expensive camping weekend myself.LOL So please share in some of the risk with me, and commit to coming by signing up and reserving your spot with your $15 payment. This is the 10th FCW I'm organizing, and I count on my fellow Flashaholics to step up and share this risk with me by reserving their spot. If we have a huge turnout, and I collect more money than needed to cover the sites - I usually put the extra money towards things we can all use like fire wood, fire starters, bug spray, marshmallows, etc. And to cover any return shipping costs of lights that may be sent to us for a weekend review.

What if it looks like it will be a total rain blowout of a weekend - The date change and cancelation fees associated are huge. Early November tends to be a decent time of year, not as rainy as other months, but anything can happen. We will monitor it closely and make a decision in the final hours.

EQUIPEMENT: If you don't have a tent you can get one on sale at Wal-Mart for $39.99. Or ask in this thread if anyone has a used one for sale.

Of course you'll need to bring a flashlight! Bring your own food and drink, and everything you will need to spend a few nights out in the woods. Nothing will be provided. The $15 secures the reservation and payment of the camp sites, use of the camp grounds and parking.

WHAT IF I FORGET SOMETHING: There is a small "general store" located a few miles outside of the campground. They sell everything from ice cream totoilet paper there.

SPEAKING OF TOILET PAPER: Don't worry they do have clean modern flush toilet bathrooms with running water within the state park. We have out-house style toilets and potable water within our campsite.

CEL PHONES: Yes, cell phones work fine from the state park grounds.

WHAT TO DO: Well along with the usual camping agenda of relaxing by a campfire, roasting marshmallows, etc. This location has a beautiful lake, fishing, some fantastic trails for hiking, and pretty much everything you would expect a state forest to have. Please follow the link I place earlier-above to their website for more info.

Along with the dense woods, they also have large open fields with distant tree lines, and plenty of darkness to test throw of lights. And in the past we have always enjoyed a night hike into the woods.

We will likely have a raffle for giveaways.

Bring your bike if you want to ride it there.

Games like ladder golf, horse shoes, and corn hole are fun, bring them if you want.

Of course bring all the lights you want to test / play with and show off to others.

And bring all the lights you want to sell or trade!

At several past FCW events I arranged for various flashlight and camping equipment manufacturers and distributors to provide some giveaways, raffle items, and pass around items. I'll see what I can come up with for FCW-10. Also a few attendees brought giveaways (new and old that they didn't need, want, etc), which everyone appreciated.

For a whole bunch more information and some pictures from past FCW events I organized, check out these links below. Have fun reading all of it if you want, or you can just skip to the pictures, which you will find closer to the end of each thread. Please note this is the first time for a FCW at Belleplain, so you will not find a post specific to Belleplain State Forest.

FCW-9 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...eekend-NJ-NY-PA-CT-area-event!-Sept-14th-17th
FCW-8 Flashaholics Camping Weekend!NJ, PA, NY + AREA on6/2/11 - 6/5/11
FCW-7 Flashaholics Camping Weekend!NJ, PA, NY + AREA on9/30/10 - 10/3/10
FCW-6 Flashaholics Camping Weekend!NJ, PA, NY + AREA on6/10/10 - 6/13/10
FCW-5 Flashaholics Camping Weekend!NJ, PA, NY -AREA on9-17-09 / 9-20-09
FCW-4 Flashaholics Camping Weekend! -PART 2 -
FCW-4 Flashaholics Camping Weekend!
FCW-3 Flashaholics Camping Weekend!
FCW-2 / Camping Get Together (NJ, PA,NY, CT + area)
(FCW-1) Camping Get Together (NJ, PA, NY, CTarea)

:paypal: Please note that space is some what limited, and to assure your reservation you need to send me the $15 per person ASAP. (or other amount if you are not planning on staying overnight) Please do so by sending me a PM here on CPF, and let me know if you want to send me the $ to my paypal or home address and I will provide you with it. Once I get your $ you will be assured your spot for what will surely be an awesome weekend! :grin2:

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FCW-10 / Flashlight & Camping GET TOGETHER October 3rd-6th 2013 NJ+ surroundingst

Reserved by OP for updates:

5-13-13 UPDATE:
I just reached out (via email) to Energizer and to Rayovac, I'll contact Dorcy tomorrow – I know Dorcy will send us something they are very supportive of our Flashaholic community and just very generous in general. Dorcy sent me hundreds of lights to give out during Hurricane Sandy, and have supported past FCW and PF events. Let's see if Energizer and Rayovac step up and send us some products for our use and review at FCW-10.

