Inexpensive little AA light Sipik68 & Clones.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inexpensive little AA light

Lol,

You basically just came here and told us all we should check out this great little music player called the ipod.

This is one of the most popular flashlights around. Everyone here probably owns half a dozen.

Glad you like it though.

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

...For $5, it was a surprising nice and useful little light... [excerpted]

I agree 100%. But, as sol-leks says, it is a well known item. If it says Sipik on it, and some of them do, then they are called a Sipik 68. If they are "no-name" then I call them a "Sipik clone". They all look very similar, but you will find small differences in design and construction. Some are simple On/Off and others are multi-mode.

Enjoy the light. Unless you were real unlucky and just happened to "get a bad one," it should provide you with years of useful service.

And, by the way, "$4.40 + Free Shipping" is a good price. About the cheapest I have seen.

(Update: I just happened to notice that this Seller has changed his pricing to $2.90 + $1.50 Shipping.)

Last edited:

KiltedMP

Newly Enlightened

Little did I know. Mine has no name on it. Good little light, though. Won't cry for loosing this one, like I would my Surefire, Fenix, Klarus or Nitecore, etc...

T45

Enlightened

I bought mine from Shiningbeam, a single mode version. I bought a 2 mode version, med & high, and just didn't care for having those 2 levels that seemed so close together in the amount of light produced. Gifted that one away. If someone came out with a ~40 to ~50 Lumen version that ran about 4 to 5 hours, THAT would be a real winner.

okeenu

Newly Enlightened

To me, the ideal configuration for a Sipik clone would be a Hi, a true Low and No Strobe..

Are any of you Chinese mfg. listening ? Also some new colors.....

Remnant

Newly Enlightened

Hmm... OP's flashlight shows that it takes 14500 cells.

It there a similar spec'd, priced, and available light that is has:

No zoom head
OP reflector/SMO without the optic

Seems like less moving parts and a simple design would make for a less expensive manufacturing process...?

mzil

Enlightened

Lol,

You basically just came here and told us all we should check out this great little music player called the ipod.

This is one of the most popular flashlights around. Everyone here probably owns half a dozen.
So where's the current thread devoted to it?

Norm

Retired Administrator

Lol,

Glad you like it though.
Not everyone owns this light, I have handled several versions all do nothing for me, definitely not on my to buy list.

Norm

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have four of these (They are cheap!!). Two are single mode and 2 are multi mode. They are a good value for the dollar, but I do not understand all the "publicity" they get on the forum. I cannot comment of how long they will last. I only use the multi mode model and it is gently used inside our home. Any light should work a long time under those conditions. They physically seem to be pretty robust but will probably not do well if they get real wet. They also are nowhere near 300 lumens like all these webpages and Amazon (where I bought mine) advertise. I have even seen them advertised at 400 lumens! All four of mine are probbaly around 60 lumens on high, maybe 20 on low. I do not use lithium ions in them, so I cannot comment on that, but they were advertised as SINGLE AA lights! I am not trying to turn anybody off from buying one, I am happy with mine, but just be aware they are not as advertised! :devil:

buds224

Enlightened

They also are nowhere near 300 lumens like all these webpages and Amazon (where I bought mine) advertise. I have even seen them advertised at 400 lumens! All four of mine are probbaly around 60 lumens on high, maybe 20 on low. I do not use lithium ions in them, so I cannot comment on that, but they were advertised as SINGLE AA lights! I am not trying to turn anybody off from buying one, I am happy with mine, but just be aware they are not as advertised! :devil:

The listing shows compatibility with both AA and 14500 batteries. AA is 1.5v whereas 14500 is 3.7v. So the max lumens advertised can only be achieved with lithium ions since it will drive the light harder.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

The listing shows compatibility with both AA and 14500 batteries. AA is 1.5v whereas 14500 is 3.7v. So the max lumens advertised can only be achieved with lithium ions since it will drive the light harder.

The vendors I purchased them from did not specifically state that you would only get 300 lumens from a 14500 cell. I was well aware that the light would not get bright with a 1.5v AA, but not all people will be. I just read a few of the current posts on Amazon, and they are the same way. I wish I had a 14500 to try on one, but I do not feel like buying another charger for a cell I would not use very often.

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

...They are a good value for the dollar, but I do not understand all the "publicity" they get on the forum...

...I am not trying to turn anybody off from buying one, I am happy with mine, but just be aware they are not as advertised!...[excerpted]

I am not such a "huge" fan of the Sipik68. In fact, you happen to own more of them than I do. (Unless, of course, I decide later this year to purchase a "quantity" of them for Christmas "stocking-stuffers.") However, I cannot think of a better light currently available at such a low price point. I think that explains all the so-called "publicity" that they get on the forum. This is, after all, the Budget Light section.

Is there is a "better" light out there at a similar price point? If so, I would like to hear more about those, too.

As far as max lumens not being advertised: That has got to be the first thing that anyone interested in low cost lights has got to learn. Perhaps they will learn the "hard way" but hopefully they will learn by "word-of-mouth". (Or, "word-of-forum" :)) And, hopefully, before they get too badly burned by the rampant false advertising that is the reality of most "direct from China" lights.

But, that still doesn't mean that the Sipik68 isn't an excellent value.

