HDS Systems        
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313435363738394041
Results 1,201 to 1,224 of 1224

Thread: Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

Default Re: Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodLust View Post
    Also a triple neutral XPG Convoy S2+ that's been modified for long runtimes and not too much draw also to limit the heat.
    Ooo, modified how?

In power-out/emergency situations I think runtime is so much more important than high lumens, but I seem to hear so much less about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grijon View Post
    In power-out/emergency situations I think runtime is so much more important than high lumens, but I seem to hear so much less about it.
    In a power outage there is no artificial light anywhere so your eyes would be adapted to lower light levels already, thus requiring lower lumens to meet lighting needs. I too feel lower lumens and longer run times are the most important factors. You can read and do almost anything with 30L or less. Most of the time I do things with 20L down to 0.05 lumens, anything from reading a book to playing a board game...none requiring more than 30L.
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+HighCRI modded Mini-Mag2AAA
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

Default Re: Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

I'm kind of late to this thread but I'll give my .02.

I love flashlights just like everyone else on here and I use them when the power goes out. But mainly just to hook-up my Honda EU2000i generator (my headlamp is my go to in this situation). Then all the lights come on in and outside the house (actually this does just about everything in my house except 220V items which I shut-off at the breaker box prior to hooking-up the generator so no air, water, clothes dryer, etc...). I have converted all lights inside and out to LED's. And this generator is an inverter type so we can use computers and TV as well as charge batteries that may need it.

I have a six gallon aux tank for extended runs. Sometimes I grab this generator instead of a drop-cord. Had it with me today as I was told there would be a power outage at a customer and this is great for safety lighting.
    Malkoff Wildcat in V4 (replaced under warranty with a HD XM-L) and V5 & HD Super (all using MD4 body), MD2 M61NL, MDC TurnKey HA XP-L 16650, MDC 1CR123, Veleno Designs Quantum D2 and Prometheus Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    In a power outage there is no artificial light anywhere so your eyes would be adapted to lower light levels already, thus requiring lower lumens to meet lighting needs. I too feel lower lumens and longer run times are the most important factors. You can read and do almost anything with 30L or less. Most of the time I do things with 20L down to 0.05 lumens, anything from reading a book to playing a board game...none requiring more than 30L.
    +1 on this.... in 2007 we had a huge ice storm I was without power for 4.5 days and back then I had feew luxeon based LED lights. The main light I used was an Energizer double brite CCFL/LED and the CCFL was propped up and I played cards on a coffee table. I used a 3x5mm LED 3AAA headlamp a lot of the time to navigate.
    Today if I had a power outage I could light every room of the house for a week at light levels as good as the flourescent light that I had to change batteries every 5 hours.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Default Re: Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

Power got knocked out by another storm the other day. Was out from 2:30pm until after midnight. Obviously not long enough for a serious test, but enough time.to play around. My findings...headlamp most useful indoors. Also 15 to 30 lumens, more than adequate for everything I needed.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Grijon View Post
    Ooo, modified how?

1 of the local modders where I'm from limited the current.
    More practical for me as it will be more of a task and navigation light where flood and high CRI is much better suited.
    Mostly for home/urban use so I just need a few hundred lumens max. Saves batteries and doesn't heat up as much so it sustains the output constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by dmattaponi View Post
    Power got knocked out by another storm the other day. Was out from 2:30pm until after midnight. Obviously not long enough for a serious test, but enough time.to play around. My findings...headlamp most useful indoors. Also 15 to 30 lumens, more than adequate for everything I needed.
    In an outage you need the following:
    1) A headlamp of 15+ lumens with a low mode of 5-30 lumens for runtime and to not totally destroy your night vision
    2) A throwing flashlight of 80-300 lumens (or more) for checking out your "area" so you can see down the block or look around at power lines/poles.
    3) A decent 30-150 lumen lantern to light up your "meeting" area (or several of them perhaps)
    4) A few ~1-~10 lumen area lights just to light up things enough to get around like to the bathroom and hallways so those who don't like to carry headlights and flashlights can operate without them.
    5) A few cheap throwaway LED lights good enough for 4+ hours of 10-30 lumens that you can give away or forget about when away from home that you can also throw junk heavy duty or alkalines in and not worry about leakage.
    6) A small pocket LED light so if you have a battery go out or malfunctioning light you still have light.

