my Silva Pave heat problem

lutgulajn

Newly Enlightened
I am a big fan of Silva, and I have used many of their lights.

The last I bought was the Pave. It was great looking light so I bought it for my bike.

P4041881.JPG

The problem is it overheats a lot!
I thought with this tiny light head it would have heat problems but not like this!

I turn it ON and in the first 3-4 minutes it is OK with most probably 550 lumens (like advertised). Then the light start to dim in order to prevent the temperature rising. No matter how fast I ride (35 km per hour and above) it gets hotter and hotter and dim significantly!
So after 5 minutes I ride with maybe only 200+ lumens or so!

In the manual there is a line about this but nothing that particular:

"Note that the bike light body temperature will increase during use. The bike light temperature is depending on light mode, ambient air temperature and the airflow (speed). The Pavé bike light is equipped with a temperature control that prevents the bike light body from overheating by reducing the power to the LEDs."

I do not know what is the case with its twin - the Runner. It seems to me they are quite the same (if not different only in colors) so if the runner overheats the same way :shakehead

I wrote to Silva asking them is that normal. I will publish here what they say. For now this light is a little disappointment for me...

If someone have experience with the Pave or Runner lets discuss the matter here.

Last edited:

lutgulajn

Newly Enlightened
That is what Silva replied:

"From your description I can assume that the overheat system protection of the lamp is not working properly.

Normally when the lamp reaches a temperature of 50-55 degree, the overheat protection will be turned on and the output effect will be decreased gradually but if you start to cool down the lamp then the output effect should start gradually to increase.

In your case when you are up in a speed of 35Km/h it should been more than sufficient to cold down the lamp and the effect output should been increased.

Therefore I suggest you to go back to the place you bought your Pave lamp and ask the retailer to replace your device so you can once again begin enjoying your Silva product."

Everything is clear but this do not answer the question if only mine Pave light does that. It decreases the light output gradually (so the thermal protection has to work) but it still stay hot even at 35 km per hour so the light output stays low! It just overheat no matter of the speed!

It would be great if someone with Pave say how his light work.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
they answered clearly that they think it is broken and at 35km/h it should be cool enough to not do it

Silva themselves are saying 'that is not good, we recommend replacement'

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general, if the surface of the light doesn't feel uncomfortably hot to the touch, there is something wrong with the thermal path or the thermal protection setpoint.

lutgulajn

Newly Enlightened
They always say that - "return it because we have to check" - it is not really an answer.

The light head itself is getting hot to the point it is painful to hold it so it has to be above the limit of 58 degrees. The 58 degrees and above if I remember right from the physiology is the point where the skin start to feel the objects paintfully hot.

So is it something wrong with my lamp or it is the model? In order to make sure I ordered another Silva Pave so I will check how it works.

col allott

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've recently bought a Silva runner. It also overheats very quickly. After 2 mins it becomes less powerful than my other headtorch (180 lumens). Not very impressed...
I've got the original box, but the packaging doesn't seem to contain a warranty. Not sure where to go from here!

Did you get anywhere with your Silva PAVE?