Think about it. They are currently priced at around $4 with free shipping! That's pretty amazing. And, unless you get the random "bad-one" they seem to be highly capable of providing years of useful service, even under relatively harsh conditions. (Although, I agree: probably not a good idea to drown one underwater. While reasonably water resistant, they do not appear to be at all waterproof.)

(If you were to get the random "bad-one" most vendors will make a fairly serious effort to provide you with replacement, credit or some other form of compensation. But, even if you do end up losing money, I suggest you simply throw it away, or give it to your grandson as a toy, and buy another one --from a different vendor.)

It might be worth noting here, however, that there do seem to be some "fly-by-night" Chinese vendors who actually seem to specialize in selling true "junk." (By "junk" I mean items literally taken from manufacturers' recycle bins.) Oddly enough, however, such truly unscrupulous vendors rarely sell at the very lowest prices.

Unscrupulous vendors have learned that many people, if not most people, tend to believe that higher prices naturally translate into better quality. Of course, this is often simply not true, but many people are fooled by it all the time. (Usually, all a hgher price means is that when you do get the random "bad-one" you have risked more money than if you had purchased at the lowest possible price. Higher prices do not even necessarily translate into better service from the vendor.)

The other day, I decided I wanted a low cost camera tripod. I knew didn't need a really good one, and did not want to spend that much money, so I kept my expectations moderated. But, I did do a fairly careful search until I found a particular model that appeared likely to satisfy my needs. Interestingly enough, I found that this exact same model was being sold a prices that ranged all the way from nearly $50.00 + Shipping to $9.80 + Free Shipping. (Dozens of different vendors appeared to be selling them in the $20-30.00 range.)

Needless to say, I went for the $9.80 and never looked back. It does everything I wanted it to do. And, I cannot imagine how the other, more expensive ones, could have been in any way "better." After all, they are listed as the exact same item (by model number) and the photographs all depict the exact same tripod. I suspect that they are all literally manufactured in the same factory.

Granted, this tripod is pretty flimsy, but what do you expect for $9.80? ("Real" camera tripods typically cost around a hundred, or even hundreds, of dollars. And, I had already decided that, for my current application, I did not need a sturdier one.)

But, the point that I am trying to make here, is that I am certain that the more expensive ones, of the same model number, would not have been any more sturdy. (I just cannot see how that could be possible based on the design and construction. I am certain they would be the same.) Therefore, if I had spent more money, I would simply have gotten the same flimsy tripod, but would have paid more money for it.

Sorry, I think I have gotten "off-topic." My point is, if you want a Sipik68, buy one and buy it as cheaply as you can. If you don't need, nor want, such a low cost flashlight... then buy something else. To each their own.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good points. I do not think the actual Sipik would be any better than the knockoffs. I remember seeing an article a while back that showed a "brand name" version of this light, so I think they are all knockoffs of something else anyhow! I paid a bit more than $4.00 a pop for mine, but I will not buy from an offshore vendor, so I probably paid a few more dollars ($9.00 maybe) for mine. Still pretty cheap!

El Camino

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone know offhand if there is a forward click version of this light?

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

...I do not think the actual Sipik would be any better than the knockoffs...[excerpted]

I agree. I should have written "Sipik68, or its many clones." I believe that the "clones" are generally just as good, but cheaper. If nothing else, it costs them money to silk-screen the "Sipik" name on there.

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened

Everyone qualifies this light as being pretty good "for the money". Granted, I'm not an expert, but if price were no object, what single AA/14500 light with a zoom, this size (or smaller would be OK) is better, and in what way is it "better"?

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

Everyone qualifies this light as being pretty good "for the money". Granted, I'm not an expert, but if price were no object, what single AA/14500 light with a zoom, this size (or smaller would be OK) is better, and in what way is it "better"?

I am not sure that I know of any, off hand, that come with a zoom. But, zoom is not an important feature for me. (I never use it on my Sipiks. I just turn them on and use them to peek into dark nooks and crannies in the house. Often, I use the one I that I keep in the kitchen to peek inside my bread baking machine to see how brown the bread is.)

As far as a really nice AA/14500 light, the Sunwayman V11R is my favorite. (Others will certainly have their own opinions.)

It is a CR123 flashlight, but with the optional extender, it turns into an excellent little AA/14500 light. (And, of course, it is even smaller when running on a CR123)

In my opinion, fit and finish is nearly perfect, and there is something about the fully variable output control that really "punches my ticket." To me, it is a truly very "sweet" little flashlight. But, such things are purely a matter of personal taste. And, you will probably spend nearly $100.00 on a V11R with extender.

Furthermore, it will still not be any more useful for peeking into your bread machine than a $4.00 Sipik clone!

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened

Zoom is certainly important to me. The added throw is useful in some situations. I also like that by unscrewing the front lens off, you get a tremendously wide, super flood light. You are effectively using the raw LED without any optics or parabolic reflector. This is the only light I own that instantly allows for this without major disassembly or modification. [I'm not including this undocumented, bonus feature in my challenge to find me a "better" version of this kind of light, price no object, but the normal zoom feature is not negotiable. Any "better" contestants must have at least some zoom.:)

Last edited:

Latest posts