Driver recommendation for single MT-G2

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to build a light using 2x18650 in series (7.2-8.4v) powering a single Cree MT-G2 (6V version). I will be using a Ledil reflector. Trying to stuff all of this in a Surefire Z46 is proving to be difficult due to the size of the drivers I have found.

Looking for around 3-4a output current.

I found this one that seems to be the best choice so far but it's still larger (diameter) than I would like.

http://intl-outdoor.com/xml-multicell-circuit-board-35a-ouput-55126v-p-543.html

Any suggestions on other drivers that are smaller?

I don't care for modes but it seems like most drivers are multi mode. The fewer the better.

Thanks.

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
How much room do you have to work with? You don't have to use the contact board (21mm) that they provide with the driver. However you are pretty much stuck with the driver board diameter (19mm).

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much room do you have to work with? You don't have to use the contact board (21mm) that they provide with the driver. However you are pretty much stuck with the driver board diameter (19mm).

Room available is hard to quantify. I'm planning on using an M4 body which has a large taper inside. That means "larger" diameter and short can work, but so could "small" diameter and longer. Just looking for the options at this point to see what would work best.

I still need some sort of contact board. I suppose I could replace the one provided on this example with a typical 17mm contact board. I'd have to make the driver housing in 2 pieces then since I still have to get the 19mm board in there.

Becoming obvious that it's a pipe dream, but I was hoping something more along the lines of a P60 size driver.

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
I'm using this 3.A driver http://intl-outdoor.com/xml-multicell-circuit-board-3a-55126v-p-361.html in this 2 x 18650 light with an MT-G2. It puts out oodles of light with a 3.A driver. Flood city. The 3.5A driver is a lot deeper and hard to fit into most pills. In a light this size I doubt the 3.5A driver would make any difference.
14tbpd4.jpg

bf2eiw.jpg

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouchyfoot,

Could you compare the 3A and the 5A driver's you have used as far as output and heat.

In your other thread here: MT-G2 5a driver build you said you were using a 5A driver.

I was thinking about the 5A because who wants less right? Just trying to justify and deal with it's size and, I'm sure, additional heat generated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
They can't be compared. The 5A Driver was used in a heavy 2x26650 TorchLite host with a large head and a large pill. The pill had to be extended to fit it. The 3.A driver was used in a much lighter built 2x18650 host. With the small diameter reflector, I don't believe there would be anything to gain visually with a bigger driver. If you've got a big host with a large head and good heat management, throw as many amps as you can at it!

These are three beamshots (ipad) using the same host pictured in the above post. One with an XP-G2, the next with an XM-L2 and finally with an MT-G2. The MT-G uses an extension tube (T10B) because it needs 6V to operate.

T10 with XP-G2
346rt3s.jpg

T10 with XM-L2
33lcavn.jpg

T10B with MT-G2
bf2eiw.jpg

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if anyone has used a TaskLED b3flex to power a 6V MT-G2 and what the results were.

George (TaskLED) cautioned against it due to lack of voltage headroom from 2x18650 under load. Since it's the only driver I think I can fit I was thinking of ordering one and just trying it anyway.

http://www.taskled.com/b3flex.shtml

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turns out the TaskLED b3flex is a no go. It requires a dedicated momentary switch for changing modes which I don't have. Can't use the power switch to do so. Back to the drawing board.....

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
did you end up finding a good MT-G2 driver?

Yep. A resistor. Going direct drive with a current limiting resistor.

This project isn't at the top of the heap right now so it's waiting for it's turn to get assembled and tested. Not sure if the LED will like it or not but I'll find out.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about finally modding my Maglite 6D with a MT-G2 and was looking for a fitting driver as well. So what about this one on KD? That should work just fine.

rayman