Klarus        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Surefire E1L - 2013 model

Flashaholic*

Default Surefire E1L - 2013 model

Available at Bhphotovideo.com $180!

Who is going to get one? I have 2 of the old ones 45/5 dual stage, and love them. I am a bit concerned of the regulation with the EB1 lack of regulation. Anyone have any information on this?

Thanks Tony

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Surefire E1L - 2013 model

Quote Originally Posted by tonkem View Post

Who is going to get one? I have 2 of the old ones 45/5 dual stage, and love them. I am a bit concerned of the regulation with the EB1 lack of regulation. Anyone have any information on this?

Thanks Tony
    The EB1 issue was overblown, IMO. Having used one for several months, I haven't experienced any issues with the light due to the regulation "Issue."
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    The EB1 issue was overblown, IMO. Having used one for several months, I haven't experienced any issues with the light due to the regulation "Issue."
    I get that, but if I am going to spend $180 on a light, I want it to be flat regulation, as are all my other lights. I guess it is just a personal preference.

Argh... rather same setup, E2L-AA is on my to-get-list (as I really want E2L-AA body that would go with my powerful Nichia219 power-house) and was planning to pick one up for $126 in the US on my upcoming vacation trip (they average $126 old model, $130 on amazon)...

But now that new head is going to be offered... I would have to wait even MORE to get same body and better head as $180 is rather... backing me up where I was for past 12-16 months... I might as well swallow the bullet and hope for even more discount on old model when this 2013 gets out...

Thanks Tony
    I wouldn't worry about it, the E1L isn't exactly 'pushing the limits' with it's nowhere-near-200-lumen power.
    P3X, EB2T, EB1T, E1B, E1L
    In my pocket: EB1T, Streamlight MicroStream

I doubt that regulation would be a problem with this light like the others said. According to the BH photo specs, it's only rated 80 lumens. The runtime on max is 4 hours which is much better than the old model E1B which ran on hi for about a hour or so in regulation. Looks like this light has a newer more efficient emmitter, so regulation should not be a issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter1 View Post
    I doubt that regulation would be a problem with this light like the others said. According to the BH photo specs, it's only rated 80 lumens. The runtime on max is 4 hours which is much better than the old model E1B which ran on hi for about a hour or so in regulation. Looks like this light has a newer more efficient emmitter, so regulation should not be a issue.
    The current one that I have looks to be about 80 lumens and its not the new KX1B. I think the new one will have a higher output than 80 lumens

Flashaholic

Where are you getting This information about the new E1L, is it official from SF? Was it displayed at Shot Show? Edit: Oh, found some info about it. Looking for a new 1 x CR123, 4 hours of output, would be more interesting then the Eb1. And nicer knurling. = )
    Last edited by Patrik; 06-11-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    HDS Legacy 170, SF E2L-AA, Elzetta 2-cell.

Flashaholic*

BHphotovideo now has all the new outdoorsmans in stock, e2l, e1l, and e2l-aa for $190 for the e2l and e2laa and $180 for the e1l.
    Last edited by tonkem; 06-11-2013 at 02:06 PM.

For a second, I actually thought you were quoting output. I puckered!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Up All Night View Post
    For a second, I actually thought you were quoting output. I puckered!
    OOPS sorry, added dollar signs

Flashaholic*

I'm pretty sure the "new" E1L has been shipped for a while now. I recently picked up one cheap from LApolicegear and it came with a KX1B head but the box indicated it was a 3/45 lumen model. The packaging is finally catching up to the product being shipped. This is also discussed here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...w-in-Box/page2
    Last edited by kelmo; 06-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.

The new model appears to have a larger optic, like the new defender

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kelmo View Post
    I'm pretty sure the "new" E1L has been shipped for a while now. I recently picked up one cheap from LApolicegear and it came with a KX1B head but the box indicated it was a 3/45 lumen model. The packaging is finally catching up to the product being shipped. This is also discussed here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...w-in-Box/page2
    No, the new one just came out at shot 2013, 80 lumens advertised vs 45 lumens. Larger optic, etc.

Flashaholic*

What does the new optic do? More flood? Does the new bezel have a different designation, KX1C?

Oh great
    Ordering....
    Thanks for the expensive post pal lol

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kelmo View Post
    What does the new optic do? More flood? Does the new bezel have a different designation, KX1C?
    Supposedly a longer throw, as the head is larger. That is per the shotshow videos that have been done, on youtube. That is what the surefire rep said.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    Oh great
    Ordering....
    Thanks for the expensive post pal lol
    Post back comments when you receive

Done
    I'll give you a run down of it in 8-9 days.
    I wonder if they stuck with the plan of leaving the head unglued so its sorta focusable?

Flashaholic*

Looks like BHphoto is already sold out of them.

I was under the impression that Surefire would use the same head for both E1L and E2L-AA... I do believe that last packaged models of current generation was both shipped with same KX1B head (no reason to believe that they would have different setup driver in heads marked with same KX1B marks)...

