Tactical lights for bike?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know some light companies liek 4Sevens have bike mounts for their lights.

Im a noob about bikes. Im looking to get one in a month or two after i move and start my new job. I suspect I will be riding at night after work.

Since I have so many tactical hand held lights and a Hellfighter, I could mount one on the bike I get.

Surefire Fury at 500 lumens?

Or Hellfighter at 3,500 lumens haha

Any reason to use a dedicated bike light when I have so many hand held and custom flashlights?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
As a visually impaired bicyclist, I mount my TM11 on the handlebar, pointing down enough as to not blind oncoming traffic. This is crucial; most automotive lights are designed as to not shine in other road users' faces.
2000 lumens is probably overkill for a regular-sighted person, so I would start trying the 500 lumen light you mentioned, unless you travel at high speeds (20MPH+), or downhill on unlit paths.
I would recommend something with a relatively wide, smooth, gradual beam profile though, something most tactical lights do not offer.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mount my Fenix TK15 on my Bell helmet with a two fish mount. Works great - secure to helmet and shines a good light path at 40 yards with great spill. Setting is 160 lumens for 6 hours of power using a AW 18650 at 2600 Mah. I ride 21 mph on the flats and up to 35 mph on downhills with abundant deer pre-dawn. Not a problem. I haven't found a need for more lumens given the throw of the TK15 reflector.

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I dont relish the idea of buying a dedicated bike light. I feel my abundant Tac light collection will have something suitable.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Before I got a bike specific light with a 4 18650 battery pack;
I was riding with a tactical flashlight(1 x 18650) happily for 2 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGpBHbEYqeo

That's completely illegal in my home country. Blinking lights make estimating distance difficult, and I imagine more than one of the drivers here expected an emergency service coming up from behind.