Pila 168s use - other than L4?

JanCPF

Enlightened
What other flashlights or slightly modified flashlights will run on 1 or 2 Pila 168s Li-ion's. We are a lot of happy L4 users of these rechargeables and it would be an even better buy if they could be put to work in other lights as well.

Could this be summed up easily?

Jan

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one configuration I am thinking about. It's the SureFire M4 body with a KL6 head. But we won't be able to try that out for a while.

Paul

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
The Elektrolumens Blaster VI will run on (2) 18650's, (need to provide a 18mm to 'D' size adapter), and I think that if you were to turn the tailcap spring around, you should even be able to get (2) 168s in there. It's a 5w Luxeon Portable, in a (2) D cell body. Very nice.

JanCPF

Enlightened
How about an M4 with a 9 volt lamp - which one (if any) would fit? I know that it will run slightly underdriven though, but not much.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jan,

I have measured the two lamps used with the M3. They would be the ones to use with two Pilas. The High Output lamp operates at 6.8 volts and 2.48 amps, the Low Output lamp at 7.8 volts and 1.20 amps.

I have also tested the Pila 150s, which would fit in the M3. Two cells drawing 1.20 amps, causes the voltage to drop to 6.9 volts. Now the Pila 168s, which fits in the M4, has 50 percent more capacity, so I would expect the voltage to be about 7.1 volts at 1.20 amps.

The bottom line is: Yes, I agree that the 9 volt lamp will be underdriven in the M4 with 2x168s -- at about 7.1 volts instead of 7.8 volts. My guess is that the HOLA would also be underdriven.

I would like to hear from folks who have used 150s Pilas in their M3s -- as a sanity check on my mathematical gyrations. Do you find the M3 dimmer on Pilas?

Paul

JanCPF

Enlightened
Paul,

Thanks for your info and measurements. 7.1 volts instead of 7.8 volts isn't all bad for the lamp I think, and you probably couldn't even tell the brightness difference unless you had a meter.

I would like to eventually compile this in some sort of list of the alternative use of Pilas and especially the 168s which a lot of L4 users are getting.

Can you think of other uses? How about the Pila lights? The 168s isn't made for their own lights so they may not fit properly or maybe rattle some?

Jan

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jan,

Sorry, I don't know anything about the lights Pila sells other than what they post on their site.

One other possible use is as a direct drive for 1 watt Luxeons or for Luxeon IIIs. The Vf is critical, however. I tried it with a LuxIII SYOLW and got only a few hundred milliamps. Not too bright, although the run-time curve would be magnificent.

Paul