It will be fun to have a direct comparison of products from the "big three" "joe homeowner" general consumer flashlight companies! —Stay tuned

5-14-13 UPDATE:
Dorcy has responded – yes they are going to support FCW-10
Energizer has forwarded my request to the marketing department for further review.
Rayovac sent an automated response – they have received my inquiry and will be addressed within 10 business days.

7-13-13 UPDATE:
Energizer and Rayovac have failed to step up and provide any products for FCW-10. They didn't provide an actual reason as to why, but FYI I did let them know that Dorcy was already onboard with sending some products – perhaps they were concerned with going head to head with the competition?

I plan to reach out to a few others (like Maglite, Life & Gear, Coast, LED Lenser, Black Diamond, etc.) as well, and will keep you all updated.

8-19-13 UPDATE: I just heard from Energizer - they are considering supporting FCW-10 as well - I'll keep you posted.

8-28-13 UPDATE: Energizer will be sending me some products for our use and review at FCW-10!

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FCW-10 / Flashlight & Camping GET TOGETHER October 3rd-6th 2013 NJ+ surroundingst

reserved by op for updates

IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone - I'm very sorry, but I need to change the date of FCW-10. I've never before had to change a date of a FCW event, but this time I just can not help but to do so.

If anyone who has already given me their reservation payment can not make the new date - I will provide them with a prompt/full refund.

Again, I'm very sorry if the date change causes anyone any inconvenience. Hopefully everyone who is scheduled to go will still be able to do so.

The new date is November 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. That is now a Friday arrival and Monday departure. Good news is that it still incorporates a new moon (Sunday night).

Thanks for your understanding. --Tim

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing this June ? :(

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing this June ? :(

Sorry Ray, I just couldn't get anything together for the spring this year. It has been a tough year for me - got laid off from work - then got a new job -been busy learning the ropes there. -Then one of my dogs got hurt, and ultimately had to be put down after extensive surgery and weeks of rehab. It was a really tuff time for me and my wife. Anyway, no spring FCW, but this October location should be awesome. I hope to see you there! --Tim

copperfox

Enlightened

Sorry to hear about your dog Tim. I had a good time last year, I'll try to make it this fall, but I'm not keen on the 6hr drive. :)

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your dog Tim. I had a good time last year, I'll try to make it this fall, but I'm not keen on the 6hr drive. :)

Thanks, we miss him :(

I hear ya on the 6 hour drive. This location is about 3 hours for me, and while I'm not looking forward to the drive, I know the location is fantastic. Every previous FCW has been in North Jersey or PA, and that area is where many of the attendees have come from. I thought it would be good to mix it up a bit and try a south Jersey location this time. One thing I always look forward to when camping is checking out a new area. I thought this location would prove to be a new area for most of the past FCW attendees. I've been to Belleplain before, and is a really nice location. I hope you can make it this time. --Tim

carrot

Flashaholic

I will almost certainly show up.

Allen keeps asking me when the next FCW will be! And my dad just bought a new tent...

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast

Damn Tim, sorry to hear about your dog and job.
I'm glad to hear that you were able to land another gig at least !

Hopefully I'll be able to attend and check out the new location :)
Hope to see you at PF20.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will almost certainly show up.

Allen keeps asking me when the next FCW will be! And my dad just bought a new tent...

Cool :)

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Damn Tim, sorry to hear about your dog and job.
I'm glad to hear that you were able to land another gig at least !

Hopefully I'll be able to attend and check out the new location :)
Hope to see you at PF20.

