New gadget allows alcohol to be inhaled

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_841109.html

"Dominic Simler, 30, discovered that by mixing spirits with pure oxygen, a cloudy alcohol vapour can be created which can be either snorted or inhaled.

He is marketing it as AWOL, or Alcohol With Out Liquid, and says it can be used to consume any spirit.

Mr Simler said: "AWOL has got to be the ultimate way to consume your favourite shot. The effect is unlike any experience to date. The vapour produces an instant 'high' with no hangover the next day."

This invention worries me, since I don't think most alcoholic beverages are meant to be inhaled. The stomach does a better job at filtering out junk than the lungs. It would likely be safer if pure ethanol were used.

That said, this might introduce new problems. Since the volume of inhaled alcohol is small, the hit will be fast, but will wear off quickly too. It will be more difficult (impossible?) to prove that someone was under the influence if they have an alcohol-induced driving accident using the gadget.

Led-Ed

Enlightened
This sounds like the perfect way to blow yourself up!
I'd be willing to bet you would choke your head off before you felt anything-but what do I know .

Saaby

Flashaholic
And drunks already think you can't smell the alcohol on their breath /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the fun of drinking if I can't actually drink it...If I just wanted to get drunk, that's what moonshine is for, and I don't drink moonshine, I drink somthing with a bit more class.

Oh yeah, isn't that more of huffing...

-Jason

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Oh yeah, isn't that more of huffing..."

Yes it is. The arteries in the lungs go directly to the heart and up to the brain. The liver does a good job of metabolizing (filtering out) a significant amount of the alcohol that passes through the stomach before it goes to the brain, so your brain cells are probably going to get hit with a much higher concentration of alcohol in a much shorter period of time.

Doesn't sound too smart.

"AWOL" probably describes the long term effects on your brain after using this method of consuming alcohol for a while...

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everybody! I've got a new marketing scheme to make me more flashlight money. I'll open up a bar that, get this, only serves little Chloroform soaked rags. I'll have matresses on the floor and pillows all over.

Why go through all the trouble of drinking to pass out when you could just cut to the chase and go down hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:

Doesn't sound too smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it sounds incredibly flammable also. Pure oxygen mixed with alcohol? Geez... that's nuts.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep sounds dumb to me, anybody ever hear of a fuel/air explosion.

I checked an MSDS for 70% ethyl alcohol (30% water, this would be 140 proof) and found the following info...

Flash Point: 16.6 deg C ( 61.88 deg F)
Autoignition Temperature: 363 deg C ( 685.40 deg F)
Explosion Limits, Lower:3.3 vol % Upper: 19.0 vol %
NFPA Rating: (estimated) Health: 2; Flammability: 3; Instability: 0

Insanity: 4

GregR

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this isn't going to turn into another dumb way for teens to get their kicks. We have enough problems as it is with designer drugs and ecstacy crap, not to mention the already abused mainstream intoxicants.

This so called inventor sounds like a real ******* - only caring about how much money he can make. I hope someone shuts him and his invention down.

Adron

Newly Enlightened
This device sounds like a good one to "thin the herd" with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It doesn't sound too smart to me, either. I'll stick to my Scotch in liquid form, thank you very much.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
I just sent a form to Ananova about the possibility of explosions. I'll let everyone know if I get a response.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good on 'ya. Go get 'em! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif