Ever turned someone into a flashaholic and they love it ?

jamie.91

Enlightened
Long story short a few years ago I got my dad a lumapower lm31 for Christmas. He loved it!

He gave all the usual about paying too much for lights and that he probably wouldn't use it as much as he wanted to.

But being winter time with shorter days etc he soon adapted, very quickly in fact!

Being brutally honest he can be a bit of an idiot at times and usually I get bored of him pestering me but this time it was for AA's haha :) soon he began buying packs and packs if battery's kind of like myself.

4 years on, scratched lense, worn boot and getting quite smooth he still uses it all the time, 2 modes with high at 80 lumens serves him fine with the runtime he gets.

Then just now I realised something,he's more of a flashlight user than me:0 he uses it every day! I'm a true flashaholic and I struggle to find uses for my lights:(

I believe that true flashaholics are born with a natural instinct where light is concerned, but at the age of 40 (Now 44) he had never purchased a light before and now uses one every day!

Has anyone else ever converted someone who they didn't think would ever take to EDC'ing a light but then they became avid users?

Last edited:

whill44

Enlightened
I was able to upgrade a coworker from cheap 2 dollar lights. We tend to use our lights at work several times a day. He was always having to pester the company for aa battery's and shaking the cheap light to get it to work. He took a interest in what I was using at the time (novatac storm) but could not justify the cost. This is typical of people who know the value of good tools but don't consider a flashlight in the same category. I gifted him with my edc at the time (maratac AA) and some rechargeable batteries with the charger. Some months later the old maratac after several high drops quit. He immediately came to me and bought my stainless AA out of my pocket while using those magic words "I need it and it don't matter what it cost", another convert, life is good.

Devildude

Enlightened
I was able to convert the farmer I used to work with back in the day into a flashaholic. First step off the abyss was him seeing my STL-V6 from onestopthrowshop and next came the nitecore EA4W for edc. Now he is chomping at the bit for me to the Deft-X in the mail so he can decide if he wants to order that or the TN31mb from onestopthrowshop. I would say a successful conversion.

jamie.91

Enlightened
It's great isn't it!

My dads co workers say things to him like
"That's pretty bright, is it one of those 2.99 ones from the market"
at which point he smiles and says you don't get these from the market, I think he feels quite smug when he gets "flashlight envy" lol

Ian2381

Enlightened
Same thing happened to my dad, he now always have in his belt an 1xAA light. Got hima new light and several of my eneloops. Uses his light more than i could. What makes this more satisfaying is how he really appreciates me being a flashaholic, just hope he wont find out how much i paid for each light. Lol

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forced a Wee NS upon an ex girlfriend (was my girlfriend at the time). At first, it was a reluctant acceptance, but then came the stories of how useful it had been that day, and it got charged up plenty. I hope after we split that she got herself a charger and kept using it. Also, another female friend has been carrying a purple E01 on her keyring for years now, and takes great pride in it superiority over squeeze-type lights.

jamie.91

Enlightened
Same story here with my girlfriend, she carries a solarforce l2m in her bag everywhere she goes, single rcr123a format in summer, 18650 in winter.

She also has more uses for a light than me lol

Devildude

Enlightened
It's great isn't it!

My dads co workers say things to him like
"That's pretty bright, is it one of those 2.99 ones from the market"
at which point he smiles and says you don't get these from the market, I think he feels quite smug when he gets "flashlight envy" lol

People always comment on how bright my lights are, they criticize the price I pay yet they are the first to find me when the power goes out. Come to think of it the farmer had a few of his other friends try to beat his lights for output and they had no idea where I had bought the lights that he has now.

jamie.91

Enlightened
Price is the main problem everyone has, at first I expected to be called a "torch geek" but that was overshadowed by the amount of people that told me I was mad for paying that much for "just a torch"

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
More so several years ago, when bright led lights weren't so common. Now that more bright flashlights are available at local stores. It's not a big deal, but I do get a few people to realize its time to upgrade their old incandescent lights.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a former girlfriend whose flashlight I accidentally dropped off a cliff. So I bought her a Fenix to replace it. Last I heard she started appreciating quality flashlights. Maybe I should try that with my new girlfriend.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years ago I was at a party and had my E20 on me. I showed it to a few people and thought nothing of it. Saw one of my friends a few months later and he'd bought a Fenix PD31, 18650 cell and charger for it. Kept it on him nearly always as he found out how good it was having a light on you, even during the day.