New Cree CXA arrays! Now in 90+ CRI in 5000K

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Yes! :twothumbs Just what me and many others have been waiting for!

EDIT:

It looks like 4000K and 5000K are available in minimum 90 CRI bins, and 3500K and lower are available in minimum 93 CRI bins. In all cases, typical CRI is 95. The flux of the high-CRI bins is about 20% less than the 70 CRI parts, but that's to be expected.

Last edited:

znelson

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if TIR collimating optics are available for the CREE CXA 3050's, Bridgelux Vero 29's or any other high lumen output arrays?

eatkabab

Newly Enlightened
How sharp and even is the illuminated 'pad' of these LED's? Can you put them at the focal length of a lens to get an even, sharp, focused spot of light? Would make for a perfect spotlight source...

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
These arrays are quite large compared to single-die LEDs. That means that TIR optics, Aspherics, and reflectors would need to be proportionally larger (in other words, HUGE) to get the same tight beam. These arrays are meant for area illumination, not tight beams.

eatkabab

Newly Enlightened
These arrays are quite large compared to single-die LEDs. That means that TIR optics, Aspherics, and reflectors would need to be proportionally larger (in other words, HUGE) to get the same tight beam. These arrays are meant for area illumination, not tight beams.

That makes sense, but if they have a high enough surface intensity, you can put a giant lens in front of them and get a really cheap, nice spotlight! Like, performance stage style...

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would expect you will have a waffle pattern of blueish squares once you project/magnify the led.
like the aspheric lensed lights that project a nice image of the die.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
i would expect you will have a waffle pattern of blueish squares once you project/magnify the led.
like the aspheric lensed lights that project a nice image of the die.

Would think that with a little defocusing those gaps would all but vanish.

eatkabab

Newly Enlightened
So these chips could make for some really simple and excellent moderate to highly focused spotlights??!!
At ~$20/chip, it's not really a test I need to do, just something to know for the future if needed.

Harold_B

Enlightened
I've been running simulations using the CXA1520 and the CXA1850 designing optics for beam angles of 10 degrees or less. The large emitting area makes it a challenge to keep the size as small as possible. There is also a bit of color change over the viewing angle to deal with. Not awful but it's there. Some of the higher output devices will put out a lot of heat so you can't stick just any TIR or lens on it without considering material. I was amazed at the number of chips in these things. I pulled the phosphor layer of a 1520 and there's 33 little bitty chips in that 8mm diameter.