Cerakote Application & Removal Method - ADDED PROGRESS SHOTS

D2000

Enlightened
Hi all.

To those who have their Mac's cerakoted (and to Mac as well), do you know which method is used to apply the cerakote, or if it's actually genuine cerakote? From what I'm reading ALL over the internet and in many other forums, oven-baked cerakote is practically resistant to any damage or removal techniques short of bead blasting it. I am thinking this may be just the air-dry method, which is apparently much weaker.

I'm only asking because my Tri had a flawless black cerakote finish when it arrived, but is now so scratched up I wouldn't be surprised if it was just paint. All it does is hang on my keys, and that should not be enough to make even the smallest scratch if it's oven baked.

Anyone have any info on this or similar experiences?

Before
photo%203.JPG

After
Photo%2024-07-2013%202%2006%2011%20pm%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited:

D2000

Enlightened
Re: Cerakote Application Method?

Haha I agree - I told you i'd put her to good use Ben :thumbsup:.
But literally all it's done is sit on my keys and get used intermittently. Never been dropped or anything. Just wondering what kind of applications were involved before i strip it all down to the bare aluminium.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haha I agree - I told you i'd put her to good use Ben :thumbsup:.
But literally all it's done is sit on my keys and get used intermittently. Never been dropped or anything. Just wondering what kind of applications were involved before i strip it all down to the bare aluminium.

Hope you get some answers. You surely sound like you are enjoying yourself.... good on you mate.

R850R

Newly Enlightened

In all honesty, I've never been really impressed with Cerakote. It is definitely more chip resistant than Duracoat, but it will still flake, chip and peel. I personally think longevity has more to do with prep work rather than bake on vs air or room temp curing. If the base metal has trapped oil, then the coating will not adhere.

DLC and PVD is much better because it actually bonds to the base metal, but it's not cheap.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Cerakote Application Method?

It's prep, but not the way you might expect. Cerakote is remarkable - on steel. On a soft metal, the foundation for the paint moves and the hard paint can't keep up. The only reliable way to use cerakote with an aluminum flashlight is to apply anodize, blast the anodize and apply the paint. This gives a base closer to steel, providing closer to normal to wear. But for a new part, this is also much more work and expense than applying paint directly to bare aluminum.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guru. It appears to me from what you have explained, the Cerakote is not suitable for bare aluminum without a base coat. Isn't this information known to those that do the cerakoting? If yes, why would they still do it knowing that it will flake off easily.

D2000

Enlightened

Wonderful answers everyone! Thank you so much for the detail explanation Guru - I figured that would be the case and the aluminium was just too soft a base.
Time to strip this baby down and expose her natural finish.
Ben possibly anyone who provides cerakoting services would know, but omits this information from customers, as the expenses would be too much if they wanted to do it properly. Either that or they don't know because all the items they coat end up being shelf queens :p

DLC or PVD? What's that R850R?

R850R

Newly Enlightened

DLC or Diamond Like Carbon (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon) and PVD, physical vapor deposition (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_vapor_deposition).

Used in cutlery and watches. I'm not sure if they can be done to Al, but steel and Ti benefit from it. I know that surefire and some firearm mfgs have used cerakote in the past, but like guru stated, they were anodized prior. Some firearm suppressors will vaporize the cerakote due to high heat signature. I think surefire also had an issue with heat on their bezels.

Here is one of my DLC knives in flat dark earth...very wear resistant. It's a Les George VECP.

20130714_165314_zpsa3c53e8b.jpg

Personally, I think your light looks good...honest character. If you decide to remove the cerakote, are you going to use a chem stripper or bead blast? Al can be beautiful with a high polish, but requires lots of maintenance to prevent it from dulling or scratching. My Al oil slick mule has lost most of it's oil slick lol.

Looking forward to the Cu from Ben ;)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

I have found that virtually all coatings scratch or chip, eventually, often looking worse than (uncoated and scratched) bare metal :eek:

That said, I have been impressed by some of the specialized ( & expensive ! ) titanium coatings ... such as TiN, TiCN, AlTiN, and especially DLC.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have found that virtually all coatings scratch or chip, eventually, often looking worse than (uncoated and scratched) bare metal :eek:

That said, I have been impressed by some of the specialized ( & expensive ! ) titanium coatings ... such as TiN, TiCN, AlTiN, and especially DLC.

Is this due to the hard titanium as a base?

primeform

Newly Enlightened

I have my 870 shotgun coated in Nickle Boron and my Glock done in DLC. My AR upper had to be done in a special cerekote because the aluminum is too soft for those coatings. They are very hard but VERY thin and bond to the metal. When the aluminum dents it breaks the NiB-x and DLC. Just strip that ugly crap off your beautiful light and let it breath! This is the exact reason I hate knives with black coated blades as well.

CMAG

Enlightened

primeform; Just strip that ugly crap off your beautiful light and let it breath! This is the exact reason I hate knives with black coated blades as well.[/QUOTE said:
+1, I EDC a bare Aluminum Mac tri. She ain't shiny but she shines

D2000

Enlightened

Personally, I think your light looks good...honest character. If you decide to remove the cerakote, are you going to use a chem stripper or bead blast? Al can be beautiful with a high polish, but requires lots of maintenance to prevent it from dulling or scratching. My Al oil slick mule has lost most of it's oil slick lol.

Looking forward to the Cu from Ben ;)

I was liking it too - but the character is changing so quickly almost every day it looks more scratched..
I think I will attempt a chemical strip, but just in case no one here has stripped cerakote of Aluminium, it's actually really REALLY soft. Some sections came off with just my fingernail (once a small portion of Al was exposed..) Considering this, I think beadblasting would be overkill for this job.

initially I will polish her to a shine, but I don't mind the worn in Aluminium look so perhaps a mild brushing with a green sponge or iron wool every now and then to keep it uniform.

EDIT: also thanks everyone for their helpful input. Great little informative thread with little digression. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

primeform

Newly Enlightened

Sweet d2000, let us see some pics when you have her spruced up.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's prep, but not the way you might expect. Cerakote is remarkable - on steel. On a soft metal, the foundation for the paint moves and the hard paint can't keep up. The only reliable way to use cerakote with an aluminum flashlight is to apply anodize, blast the anodize and apply the paint. This gives a base closer to steel, providing closer to normal to wear. But for a new part, this is also much more work and expense than applying paint directly to bare aluminum.

Thanks for the description - I just bought a special edition Elzetta "flat dark earth" cerakoted light. They did state that it was hard anodized and then cerakoted, which seemed kind of counter-intuitive. Now I know they were doing it right! Once I get another Elzetta (probably within a few months) I'm going to try and torture this one to death. We'll see then just how tough the extra coating really is...

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the description - I just bought a special edition Elzetta "flat dark earth" cerakoted light. They did state that it was hard anodized and then cerakoted, which seemed kind of counter-intuitive. Now I know they were doing it right! Once I get another Elzetta (probably within a few months) I'm going to try and torture this one to death. We'll see then just how tough the extra coating really is...
If you check eBay, I see some other camo type colors too.

D2000

Enlightened

Sweet d2000, let us see some pics when you have her spruced up.
Will do buddy - should get onto it tomorrow as I've just had my wisdom teeth pulled. Should have done it when I was younger..apparently 21 is a bit too old :duh2: It took the guy over 2 hours just to rip out the top.

-Dave