New walmart Duracell battery

youmansk

Newly Enlightened
ok, has anyone seen these new walmart duracell NiMH batteries. The battery themselves have the "pre-charge" and "duralock" wording on them. They are the "long life ion core" rechargeables. They have a black tip on the pos side.They are 2400mAh 1.2volt. Are they rebadged eneloop? They are pretty cheap, $10.97 for four. 3/4 of the body of the battery are green with a copper top. No visible vent holes. They do not look like traditional "drualoops".They are guaranteed for five years! 400x recharges on packaging. They are made in Japan.

Model DX1500

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
Does the actual batteries say "made in Japan" or just the package? (I'm sure it says something on the batteries themselves if you only read the packaging).

I have never heard of a black top rebadged eneloop, in fact the white top is the main thing you look for to determine if it is a duraloop or not. I would say based off that alone that no, these arnt rebadged eneloops, did you buy a pack or just see them? Do you have equipment to test actual capacity?

edit: seeing as they're 2400mAh I would again say no, these are NOT rebranded eneloops. Just FYI DX1500 is duracells part number for 1.2v AA NiMH batteries, both white top "Duraloops" and black top non-Duraloops (and apparently these) all have that same PN, it means nothing.

Those are normal self discharge AA cells..made by Sanyo...or Panasonic...not really sure if Sanyo is still Sanyo anymore..
Good point, they may be made by SANYO/Panasonic yet not be eneloops, they make several other cells that are in no way eneloops.

Last edited:

youmansk

Newly Enlightened
Does the actual batteries say "made in Japan" or just the package? (I'm sure it says something on the batteries themselves if you only read the packaging).

I have never heard of a black top rebadged eneloop, in fact the white top is the main thing you look for to determine if it is a duraloop or not. I would say based off that alone that no, these arnt rebadged eneloops, did you buy a pack or just see them? Do you have equipment to test actual capacity?

edit: seeing as they're 2400mAh I would again say no, these are NOT rebranded eneloops. Just FYI DX1500 is duracells part number for 1.2v AA NiMH batteries, both white top "Duraloops" and black top non-Duraloops (and apparently these) all have that same PN, it means nothing.

Good point, they may be made by SANYO/Panasonic yet not be eneloops, they make several other cells that are in no way eneloops.

The battery and the packaging say "Made in Japan". I have not bought a charger yet. Looking into a good one. Now sure which one. Anyway, If these are eneloop xx that are rebadged, they would be a really good deal. The strange thing is that they are mostly green with just a small black "duralock" band and then a copper top. They say on the package that charge last for 1 year.

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
Anyway, If these are eneloop xx that are rebadged, they would be a really good deal.
I am 100% sure that these ARE NOT eneloop XX's. First reason being even the newest packages of Duraloops are only 3rd gen eneloops (so they're [sanyo/panasonic] obviously not selling off the newest/best eneloops to be rebranded. They want their own name on the best/newest ones. And two the XX's are higher priced than regular eneloops, again there is no way they're letting another company they sell to rebrand their batteries and then undercut them. Even if I knew nothing about the batteries that's common sence business 101.

Eneloop XX's are their best battery, they don't let them get rebranded. Like mentioned above not all SANYO (now panasonic) cells are eneloops, SANYO/Panasonic is one of the leading battery mfg's in the world, they make cells sold under dozens of names, only a fraction of what they produce are eneloops and only a fraction of those get sold off to be rebranded. Its very likely that multiple brands of NiMH cells we don't know of, including low performers, are produced by SANYO/Panasonic, not only do they mfg several of their own design cells but they also mfg cells of other companies design and specifications. There's a pretty good chance these cells are mfg'd by SANYO for P&G (owners of duracell) but I'm confident they're not eneloops and I'm absolutely sure that at $10/4pk they're not eneloop XX's.