I think the uber 500+ lumen lights in an outage end up being "idled" on low modes instead of run normally as you just don't need a lot of light in an outage if you aren't working on something. With recharging technology and vehicle batteries a trip to local stores for alkaline "refills" is unneeded. The last big outage I had 10 years ago I had about a dozen AA alkalines in stock and never used even one of them instead I had a dozen energizer 2300 nimh AAs and a rayovac 1 hour charger with a car adapter cord that I recharged about 32 batteries with (about 2 sets of 4 per day). I recharged the battery in my truck when I was out running down ice and food and visiting people that had power never needing to just run the engine in the driveway.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic

I'd want a sustained 300 lumens though. This would more likely come from a light with a 700 or 1000+ lumen high or turbo.
    Rather than have a 300+ high or turbo which will either step down or have heat issues.

I'd want a sustained 300 lumens though. This would more likely come from a light with a 700 or 1000+ lumen high or turbo.
    I'm curious as to what you would be doing to need that many lumens in a power outage.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I'm curious as to what you would be doing to need that many lumens in a power outage.
    Not really for me but for family. If I was alone, I could do with little light comfortably.
    A good ceiling bounced neutral 300 lumen (maybe even 200+) I find that it gives a decent semblance of normalcy.
    Tasks done will be kids activities (drawing, reading, playing), feeding, diaper changes (very important), etc.

We've done a lot with much less but it was usually a chore. I'm just trying to make them comfortable.
    It's 1 less thing to worry about since the most annoying thing we have to deal with is the heat and humidity since we live in a tropical country. I have them stay in 1 place with rechargeable fans. It's bad enough to contend with the heat so having a good area light lessens the stress on them..and that is what my preps are for - to lessen stress in situations.
    This will be a bedside light as well since my emergency and bugout gear is packed and streamlined.
    I have the Energizer Light Fusion 2-in-1 flashlight/lamp currently on my bedside and it's ok for most tasks. I just want 1 a bit stronger and neutral. The Energizer will then be the backup.

Storms can take out power for a number of days. My longest is 10days or I think 2 weeks. The storm had 150mph wind gusts and took out a lot of power lines. Most recent was a 5hr power outage.

Not really for me but for family. If I was alone, I could do with little light comfortably.
    A good ceiling bounced neutral 300 lumen (maybe even 200+) I find that it gives a decent semblance of normalcy.
    Tasks done will be kids activities (drawing, reading, playing), feeding, diaper changes (very important), etc.

We've done a lot with much less but it was usually a chore. I'm just trying to make them comfortable.
    It's 1 less thing to worry about since the most annoying thing we have to deal with is the heat and humidity since we live in a tropical country. I have them stay in 1 place with rechargeable fans. It's bad enough to contend with the heat so having a good area light lessens the stress on them..and that is what my preps are for - to lessen stress in situations.
    This will be a bedside light as well since my emergency and bugout gear is packed and streamlined.
    I have the Energizer Light Fusion 2-in-1 flashlight/lamp currently on my bedside and it's ok for most tasks. I just want 1 a bit stronger and neutral. The Energizer will then be the backup.

Storms can take out power for a number of days. My longest is 10days or I think 2 weeks. The storm had 150mph wind gusts and took out a lot of power lines. Most recent was a 5hr power outage.
    I would recommend something that has a decent diffuser that you can hang near the ceiling with less lumens vs a ceiling bounce 300 lumen light myself... perhaps 2-3 150-200 lumen output lanterns. I've tinkered with USB power banks and USB LED lighting and using USB cords and adapters you can literally wire up lighting to suit yourself.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I would recommend something that has a decent diffuser that you can hang near the ceiling with less lumens vs a ceiling bounce 300 lumen light myself... perhaps 2-3 150-200 lumen output lanterns. I've tinkered with USB power banks and USB LED lighting and using USB cords and adapters you can literally wire up lighting to suit yourself.
    That's one of my options. Possibly some Fenix CL20's
    When I set up our new bedframe, I'll see what are the other possible options.
    The bedframe has long steel posts so magnetic base lights and lanterns would be another option.
    I'll see after I set it up.

When I find myself in need of portable lighting over several days, I always bring both a second flashlight and spare batteries.
    Unless I know for sure there is electricity, a (working) generator or reliable solar-power where I'm going, I'm bringing all I will need myself.

