Refrigerated Batteries?

2watt

Newly Enlightened
Some one told me that they keep their batteries in the frig. to keep them "fresh". I've never done this. Is it a good idea? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
yup, the same for cigarettes as well. I don't if it "really" does keep batteries fresh but even my Mom does it.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's much more effective for old 35mm film, but probably still worth doing for batteries, esp non-lithium. Usually, there would be small difference of about 10-15% of total capacity after a few years.

http://www.greenbatteries.com/documents/battery_myths.htm has some more info (below), stating that if you are in a hot climate it definitely is worth it.

Alkaline batteries stored at "room temperature" self discharge at a rate of less than two percent per year. So normally refrigerating or freezing them will only help maintain their charge by a tiny amount. Hardly worth the effort of chilling them. However, if alkaline batteries are stored at higher temperatures they will start to lose capacity much quicker. At 85 degrees F they only lose about 5% per year, but at 100 degrees they lose 25% per year. So if you live in a very hot climate or are storing your batteries in a very hot location, it may be worthwhile for you to store your alkaline batteries in a refrigerator instead.

NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than alkaline batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F) NiMH and NiCD batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY. Storing them at lower temperatures will slow their self discharge rate dramatically. NiMH batteries stored at freezing will retain over 90% of their charge for full month. So it might make sense to store them in a freezer. If you do, it's best to bring them back to room temperature before using them. Even if you don't freeze your NiMH batteries after charging them, you should store them in a cool place to minimize their self discharge.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Beware of condensation on the batteries if you store them in a fridge that you open several times a day. The stray currents in the moist could contribute to the discharge.

Jan

batterystation

Enlightened
You can also use them as icecubes until you are ready to put them in your flashlight. (KIDDING!) Refridgeration does slow the chemical process in the alkalines as stated above. I keep alkalines here stored in the basement.

Peter_Lowrie

Newly Enlightened
Watch out you don't get in trouble with Mom for puting batteries in the fridge. She might growl.

Peter Lowrie