Newbie from the Netherlands Needs help

dragonhaertt

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm new in the Flashaholic scene and only recently found out about this part of the forum. I've bought my first good EDC not too long ago and was looking around for a nice higher powered outdoor/camping light.
Until i found this forum.
I would like to know what kind of specs I'm looking for in a diving light, and maybe it is possible to use it as outdoor light?
I don't know much about diving lights and i would like to know what good lights are around, what kind of Lumen I'm looking for and throwy/floody.
Any recommendations? (multiple) 18650's are preferred.

greetings

Grunsven

Newly Enlightened
It clearly depends on your goal, I have several lights depending on type of dive.
For Zeeland I use a UK 8Dr. Large and heavy but with a Halogen so great colours.
For holidays I use a http://dx.com/p/mj-810e-ha-iii-cree...g-flashlight-set-2x18650-4x123a-4x16340-57113
Very bright and lightweight. (not best quality but works OK)
For shining in cavities during the day this is fine: http://dx.com/p/cree-6500k-100lm-ipx8-1-led-diving-flashlight-4-x-aa-112889
Simple cheap but does work, also a nice back up. Also great formodifications.

The first is horrible as a above water light, way to heavy and runs hot.
Second is good above water but often to bright.
Last one will work above water but is a simple flashlight.

Why do you want both in one light?

jspeybro

Enlightened
I wouldn't recommand using diving lights above water. They are designed for a different use, so assume some parameters. Dive lights often depend on transfering the heat to the water (especially the high power LED lights).
The chinese dive lights are certainly not recommanded to use above the water, since they often don't glue/fix the LED properly and will quickly burn out.

Don't believe the commercials that promise you more than 1000 lm. They are often overrated. Perhaps if they use an SST-90, it could be true, but most oftenn, they are not run at max specifications.

Common LEDs used nowadays in dive lights are Cree XPG and XML LEDs.
I've seen many people run lots of LEDs at high power in maglites, but I always wonder if they can run that for 1 hour outside the water. I think this is a big difference with dive lights, which are typically used for long periods of time.

Grunsven

Newly Enlightened
I've also used the DX light with XM-L above water, but I checked that it was glued properly.
It ran for about 8 hours nearly non-stop and for about half of that on full power (counting bats in a cave, and yes I had a permit). It did not even get that hot, not uncomfortably so.

I agree 1000 lm is probably nonsense but it does produce a lot of light.