Go to a target (of w/e store around you carries both real Duraloops and the black top duracells and look at the packaging, everything about it is the same (other than the country of origin). From the "recharge 400 times" to the duracell part number (DX1500, AAA's are DX2400). The labeling is all the same, the one true way to tell is the white ring on the top, these Walmart ones have a black ring (the visual give away that they're NOT eneloops). If Walmart wanted to sell rebranded eneloops they are as big if not bigger of a company than P&G, they wouldnt be buyin a rebranded battery threw another company, they would buy them directly from SANYO/Panasonic and rebrand them themselves. Most likely the duracell cells they are using for these "Walmart" batteries are truely of duracell design (however they may still be mfg'd by SANYO and/or Panasonic).

Im not going to spend the $10 on a pack of them since I have plenty of eneloops and if/when I need more NiMH AA's I will buy more eneloops however if you want to send me one or two of yours I would be happy to run as many tests as you want on them and some real eneloops and/or real duraloops at the same time then report the results here, I'm sure the results of capacity and current draw tests would verify these are something else.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not true about DX1500. My Duraloops have the model number DX1500. But I also have some Duracell 2450s. And they have the number DC1500. Might these cells be something similar to the Japanese Duracell 2450s?

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
Not true about DX1500. My Duraloops have the model number DX1500. But I also have some Duracell 2450s. And they have the number DC1500. Might these cells be something similar to the Japanese Duracell 2450s?
Are your duracel 2450's LSD or non-LSD? Every different type of LSD (what they call "pre-charged") duracell AA size NiMH I've ever seen, regardless of capacity or source has said DX1500 (likewise every different LSD AAA duracell cell I've ever seen was DX2400). Also when and where did you get them? Maybe its an older PN?

I know for a fact that "DX1500/DX2400" is not an eneloop part number nor is it any sort of designation meaning those particular cells are rebranded eneloops, perhaps its a designation they give all their outsourced/rebranded cells where as DC1500 is their PN for cells they actually produce themselves? Its purely speculation here but it would make perfect sence if DX means outsourced where as DC means in-house production.

I'm sorry for making an incorrect statement that all their AA NiMH's have that one PN but I know to be absolutely true that DX1500 is the same part number for both white top rebranded Duraloops AND other black top duracells so like I said it is no indication of a "duraloop" nor is ANYTHING printed on the package, only the batteries themselves can be an indication of that.

edit: one time several months ago I purchased a 4 pack of the black top AA w/ charger (I've never seen white tops included with the charger) just to see how they performed, being dissatisfied with them I wrote P&G who almost immediately sent out two vouchers for me to get 2 4packs of the white top "Duraloops" as replacement, the PN on the black tops was also DX1500, in my initial email I asked P&G if they needed any numbers or anything off the batteries to which they replied the only info they needed was the color of the top (white or black). This leads me to believe that in this case these batteries the OP is talking about are no different from the other black tops (maybe different stated capacity but the same general cell). They didnt even want the batteries in question sent back.

Last edited:

youmansk

Newly Enlightened
The battery and the packaging say "Made in Japan". I have not bought a charger yet. Looking into a good one. Now sure which one. Anyway, If these are eneloop xx that are rebadged, they would be a really good deal. The strange thing is that they are mostly green with just a small black "duralock" band and then a copper top. They say on the package that charge last for 1 year.

If they are not Drualoops, can I at least assume that they are some sort of LSD cell? They do have the "Pre-charge" label on the battery its self. I got a MH-c9000 today. I can run some sort of test if it will help answer the question. I can include a picture if i can figure out how to post one on the forum.
Thanks

ALW248

Newly Enlightened
Those are normal self discharge AA cells.

Being pre-charged, and stay-charged, these should be LSD.

It seems that non-LSD are being replaced by LSD.

I am actually looking for non-LSD. But they are difficult to find now.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being pre-charged, and stay-charged, these should be LSD.

It seems that non-LSD are being replaced by LSD.

I am actually looking for non-LSD. But they are difficult to find now.

