Noob question - lightweight, pocket/keychain knife under $25

DPRoberts

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for something very small (an ounce or so), very pocketable, very cheap (under $25), to supplement the even smaller & cheaper knife on my multitool. Basically, just to have with me for hiking or camping. Anything heavier than an ounce or two & I probably wouldn't bother taking it, & would just stick to my multitool.

I wasn't even planning on getting a knife, and was just going to stick to a multitool. Then I saw the Gerber Bear Grylls Compact Scout knife, which weighs about an ounce (27g), has a half serrated blade (which would be a nice feature, but seems uncommon at this price point), and can be easily obtained for $8 or so.

Obviously, I know nothing about knives. Can I do better than the little BG Gerber?
Other alternatives I've found so far:
Gerber Mini Paraframe, 40g, also $10.
Ka-Bar Mini Dozier, 23g, $20
Kershaw D.W.O., $15
Spyderco Grasshopper, 39g, $14

If I start carrying one of these around & actually use it, I'll probably upgrade to something larger and better, but I thought I would start with something cheap and small for now and see how it goes. If anyone has any better suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Last edited:

Freaker

Newly Enlightened
Negative on the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper is a slip joint knife (no lock) with soft steel and a very fine tip. Not really good for camping. The Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 ($20) has the strongest lock among knives in that category, and either blade style will have a much stronger tip. It is a much better choice for a knife of that size.

If edge retention is a factor, the Spyderco Ladybug has VG-10 steel. It is $30, but worth considering if you need steel that will hold an edge longer than the other key chain sized knives.

The Ladybug and Micro Recon 1 are both tiny knives. For something the size of a regular pocket knife that is still very thin and light, the Kershaw Chill for $20 is a good choice.

These don't fit your criteria of being small and light, but the Ontario Rat-1 is arguably the best valued folder in the $25 range. You mentioned only folders, but for a camping knife in your price range I feel obligated to mention the Morakniv "Craftline Q" and "Companion." Nine and fifteen dollars respectively.

Last edited:

jph0200

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for SC laybug. I have the h1 serrated version.

In spite of its size, it cuts like a demon