Considering I already got multiple battery backup solutions installed at home (in an area where we get a blackout 3-5 times a year - mostly whenever scheduled maintenance is occuring), when it comes to portable lights, I got it like this:

-Bathrooms: Compact, easy to use, double-AA Fenix E21's hanging from small wallmounts. ~150 Lm.
    Found myself required to have something there, because going on the potty downstairs (small room; no windows), relaxing with a Donald Duck pocket, and then having the lights go out was not the most entertaining of experiences.

-Livingrooms/general areas: 3x 3-D cell Maglite whatever. No idea about its output, and frankly I dont care to know. Its single-output mode is giving out light everytime I give it a testrun, in case the automatic, roof-mounted battery-driven light decide it doesn't want to work.
    The Maglites are only there to provide mobility in terms of where the light is needed.

-Workareas: 2x Octa-AA Fenix TK45's placed within easy reach on shelves, one on each floor.
    Top tip: they can tailstand, which is a highly(!) recommended feature when bringing some portable light to the family cabin where there is no electricity.
    Multiple modes, ranging from 8 to 760 Lm (232 to 2 hours runtime).

-Cars: Double-CR123 Streamlight Poly-Tac in high-visibility yellow. Single output, only for emergency uses.

-General portability: Single-18650 headlight, in my case, the Nitecore HC90. Stored in a tray in the foyer. With a spare battery placed in a box right next to it.
    Several output modes.

-End of the world: Octa-18650 Fenix TK76 (with battery extender). 450 Lm for 32 hours, or 25 Lm for 520 hours.

Generally speaking, during a blackout, I would not want nor need more than 2 rooms lit at any single time. Granted, our familiy is smaller than 4 people, but under a prolonged blackout, I'd A) want several batteries ready-charged already, so I can keep whatever lights I decide to bring with me lit for pretty much any duration (battery preservation would be a given, naturally, considering I likely wouldn't know for how long I'd had to go without being able to recharge), and B) having smaller lights around for both access to illumination (as opposed to just a little light) and redundancy, in case my main light failed me for whatever reason.

Having as many as possible of the lights work on the same sort of battery would also be a good idea.

TL;DR: I'd have 2x double-AA lights for "just a little light" (100-150 Lm), plus 1x quad-AA light for illumination (500-1000 Lm) for (technically speaking, hopefully brief) social periods.
    I'd bring rechargable - and recharged (having messed than one up once!) - spares for them all, plus one 4-pack of alcalines, just in case and as a last resort.

Flashaholic

Used 1 candle power to take a bath... hehe!
    Used a tea light for lighting and just a bucket of water to take a bath to simulate a power outage and water shortage.
    Highly doable for me. I wouldn't suggest it to my family members though. Maybe 10-15 lumens for kids. 100 lumens if giving the baby a bath.

Amazon now has a Storm Preparedness section, quite a selection..

Flashaholic

I check the charge on the Eneloops in my TK40 every spring and have lanterns, headlamps, 2 AA flashlights, and many others. Lighting is covered. I also have lots of Eneloops, Lithium AAA, AA, and 9v batteries, USB power packs, car chargers, inverters, and 3 computer UPSs. This and only two power outages longer than a few minutes in over 20 years.

Better to have it and not need it..

Flashaholic

Testing some of my area lighting & emergency gear.
    Streamlining most of my gear to run of AA (single cell if possible since this also makes it easier to weed out a bad cell) due to accessibility of power source, ease of charging, and safe chemistry. Good balance of output and runtime as well.

• GE Enbrighten Lantern - 350 lumens in CW but closer to neutral tint. (I like this light so much that I'm picking up the newer 600 lumen version.) 8xD but can run on 4xD at half the runtime. I have AA->D Eneloop adapters.
    • Energizer Light Fusion 2-in-1 flashlight/lamp 4xAA (Cool white but not bluish white.).
    • Energizer 2-in-1 lamp 2xAA. (The lamp LED is almost neutral but the next one I bought was cool white.)
    • UCO Leschi extendable flashlight/lantern 1xAA.
    • Nite-Ize 3-in-1 extendable flashlight/lantern/beacon 1xAA.
    • Fenix LD10 with diffuser wand (my pocket EDC) 1xAA.
    • Coleman flashlight/wand in Red & Green. 1xAAA.
    • Olight UC magnetic Ni-Mh/Li-Ion charger. (My EDC and bugout gear charger)
    • Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel.
    • Goal Zero Guide 10+ batter charger & power bank.
    • Axing 4xAA power bank.
    • Klarus XT11 Upgrade is peeking from the left side (my bag EDC)

Testing some of my area lighting & emergency gear.
    Streamlining most of my gear to run of AA (single cell if possible since this also makes it easier to weed out a bad cell) due to accessibility of power source, ease of charging, and safe chemistry. Good balance of output and runtime as well.

