Spark SG3, SG5 (16340/cr123, 14500/aa)

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.spark-light.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=38
http://www.spark-light.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=37

this popped up in another thread. looks like Spark has some new models to directly compete with the h31, h51.
dimensions are pretty similar to ZL with ZL with a very slight edge but pretty much the same.

but spark implemented their removable reflector feature. so it would be an equivalent of owning a h51f and h51 with the extra lens(+$10usd)

price. someone posted a link. hkequipment had it for 59 shipped which is cheaper than zebralight's $69. or view it as 59+10 reflector=69usd multi use

the cf looks nice, i wonder if there is aluminum under it? i can imagine as how does the current flow from the top to bottom. i think it's purely aesthetic.

spark has always been able to use regular and li-ions. no change here.

same UI. spark's no nonsense simple ui vs zebralight's flashaholic dream ui(with extra levels, sublumens, etc)

the new wristband feature. to be honest, i'm not sure if that's actually useful by the direction it's facing. but spark is still pushing the envelope. i think they started the trend of clips, magnetic and other accessories for their headlamps.

no top strap. these are the lightweight ones so it's not totally necessary. actually truthfully i never liked topstraps as they don't look so great.

no mention on if there is any output difference on nimh vs li-ion on the sg5.

some worthy competitors for ZL. xtar came out with one. armytek should be coming out with one.

with no h52 in sight i think this easily trumps ZL. Pending a review of course hehe.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
OH WOW....YES!

260LM on the AA version (14500 support) Neutral white. Ugliest headband of all time, but so what. I'll take it!

Last edited:

1mT

Newly Enlightened
this popped up in another thread. looks like Spark has some new models to directly compete with the h31, h51.
dimensions are pretty similar to ZL with ZL with a very slight edge but pretty much the same.

but spark implemented their removable reflector feature. so it would be an equivalent of owning a h51f and h51 with the extra lens(+$10usd)

I think these are analogues H502* and H302* without reflector
and H51* and H31* with reflector.
I guess this reflector is suitable.

2013713141.jpg

201371418.jpg

2013726593.jpg

Last edited:

petr9999

Newly Enlightened
any idea if it will give higher output on lion? never owned a spark, and didnt want zl because of the tint issue (xml2 t5/6 is going to look sweet!)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks interesting. simple enough design, good spacing, easy access to the emitter for a swap.
im not so confident in the reliability of sparks based from past models... but im hopeful and will be keeping an eye on these.

1mT

Newly Enlightened
Spark sells CW & NW versions.
It's very interesting, will they release high-CRI versions?
Then Spark's flashlights will compete with the H502d & H502c.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a great headlamp except they forgot to incorporate low modes. In 2013 now, I can't believe 1lumen is the lowest from ANY company and whether it is a flashlight or headlamp. Don't they realize part of the reason Zebralight has so many repeat customers is because of it's low modes? I own close to 10 Zebralight models and it is precisely because they have super long runtimes on the low lumen modes.

This proves my theory about repeat customers (or not) as I will NOT be buying a Spark until the day they add low modes (.1 lumen or more appropriately a .01 lumen mode) and with much longer runtimes than 10 days of runtime, the Zebralight H502 can run 3 months or 90 days on the same AA Eneloop battery.

Until Spark starts to add low modes and longer runtimes, they are dead to me. Zebralight for life!!!

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think zebralight get lots of customers because is their ui and extra sub modes. Remember, not everyone lives in areas that are pitch black and walk around in pitch black rooms.

Last edited:

Whizkid

Newly Enlightened
Sweet looking lights. I'm with skyfire in that will be looking closely at these.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in for a NW SG5, if early user reviews are positive. The 1lm low works for me. Spark offers a one-year warranty just like Zebralight.

MattSPL

Enlightened
They look nice, I'm trying to decide between sg3 and sg5.

EDIT: Just ordered an sg5

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a great headlamp except they forgot to incorporate low modes. In 2013 now, I can't believe 1lumen is the lowest from ANY company and whether it is a flashlight or headlamp. Don't they realize part of the reason Zebralight has so many repeat customers is because of it's low modes? I own close to 10 Zebralight models and it is precisely because they have super long runtimes on the low lumen modes.

This proves my theory about repeat customers (or not) as I will NOT be buying a Spark until the day they add low modes (.1 lumen or more appropriately a .01 lumen mode) and with much longer runtimes than 10 days of runtime, the Zebralight H502 can run 3 months or 90 days on the same AA Eneloop battery.

Until Spark starts to add low modes and longer runtimes, they are dead to me. Zebralight for life!!!

no headlight thread is complete without a beacon of light sublumen preach :)
i always liked the sub lumen even for just for finding a light in a bag easier.
for me 1lumen for a low is fine. especially if it's in the all flood mule setup. not a deal killer for me.

i'm always very attracted to the ZL's UI because i like to play with settings and have no problem learning.
so far Spark's UI has been good to me and easy to explain to others. i'm not sure how actually they can implement extra modes(sub lumens) without cluttering the UI. Unless they get rid of the double click Super which is actually very useful. Maybe it's better this way. Why have all the companies making the same product? If you need sublumens then it's a easy choice.

The swappable reflector is the most attractive feature. I think ZL could do the same if they want. But it'll kill sales.

I'm going to wait for a review before I pull the trigger. Even if the h52 came out tomorrow it would be a hard decision to pick over this. Swappable lens in a compact body. drool. the biggest problem with the SD series are they are visually big. Brilliant lights but they are very dorky(beer can to head). Still my SD6 is my fav headlamp.

Looks wise, I would of liked to have seen a black headstrap that would compliment the CF look rather than the green one. But maybe as a brand it's better they stick with their green strap look which is already associate with the brand.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look nice, I'm trying to decide between sg3 and sg5.

EDIT: Just ordered an sg5

it's really hard to resist. haha luckily i have made some recent expensive purchases to hold me over.

i have the same problem owning both types of cells. i really want the headlamp to be as compact as possible but i cannot ignore the fact in the an emergency it's easier to find an alkaline aa. i think you made the right choice.

MattSPL

Enlightened
it's really hard to resist. haha luckily i have made some recent expensive purchases to hold me over.

i have the same problem owning both types of cells. i really want the headlamp to be as compact as possible but i cannot ignore the fact in the an emergency it's easier to find an alkaline aa. i think you made the right choice.

I have an sc52 on the way which is my first 14500 light, so I thought an sg5 headlamp to use the 14500's was a good idea, especially for work.

Your right about finding an alkaline in an emergency, that's what sold me on the sg5. It will be great for doing fuse boards in poor light or the dark, and easy to pick up some alkaline's if my rechargeable's run out.

petr9999

Newly Enlightened
I asked spark if the output is the same on 14500, here is the response. I will be waiting for a review now, to see if the light is regulated or direct drive on 14500

"
Hi,
It is not, actually using Li-on cell, output would be a little higher.

regards,
"

Trevilux

Enlightened
I asked spark if the output is the same on 14500, here is the response. I will be waiting for a review now, to see if the light is regulated or direct drive on 14500

"
Hi,
It is not, actually using Li-on cell, output would be a little higher.

regards,
"

:confused:

I think Spark could give more detailed responses...

petr9999

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping for one as well :/

I got a 10$ off for coupon, if someone wants it pm me

Last edited: