Reparing a "La Crosse BC-700"

andrixnet

Newly Enlightened
I have a BC-700 which has suffered a severe shock when my brother accidentally connected it to another power supply with identical connector (for another charger), which was rated 12V instead of the 3V used by the BC-700.

Of course, it is now quite dead. However I am looking to revive it. If I am lucky, only some of the input path suffered catastrophic failure and I may have a chance.

PCB is marked G216D1V09.

I have looked at the PCB and identified 2 SMD components on the input path, beyond which there is no sign of input voltage.
A 3 pin component marked H2A and a 5 pin component marked L21R.
So far I haven't been able to identify these components, but without much luck.

Has anyone been able to repair one after a similar failure?

bl3it

Newly Enlightened
I have a BC-700 which has suffered a severe shock when my brother accidentally connected it to another power supply with identical connector (for another charger), which was rated 12V instead of the 3V used by the BC-700.

Of course, it is now quite dead. However I am looking to revive it. If I am lucky, only some of the input path suffered catastrophic failure and I may have a chance.

PCB is marked G216D1V09.

I have looked at the PCB and identified 2 SMD components on the input path, beyond which there is no sign of input voltage.

I did the same thing on a pcb marked ending V06. Only one component blew, the one next to the power connector which i cannot identify, perhaps someone else knows what it is so i can replace it? ?

Regards

stonek

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have the same problem (12V instead od 3V). Did you manage to fix it?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happened to me a year or so back as well. Accepted the loss and bought a new one. Even if you fix one seemingly bad component you'll never know for sure what other damage you did upstream.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happened to me a year or so back as well. Accepted the loss and bought a new one. Even if you fix one seemingly bad component you'll never know for sure what other damage you did upstream.

Funny, but I did the same thing one night, but with my Maha C9000, when I grabbed the 14.4v WW for my Rayovac IC3 15 min. charger. It worked fine on discharge, but when I started to 'charge,' it would reboot itself. Since it was fairly new, I thought it was defective.

Once I realized that I had the wrong PSU, I got out some yellow model paint and painted the proper names on each wall wart and 12v car adapters.

The C9000 has been working fine for 4+ years, so I didn't kill it.

Chris

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
My BC-900 clone is blue and gray (techno line ic8800) and the charger is blue and gray, all my other psu are black so it`s a lot harder for me to make that mistake.

John.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I frequently promise myself that I'll immediately label the power brick every time I open a new product. I've been making this promise for ages now, and I hope I eventually keep it. (And I'm trying to standardize on USB-powered devices, but that's not always easy either).

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just keep all of mine connected and place them in a larger storage bin. This way I don't mix them up.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just keep all of mine connected and place them in a larger storage bin. This way I don't mix them up.

Trust me. I was doing the same thing. It happened when I was cleaning my desk and re-doing the wiring. I didn't realize that two of the wall-warts had the same plug. I think I plugged in either a 9v or a 12v adapter. All I know is it went on, off, and that was that.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

PCB is marked G216D1V09.

The L21R is a 21 ohm resistor and the H2A is a transistor I think NPN but not sure, however it is possible that the "A" could be a "4" and the "L" could be a "1" check closely to make sure as I have made that mistake before. If you can, try and test the resistor and see if you get a measurement it is possible if it is not fried that it is ok, I'm guessing the transistor got toasted though.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

mariusz002

Newly Enlightened
The entry is not serious.
During charging, the battery has overheated. Thermal protection did not work. The hot battery melted the bc-900 charger housing. Is it possible to buy a small housing for this device. in a la croose company or in another. For aesthetic reasons. I did not notice any damage on the PCB G216D1V09 board