DIY Video Light

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
I've been playing with my Sony action cam and needed a video light... so i've modded a cree dive torch off ebay...

The problem with the torch when videoing was the spot on my images.. from the reflector.. so remove it... and heh presto.. a cheap video light...

IMG_20130627_170423.jpg
vlcsnap-2013-06-27-14h31m36s29.png

So removed the reflector and mounted the LED star at the front of the head and gave it a go...

IMG_20130712_132604.jpg
vlcsnap-2013-07-13-16h32m09s144.png

Got some playing to do.... and a lot more to learn about colour temp and need more light but thats part of the learning experience... Full build info on my blog...

Dakine83

Newly Enlightened
Interesting! Timely too as I'm working on some lights for my GoPro. Was the issue the particular reflector that came with your light or are reflectors in general not the best for video lights? Does the small diameter of the light make it less likely that a reflector would be useful?

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dakine83... i'm not sure whether its the type of the reflector is in there diameter/shape etc.. just the fact that there is a reflector. I took my lead from looking at the dedicated video lights and most don't have a reflector... they just have the LED star close to the lense... like these..

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/lighting/videolight/index

I also liked this form factor... very easy to stow/handle...

http://www.light-for-me.com/index.php/en/photo-video-equip/gopro-video-lighting-system

But there is noway I'm going to pay those sort of $/£...

I'm just modding a second cree light now..to go on the other side of the goodman handle and will give that a go..

Bringing the LED star closer to the lense will help with the light cut-off as well as the second light..

If only I could get the power sorted for one of these though.. I would fit that instead... it would fit...

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-LEDs-Cree/CREE-Solutions/3-x-CREE-XM-L-U2-on-round-PCB-LT-1791_120_117.html

Last edited:

offroad

Newly Enlightened
so i've modded a cree dive torch off ebay...

I have the same dive light and I'm thinking of buying another one or two to mod like yours.
In clear water, any guesses what the effective range would be if you used a pair of lights modded like yours?

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
Clear water.. ahh vacation dives.... Sadly, most of my diving is here is the UK and its mostly 1m-5m vis with generally a lot of algae/particles in the water.... the only clear water I see is in the public pool and thats pretty dire...

I've also not configured the second video light yet but hope to have it up and running for a test in Sept and a dive week in Plymouth mid-month..

So, with a single light, i reckon its good up to 1m ( 3ft) , at 1.5m its start to be less effective... Depends on the overall ambient light though because if its pitch dark its going to have more of an effect, so the 1m is in green good light conditions.. You know when you can see part of a wreck! Close-ups its pretty good..