The only negative of LSD is lowered capacity. If you can get all the capacity of non-LSD in a LSD battery, there's no need to go non-LSD. Also, it appears that lots of batteries sold today which are not labelled as LSD actually do considerably better than non-LSD batteries of yesteryear when it comes to holding a charge.

youmansk

Newly Enlightened
I put my first set of these batteries on the "refresh and analyze" setting. The result seems pretty good. All of them were rated at around 2400mAh. These may turn out to be good batteries. I have looked at Target, CVS, Sam's, etc and cannot find them anywhere but at Walmart.

youmansk

Newly Enlightened
Duracell "Made in Japan" Ni-MH DX1500 are not really so new...:rolleyes: :

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...op-Duraloop-help&p=3218902&view=1#post3218902

__philippe

ya.. I know. wanted to find out if they could be duraloops XX...They have similar power as Eneloop XX.... They have similar recharge times also. The packaging says 400x recharges. I seem to recall reading that the higher capacity eneloop xx had a fewer recharge numbers also, something like 500x. Most rechargeables say that can recharge 1000x but higher capacity ones seem to have a lower number of charges available. i know all this is all theory, but.. I just thought maybe Duracell was now rebadgeing Eneloop xx.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a look at these today at Walmart. It looks like they changed the shrink wrap on the batteries and now call them 'Ion Core'. The vents on the positive terminals are also much bigger than those on the 2450s. And the top is now black instead of green (like the 2450s). So they appear to be a different battery altogether. They say it lasts five years. But that appears to be a claim about the actual life of the battery itself rather than a claim that it holds such and such percent of a full charge for five years. So it looks like this battery may not be LSD. On the other hand, this battery might be a good choice if you are looking for something with greater capacity than your typical Eneloop/Duraloop, and don't really care whether it is LSD.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I take that back. These 'Ion Core' batteries ARE LSD. I got a four pack of them today to try out. And although it doesn't say 'Staycharged' anywhere on the pack, it DOES say that they hold a charge for up to one year in storage. The fact that they appear to be a Sanyo LSD battery with 2400mAH certainly makes me wonder whether they are Eneloop XX's. But if they are, $10.97 for four is DEFINITELY a bargain.

RCM

Enlightened
I actually saw these for the first time today...was in a rush, saw them at publix, but they may be rayovac cells! When I am back there again, I will look at the country of origin...the negative post looked rayovac though...I could be wrong. May pick up a pack to mess with..but do I really need MORE batteries?! :D

Last edited:

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
This would be a good pack of batteries to use a Duracell coupon on when you get one, but like the others here I would buy some but I definitely don't need more batteries at this point.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am 100% sure that these ARE NOT eneloop XX's. First reason being even the newest packages of Duraloops are only 3rd gen eneloops (so they're [sanyo/panasonic] obviously not selling off the newest/best eneloops to be rebranded. They want their own name on the best/newest ones. And two the XX's are higher priced than regular eneloops, again there is no way they're letting another company they sell to rebrand their batteries and then undercut them. Even if I knew nothing about the batteries that's common sence business 101.

On the other hand, the Eneloop XX is not exactly a new battery (it's been around for a while). And, at least from the sound of things around here, it's not exactly a huge seller. Part of this is no doubt the result of the fact that they are generally available only by mail order (at least in many places). I'm sure Sanyo/Panasonic would like to sell LOTS more of them than they are. And they're not going to do this by selling only by mail order or in a few exclusive places. They may not get top dollar selling them at Wally World. But they will DEFINITELY sell, which is something they really don't appear to be doing at the time. At the end of the day, they'll make more money selling them by the truckload at a big box store than by trying to sell a few here and there on Amazon (where customers are further put off by the additional cost of shipping and the wait time to get the ).

Here's another way to look at it. If ordinary 2000mAH Eneloops weren't rebadged as Duraloops, I'm sure the sales on Eneloops in the US would be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH lower.

Last edited:

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
That is true, I bet if eneloops were branded as Sanyo batteries and not Duracell in the USA I bet they would not sell, as people here only seem to buy energizer and Duracell and occasionally some ray o vac.