CDs and DVDs with adhesive labels - caution

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked up a few used music CDs which had been copies of original CDs. ( the same applies to backup CDs or DVDs for pictures ) They used those adhesive labels on the CD with the name and other information about the CD. There are kits out there for people who want to create their own picture CDs or DVDs to give to friends and family. They might be used for any event photographs, like a wedding, graduation, kid's play at school. The kit may include the round adhesive label that sticks on the CD, the front cover for a CD case and the rear tray label.

Long story, somewhat shortened. The label caused the disk to become bowl shaped. I could read the first 20% of the disk, then I would start to get lots of errors and eventually could not read the entire disk.

With really nothing to lose, I decided to remove the adhesive label. The good thing, they come off fairly easily, maybe a little messy though. I ran some hot water over the label to soften it up, then my fingernail to scrape off the label. It took a few minutes. The water does not hurt the disk. If there was any remaining adhesive, my favorite stuff - bug and tar remover ( turtle wax brand ) to clean it up.

That got the disk back to flat and I could read it with no problems.

I suspect the label shrunk which caused the disk to warp.

So - if any of you out there are using those adhesive labels for you picture disks or as backup disks - be careful. A magic marker to label them might be the best bet, not as neat as preprinted adhesive label, but safer in the long run.

I have my photos backed up on hard drives. I did create a few DVDs for the kids with just a magic marker label.

Last edited: