Glow question

AFCmitch

Newly Enlightened
I have recently received my first Mac. It's a stonewashed Tri EDC that I absolutely love! This light is like no other I've owned, it's bad ***!! I've recently noticed the glow powder is coming out of one possibly two of the posts. Is this normal and if so how do I replace the powder and where can I buy it? Thanks in advance for any help.

AFCmitch

Newly Enlightened
No, will do. I didn't know if this was a common thing I could fix easily myself.

Norman

Newly Enlightened
oh, absolutely, you do NOT want to mess with loose glow powder. When you open it up, it's gonna go EVERYWHERE. And while the stuff is nontoxic, you really don't want to explain to friends & family that those 1000 glowing spots around the house is really glow powder and not flecks of glowing uranium or something. Just send it back and let somebody else deal with the mess.

the badger

Enlightened
I have this issue as well, but the powder doesn't seem to be coming out so much as it just came like this from Mac (I just received this Tri-EDC yesterday). Honestly, I hate the glow powder and had not clue it was even coming with this light. Had I known I would have opted out.

It is a very nice light though :D

You can see the speck of glow powder at the very bottom next to LED

Last edited:

Norman

Newly Enlightened
WOW! That probably looks amazing in the dark!

I'm too poor (and cheap) to get something that nice. The base of the reflector on one of my lights is flat, so I put some glow paint there. It's crude and will never look as nice, but probably does almost the same thing (but a lot less efficiently).

D2000

Enlightened
My TRI has got a HEAP of powder in my optics. I will not be fixing it - I will only be cleaning it all out with an air compressor outside.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's amazing how no one tells me when things happen :) I guess no more glow if there are leaking problems. I carried one around for 5 months with zero leakage. Unless you unscrewed the Light Engine it would be impossible for the powder to leak out as the optic has shoulder which prevents this. I light everyone up here with 1000 lumens and then shut the lights off in the shop to make sure there is no stray powder before shipping.........hmmm strange.

D2000

Enlightened
I was gonna get around to letting you know Mac but didn't want to sound like I was coming from a complaining angle. I know it's not your fault :)
Shipping/packaging from the previous seller was incredibly thorough (kudos to Ben on that one with 3 layers of envelopes and bubble wrap) but perhaps it was roughly treated on the way over by the couriers.
Cloud2go%2008-06-2013%207-51%20PM.jpg

EDIT: I've decided i like the look of it and doubt that particles are effecting the output.

Last edited:

persco

Enlightened
It's amazing how no one tells me when things happen :) I guess no more glow if there are leaking problems. I carried one around for 5 months with zero leakage. Unless you unscrewed the Light Engine it would be impossible for the powder to leak out as the optic has shoulder which prevents this. I light everyone up here with 1000 lumens and then shut the lights off in the shop to make sure there is no stray powder before shipping.........hmmm strange.

I would definitely prefer not to have glow powder in mine, actually. I assumed it came standard without it... I have two drilled carclo optics and tritium vials which I will use for my Tri, so I won't need glow powder.

the badger

Enlightened
Is the glow powder easy to remove? I have flucero28 programming my Tri-EDC now and I'm wondering he he'd be up to the task of cleaning it out of there.

AFCmitch

Newly Enlightened
I love the glow powder, it looks bad ***! I was also amazed how fas Mac had my light fixed, thanks brother! My other Tri EDC that I also carry daily has glow and not one spec of leakage, I think it may have been a fluke thing. Keep up the great work Mac!

Thanks
Mitch

D2000

Enlightened
I do too. It's beautiful. I have since removed my glowpowder. I may replace it with a sticker board, around the emitters and optic posts.