Question about installing keyring on Quark

Etsu

Enlightened
Hi all, I have a dumb question.

I've just received a new 4sevens Quark QP2A-X light, and I'm wondering about how others attach the lanyard.

It comes with a small keychain ring, which I installed through one of the pinholes and larger slots in the tailcap like this:

un0f.jpg

This seems to be the only way to install it while allowing the flashlight to still tail-stand. However, it seems the way it sticks into the rubber tailswitch boot, that it could cause damage to the boot or clicky switch, especially if dropped on it. (It can easily press against the rubber boot.)

Did I attach it right? Anyone use the lanyard on a Quark, while still being able to tail-stand?

Thanks.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe there's a true way to install a keyring on a Quark and it still tailstand. What I might suggest is using the lanyard 'claw' clip and perhaps clip it through those two holes in the cap I guess, or clip the lanyard onto that keyring and you may still be able to get it to tailstand since the lanyard will be slightly to the side thanks to the way you installed the ring

traditionally, however, I'm assuming most people install their keyring in just one of the holes on their tailcaps for Quarks, but I do like your way!

Etsu

Enlightened
Just an update. I emailed 4sevens to ask them, and they said it was the correct position. They e-mailed back within minutes! That's fast customer support.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the split ring doesn't have much movement or play. I would add a swivel to the split ring so the light can rotate freely. Sampo ball bearing swivels are the best and you should be able to find them online or in fishing tackle stores anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

Etsu

Enlightened
Yes, the ring is fairly stiff because of the way it sticks out the side, but it's not too bad because the lanyard itself allows for some rotation.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the lanyard rotates, it is twisting. The swivel will allow the light to rotate without twisting the lanyard and keep everything neat. Just a suggestion...

ToddC

Newly Enlightened
I had the ring installed like you do but didn't like it so I removed and put a $1 lanyard directly on and it can still tail stand

IMG_0666.JPG

Etsu

Enlightened
I had the ring installed like you do but didn't like it so I removed and put a $1 lanyard directly on and it can still tail stand

Isn't it tippy with the cord wrapped around the end like that?

ToddC

Newly Enlightened
Isn't it tippy with the cord wrapped around the end like that?

It's pretty thin and hasn't caused me any problems. It's very easy to remove and install as well if desired, no tools or strong finger nails required :)

Etsu

Enlightened
Maybe that's a better solution, then. Thanks. I do like the lanyard that came with the Quark, though.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I would add a swivel to the split ring so the light can rotate freely. Sampo ball bearing swivels are the best and you should be able to find them online or in fishing tackle stores anywhere in the world.

What size would you recommend? Is size No. 1 large/strong enough?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's pretty thin and hasn't caused me any problems. It's very easy to remove and install as well if desired, no tools or strong finger nails required :)

You can also wrap the lanyard around the 'long way' between the oval-shaped slots and the circular hole, right?

Etsu

Enlightened
You can also wrap the lanyard around the 'long way' between the oval-shaped slots and the circular hole, right?

Yes, that would be a good solution. The circular hole is small, though, so you'd have to use a pretty thin lanyard cord.

Etsu

Enlightened
Lack of swiveling doesn't bother me. There's plenty of free twist in a lanyard cord already. My concerns are
(1) I can tail-stand the light,
(2) it doesn't interfere with the tail switch, and
(3) it's strong enough.

4sevens already emailed me back and said that (2) shouldn't be a concern with my placement of the ring, but I'm not 100% convinced since the the ring can push into the switch button. Maybe it can't reach in far enough to do any damage, but it's hard to know how big the switch is underneath the rubber boot.

As for (3), yes a thin lanyard is strong enough to hold a small flashlight, but I'm more concerned about it catching on a branch or something while I'm hiking, and breaking from the hard yank that results. But perhaps a thin lanyard is still strong enough for that, and it would completely solve (1) and (2).

Etsu

Enlightened
I like it a lot. It's early too give it an honest review, but it seems well designed and constructed.

I'm glad I got the pro version, and not tactical. The interface with the pro version works well for me, and I have access to all the modes if I want them. At first I didn't think I'd use moonlight much (my eyes aren't that great in the dark), but it turns out it's just the right amount of light if I get up in the middle of the night and need to see enough to walk around.

I think I'd prefer just having 4 brightness levels instead of 5. Keep moonlight and turbo of course, but take the 3 middle levels and just make 2. Right now, it's 0.3 lm, 2.7 lm, 24 lm, 115lm, and 280 lm. (Actually, 20% greater than those levels, due to the generation 2 of the XM-L.) Instead, I'd rather have something like 0.3 lm, 10 lm, 60 lm, and 280 lm. The current low and medium levels are a little dim for me (probably fine for most people).

Before I ordered it, I was a little concerned about going with a cool white LED (4sevens doesn't appear to offer it in neutral or warm). However, while it's definitely a cool white color, it's not overly cool. Actually, it's one of the more neutral colors of all the LED lights I own. There's a noticeable blue tint in the spill part of the light, but the spot seems tint-free. The lights I have based on the older XR-E LED (I think), are more blue than the Quark with its XM-L2.

Only criticisms I have are the way the lanyard ring fits on the tail (though it seems to work, I don't really like it that way). And, there is a pre-flash when turning it on in moonlight mode. It's quick, and not bothersome, but it's very noticable.

It does suck up the batteries on turbo, but that's expected. I get 3.5 hours of run time on "high" with a set of Eneloops, before it starts to dim, which is pretty good. I expect medium would give at least 24 hours, which is probably the level I'd use most for outside walks.