But it does that new head will allow some kind of focusability...

No, the new one just came out at shot 2013, 80 lumens advertised vs 45 lumens. Larger optic, etc.
    Well, that might explain why the 45/3 lumen model has seen some discounting this year, less than $100 at various places, used to be about $120 - $140, I think. At 80 lumens, isn't the new one basically just an E1B but with low/high, rather than high/low? Ok, I've heard that the new optic gives a nicer beam...so maybe enough differnce to take notice. Not sure that this a real improvement, I rather liked the "45" lumens, 4.5 hour runtime on the dual level Cree version we've all come to know. Maybe we'll see a few of these now "old" versions on the Marketplace if people opt for the 2013 "improved version."
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    Well, that might explain why the 45/3 lumen model has seen some discounting this year, less than $100 at various places, used to be about $120 - $140, I think. At 80 lumens, isn't the new one basically just an E1B but with low/high, rather than high/low? Ok, I've heard that the new optic gives a nicer beam...so maybe enough differnce to take notice. Not sure that this a real improvement, I rather liked the "45" lumens, 4.5 hour runtime on the dual level Cree version we've all come to know. Maybe we'll see a few of these now "old" versions on the Marketplace if people opt for the 2013 "improved version."
    Now it has an 80 lumen 4 hour runtime, as opposed to the e1bs 80 lumen 11/2 runtime.

UPS delivers!

Anyone notice something surprising here?

Sure looks like a "collar" on the head as described on the B&H site. However, if it's adjustable, I'm not up to the task.

The business end. The head has a spring contact, just like the EB1 and E2DL Ultra

Just a little bit longer than my old E1L

The full line-up. Notice the 2-way clips shown on the E1L-A and E2L-A (mine came with the same short clip as the old E1L, E1E, etc.)

It's still 4 hours until dark so I don't have any solid impressions of the beam yet. I can say that it has the ever popular green tint like other recent releases and it seems to have a similar beam profile, just not quite as bright, as my old E1B (110 lumen).

I'm a little tight on time tonight but, weather permitting, I plan to get some beamshots tomorrow night and have a mini review ready this weekend.
    Last edited by 880arm; 06-13-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Flashaholic*

UH yeah! 2 hours more runtime than advertised, and 10 more lumens that advertised. May have to order me one now! They are already sold out at BHphoto though

Must... resist

Flashaholic*

880arn, does the surefire manual note that the 6hrs on high is to 1 lumen, or?

Oh boy oh boy oh boy
    My quick jump to buy this one seems like an even better move now.
    Continue posting the good news....

880arn, does the surefire manual note that the 6hrs on high is to 1 lumen, or?
    The only information regarding runtime is on the cover of the manual as shown in the last photo in my previous post. Tomorrow or Saturday I will sacrifice a battery to see what the output looks like over time. I just didn't have 4-6 hours tonight to do it.

My impression is still that the E1L-A compares pretty closely to E1B with regard to output. On low, at a distance of 10 yards, I can't really tell them apart. On high, at around 30 yards, I think the E1B has the edge (as it should) but it's still pretty close. However, I have changed my mind about them having the same beam profile. I think the E1L-A overall has a smoother beam and the typical TIR rings are not nearly as noticeable as they are on the E1B. It also has a broader spill than the E1B which, considering its intended purpose, makes good sense. I suppose I should have expected this as that seems the trend with the other newer TIR lights I have reviewed (EB1 and E2DL Ultra).

If my E1L-A is typical then users who hunt white walls will probably not like it. I think it may have the most obvious green tint of any of the new SureFire lights I have seen so far. Even so, it amazes me how that seems to make no difference when outside.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 880arm View Post
    The only information regarding runtime is on the cover of the manual as shown in the last photo in my previous post. Tomorrow or Saturday I will sacrifice a battery to see what the output looks like over time. I just didn't have 4-6 hours tonight to do it.

My impression is still that the E1L-A compares pretty closely to E1B with regard to output. On low, at a distance of 10 yards, I can't really tell them apart. On high, at around 30 yards, I think the E1B has the edge (as it should) but it's still pretty close. However, I have changed my mind about them having the same beam profile. I think the E1L-A overall has a smoother beam and the typical TIR rings are not nearly as noticeable as they are on the E1B. It also has a broader spill than the E1B which, considering its intended purpose, makes good sense. I suppose I should have expected this as that seems the trend with the other newer TIR lights I have reviewed (EB1 and E2DL Ultra).

If my E1L-A is typical then users who hunt white walls will probably not like it. I think it may have the most obvious green tint of any of the new SureFire lights I have seen so far. Even so, it amazes me how that seems to make no difference when outside.
    I am looking forward to your review of the e1l-a versus the outgoing model e1l-kx1(b). I have 2 of the outgoing models, one with a greenish tint and one with a milky white tint. They are one of my fav lights. Thanks again for the detailed response and thanks in advance for sacrificing a battery to determine runtime and (hopefully) determine if fully regulated

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast