Zebralight Color Preference?

• Light green

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Dark green

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters

markr6

Flashaholic
In the SC52/w thread, I posted this photo of two SC52w's that I have.

I really like the non-traditional dark green color of the light on the right. The "usual" green on the left is what most Zebralights look like. What's your preference? (I know some probably want black, blue, purple, whatever...but let's try and keep this on track with the 2 options here)

SC52w_anodize.jpg

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
My oldest ZL (an H51) is much darker than subsequent lights I've received from them and I prefer it. If the new SC52w is darker, that's just another reason for me to order one :)

Swede74

Enlightened
I prefer the darker colour, but I have never seen a Zebralight that looked green to me - I would describe them as steel gray. I have the SC51, SC600, H502, which all look very much like the lighter one in markr6's pic, and the SC52 which is a bit darker. I got lucky the last time :)

It's really hard to take a photo that shows the colour accurately, at least with a cheap mobile phone camera. These two are of the same light!

g7qw.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
These two are of the same light!

g7qw.jpg

No way!! I agree it can be hard to capture on camera. Also another reason why you cannot necessarily take someone word (or photo) regarding beamshot tints.

I can't get over how much I like the darker color! Too bad my darker SC52w is the one with the "bad" tint :(

holylight

Enlightened
I love both. But if to choose I go for the darker ones. I love the feel of sc52 in the hand. Is incredible feeling. Maybe is small.

markr6

Flashaholic
As mentioned in another thread, my darker SC52w was stolen last night out of my Jeep :( Oh well, now I can stop complaining about the green tint, right?

And shame on me for not locking my doors; I had a false sense of security having it in the driveway and outdoor house lights on. Never had a problem for years...lesson learned.

Swede74

Enlightened
As mentioned in another thread, my darker SC52w was stolen last night out of my Jeep :(

I'm sorry to hear your light was stolen. I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way - I'm not suggesting I wish the culprits get the most out of their ill-gotten gain - but on some level it must be vexing to know that they probably think they stole a 10-15 dollar light that they will never learn how to operate properly. If you had a 14500 installed they might even think the light will become useless once the battery has run down. :shakehead:

I know it is unlikely, but I hope you get it back.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm sorry to hear your light was stolen. I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way - I'm not suggesting I wish the culprits get the most out of their ill-gotten gain - but on some level it must be vexing to know that they probably think they stole a 10-15 dollar light that they will never learn how to operate properly. If you had a 14500 installed they might even think the light will become useless once the battery has run down. :shakehead:

I know it is unlikely, but I hope you get it back.

LOL yeah, you can pretty much bet they will only be running that on high (one click). They may "accidentally" get it into medium by clicking twice quickly, intending it to go on then off. But programming the sub modes...forget it! I bet they went to zebralight.com to check it out though.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really hard to take a photo that shows the colour accurately, at least with a cheap mobile phone camera. These two are of the same light!

g7qw.jpg

To further illuminate your point, watch this video. I post a link to it every chance I get - every person in the world should watch it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/beau_lotto_optical_illusions_show_how_we_see.html

With that in mind, if you simply took your photos against a white background, it would help a lot - we don't see color in absolute terms, but in relation to the environment. At least with a white background, we have some frame of reference. Obviously the light conditions will still affect the photo (cool white v. neutral v. (typically) warm household lighting.) But at least you will be limiting the damage, so to speak.

Jakpro

Newly Enlightened
I just received a new SC52 today and I really don't care for the new anodizing. I prefer the old finish. I don't think that this new finish is going to hold up nearly as well.

The cap has a spot that they either screwed up or has been scratched. I am wondering if this is even anodized. It seems to be paint because it is flaking off showing bare metal underneath. The light seems to have a different finish than the cap.

rickyro

Enlightened
Of my four Zebralight (SC600 MKII L2, SC52w L2, H52w L2, H502w L2), only SC600 anodize looks a little (very a little) greenish to me. All others look grey to me (a little darker with that one, a little lighter with another one)

dansranch

Newly Enlightened
In the SC52/w thread, I posted this photo of two SC52w's that I have.

I really like the non-traditional dark green.. (bla bla... bla... ) ...but let's try and keep this on track with the 2 options here)

Keep it on track? Only two options? That's all I get to choose from???

.. I am about to send out my SC600 to a shop in the LA area that does Mil Spec Aerospace custom metal finishing. First I am going to have them micro-polish, then plate with a hard teflon black matte finish. Anodizing is just one of hundreds of metal coating techniques, and I am surprised that so many are "stuck" on it. Two choices? There are hundreds...

EsthetiX

Enlightened
There are actually 3 colors (that I have)... The latest sc600 batches are dark gunmetal grey. Which I really like a lot. The truth is the color just depends on wherever they happen to source the aluminum. I don't think the color changes were deliberate or intentional on zebralights behalf

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know which option to choose on the poll. None of my Zebralights are really green. I have three H50s and a H51fw that are more of a bronze color, and a SC52w L2 that I would call a dark "graphite" color. Neither is really darker than the other.

I suppose what I'm calling bronze is what the OP is referring to as "green". I like both colors, but slightly prefer the older bronze.

20140513_111230.jpg

EDIT: after looking at the OP again, I voted "Darker green" because I tend to like darker natural HA than lighter. Natural HA often has a slight greenish hue, but I still consider the more gray than green.

Last edited:

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
I tend to prefer light green (especially SC80, the on in the middle), but I DO love all my Zebras :D

170624zebrafamily.jpg

TweakMDS

Enlightened
20140513_111230.jpg

EDIT: after looking at the OP again, I voted "Darker green" because I tend to like darker natural HA than lighter. Natural HA often has a slight greenish hue, but I still consider the more gray than green.

I voted light green, because I've always liked them like that. My current SC52 is quite light, but your dark grey looks really good, maybe it's the background or the light next to it.