Hi Ray, Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. I'll be at PF20, and I really hope you can make FCW-10. This time I'll make sure you get a "review" light!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just reached out (via email) to Energizer and to Rayovac, I'll contact Dorcy tomorrow – I know Dorcy will send us something they are very supportive of our Flashaholic community and just very generous in general. Dorcy sent me hundreds of lights to give out during Hurricane Sandy, and have supported past FCW and PF events. Let's see if Energizer and Rayovac step up and send us some products for our use and review at FCW-10.

It will be fun to have a direct comparison of products from the "big three" "joe homeowner" general consumer flashlight companies! —Stay tuned

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, I reached out to Dorcy today. Now the race is on. Let's see who gets back to me first. I'm also curious to see who is willing to get into a head to head comparison and who isn't.

I read a lot of automobile magazines, and they often have car comparison / head to head tests. I love it when they test the high performance models from the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Chevrolet, Dodge, Lotus, etc., etc., and one of the manufacturers doesn't show up... I always figure it's because they didn't want their car up against the others in a direct comparison for everyone to see.

Rayovac, Energizer and Dorcy all make fine products that fit the market they are going after. I hope they all come to "play" and we can see how they stack up against each other first hand. You guys are likely just like me - my friends, family, co-workers, etc. who know I like flashlights, are always asking my opinion on what flashlight to buy - and they are not looking to buy a $100+ Surefire or even a $60 Fenix or Streamlight. They are talking about the less expensive one they can find at Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, Home Depot, etc. Perhaps we will have some great first hand experience to share with them after FCW-10.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well that didn't take long – Dorcy has already responded, and THEY ARE IN! …"Dorcy looks forward to supporting your Flashaholic community event, and will send out a variety of lighting products and batteries for your testing and enjoyment." COOL!

I'm not surprised that Dorcy was the first, I do have a bit of a rapport with them. They have supported FCW's in the past. Their response mentioned some new – yet to be released items, they will be sending, as well as some of their most popular lights, headlamps and lanterns. They will also include some batteries (likely the DieHard version ones – they have some kinda deal with Sears / DieHard now), to keep our lights running strong.

And what I was most impressed with was that they asked how we are doing in New Jersey. As many of you may recall I reached out to Dorcy during Hurricane Sandy and asked for some help while so many of us were without power for weeks. Dorcy sent me hundreds of flashlights, lanterns, and batteries. With the help of my wife and some other forum members we got lights out to so many people who really needed it. Being able to help so many people out was a real feel good moment for us. It was nice that Dorcy did it, and nice that they thought to ask how things are going here post Hurricane Sandy. FYI for those of you who don't know – hundreds of people impacted by Hurricane Sandy in NJ & NY are still living in shelters, and the NJ shore is still a long way from being back to normal. Here is a link to a post about Dorcy giving me the lights for Hurricane Sandy: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...lashlights-during-Hurricane-Sandy!!&highlight=

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK I got this automated response from Rayovac:
"Thank you for contacting Rayovac Customer Service.
Your inquiry has been received and will be addressed within 10 business days.
Thank You,
Rayovac Consumer Service"

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, Energizer has kinda responded…
"Thank you for contacting Energizer and for your interest in our company.
Your request has been forwarded to our Marketing Department for review. If
there is interest in your request, someone will be in touch with you shortly.
Thank you for contacting Energizer. If you need further assistance, please do
not hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
Energizer Consumer Services"

Stan671

Enlightened

I am sorry for the loss of your dog, Tim. Thanks for working to put together FCW-10 for us. Count me in!

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

TiM: I am ready to go! What..October...OK, OK I'll try to be patient. I'll pay you at Milky's if you make it.

BIll

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am sorry for the loss of your dog, Tim. Thanks for working to put together FCW-10 for us. Count me in!

Thanks Stan. And I'm glad you can make it, see you soon.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

TiM: I am ready to go! What..October...OK, OK I'll try to be patient. I'll pay you at Milky's if you make it.

BIll

Hang in there Bill, October will be here before you know it. :) I'll see you at Milky's