• GE Enbrighten Lantern - 350 lumens in CW but closer to neutral tint. (I like this light so much that I'm picking up the newer 600 lumen version.) 8xD but can run on 4xD at half the runtime. I have AA->D Eneloop adapters.
    • Energizer Light Fusion 2-in-1 flashlight/lamp 4xAA (Cool white but not bluish white.).
    • Energizer 2-in-1 lamp 2xAA. (The lamp LED is almost neutral but the next one I bought was cool white.)
    • UCO Leschi extendable flashlight/lantern 1xAA.
    • Nite-Ize 3-in-1 extendable flashlight/lantern/beacon 1xAA.
    • Fenix LD10 with diffuser wand (my pocket EDC) 1xAA.
    • Coleman flashlight/wand in Red & Green. 1xAAA.
    • Olight UC magnetic Ni-Mh/Li-Ion charger. (My EDC and bugout gear charger)
    • Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel.
    • Goal Zero Guide 10+ batter charger & power bank.
    • Axing 4xAA power bank.
    • Klarus XT11 Upgrade is peeking from the left side (my bag EDC)

Just in case you didn't know. The goal zero battery charger and power bank has an standby current drain. It will run your batteries that you leave in it flat in about 6 months. I store the batteries seperate.
    What do you mean they blew up the death star.......... Wait....What the hell is an Aluminium Falcon?

Quote Originally Posted by pblanch View Post
    Just in case you didn't know. The goal zero battery charger and power bank has an standby current drain. It will run your batteries that you leave in it flat in about 6 months. I store the batteries seperate.
    That is one thing that is truly important.... knowing what devices drain batteries sitting in storage. It is a wasted effort if when you do have an outage nothing works because of poorly designed electronic circuits in things.

Speaking of power outages there were a few around here from the tornadoes a few days ago and a storm that came through. There wasn't very many people without power though and in this muggy weather I'm glad to have AC.

Jackery Powerbar; 20,800mAh @ 85 watts constant, just plug in your laptop or fan. Arriving next month for $200, current but limited Indiegogo preorder price is nearly half that.

That's one of my options. Possibly some Fenix CL20's
    When I set up our new bedframe, I'll see what are the other possible options.
    The bedframe has long steel posts so magnetic base lights and lanterns would be another option.
    I'll see after I set it up.
    I'm curious on how the set up worked out for you. Since we're in the middle of the typhoon season (I'm from the Philippines too), I'm thinking of setting up a similar system using Nitecore's LR30 but did some reading on the CL20's and it sounds like it might work out better for me given the option of using AAs.
    Last edited by KhazukX; 09-10-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: grammar edit

Flashaholic*

Why not buy the "UPS Battery Backup"(If you don't already have a few) ,add a car battery if you want longer run time, cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Jackery Powerbar; 20,800mAh @ 85 watts constant, just plug in your laptop or fan. Arriving next month for $200, current but limited Indiegogo preorder price is nearly half that.

Quote Originally Posted by glockboy View Post
    Why not buy the "UPS Battery Backup"(If you don't already have a few) ,add a car battery if you want longer run time, cheaper too.
    UPS strips are heavy SLA affairs that have generally poor battery life and reliability, this is a light and lithe Li-ion pack that's roughly the size of a coffee creamer can/1.5 lbs. It also has USB/USB-C/QuickCharge 3.0, and the pack recharges via the USB-C port for speed, plus there's an available solar panel accessory you plug directly into the charger if you'd prefer to recharge that way.

Every year at this time, when the nights start to get longer, it's time for me to stock up. As Poppy knows, that means a lot of peanut butter. Also oatmeal, canned food high in protein, and the meals-in-bags that are all over the grocery store these days and require no refrigeration. Every time I'm at the store, I buy one or two items, maybe $5 worth. If it's just me and the wife, I'm good for two-weeks at the moment. If the kids are home, half that. But that's just the emergency food, not the regular food we have on hand anyway. But I want at least a solid two-week supply for four people. This year I'm also keeping a big container of good quality protein powder on the side as well. That stuff is very handy.

And I'm buying more Eneloops and another power bank from Anker. Maybe a USB rechargeable light as well.

The real beauty of all this is how little it actually costs to be well prepared. Keep it simple and buy stuff on sale.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313435363738394041