Fenix TK75

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hi everybody,Everybody, who has the Fenix TK75,1 Do you still like this incredible flashlight? I have it, and its really awesome, really bright, fantastic throw, nice white beam. in one word, Fantastic!To the owners, of the TK75, what are you saying about its brightness, throw, and quality?2 Do you think, it really can outthrow a carheadlight halogen, at highbeam? For example, A VW Golf halogen, at highbeam?Can the TK 75 outthrow it? What are your thoughts? Remco

lwknight

Enlightened
A lot would depend on where you are. In the Texas polluted air around the metro-mess about 300 meters is all any light is good for.
More lights that are spread apart and out of your sight line will out throw any flashlight because the haze blinds you beyond about 300 yards.

RemcoM

Enlightened
So my Fenix TK75 with 2600 lumens, and with 92000 candela, and 600 meters plus beam distance, can outthrow a carheadlight?

I hope, because, i want a flashlight, that has the power, or more power than a carheadlight?

Who knows more about this?

Remco

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
The TK75 will not disappoint you. I hear a XML2 version is coming out soon 2600 vs 2900Lumens?

thedeske

Enlightened
The TK75 will not disappoint you. I hear a XML2 version is coming out soon 2600 vs 2900Lumens?

Like we can see the difference at that level ;)

Very interested in this light for some time. Perhaps the new version will knock down the price of V1
before it goes out of stock.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Like we can see the difference at that level ;)

Very interested in this light for some time. Perhaps the new version will knock down the price of V1
before it goes out of stock.

I have also thought about if +300 lumens difference alone is going to be visible at all at such high effect,but i think that an upgrade to XM-L2 will give other advantages as well such as longer burntime and a more intensive beam.It am looking forward to see a video comparsion of the upgraded TK75 with XM-L2.

I think that one will see lower prices on the TK75 pretty soon from dealers clearing out the stock in favor of the upgraded one.I am not sure if i am going to get one old TK75 to a lower price,or if i should wait and get the new upgraded one?:thinking: If i see a real good price i guess i will go for the old TK75.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm just being a #$#@ but what's up with all the threads basically saying "is my amazing light outputting 2000+ lumens really amazing? Just go for a nightwalk in a dimly lit urban/suburban area and be amazed :)

There was the one asking if the Fenix TK70 was obsolete and I laughed. How is a light that outputs 2000+ lumens obsolete. It's crazy well engineered and can light up the night like nothing you can ever find at most brick stores. My max lumen light right now is "only" ~800 lumens, but it legitimately looks like car high beams when I'm walking down a road with it. So 2000+ lumens will satisfy you without problem :) Sorry if I'm being snarky lol.

I did have a chance to play with a TK75 and it's very impressive. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Fenix does with the TK51.

RemcoM

Enlightened
1 Why does the TK75 look not very bright, when i shine it near a streetlight?

2 Why does it only look very very bright, when i shine it outside in the real dark areas, outside a city?

3 My neighbour says ,he is not impressed at all, when i showed my TK75 at turbo to him, (but was near a streetlight) he says, his brother has a standard maglite, that is considerably brighter than my TK75 ,he says.

Why do he say this?

Please help me, with this questions.

Remco

TEEJ

Flashaholic
1 Why does the TK75 look not very bright, when i shine it near a streetlight?

2 Why does it only look very very bright, when i shine it outside in the real dark areas, outside a city?

3 My neighbour says ,he is not impressed at all, when i showed my TK75 at turbo to him, (but was near a streetlight) he says, his brother has a standard maglite, that is considerably brighter than my TK75 ,he says.

Why do he say this?

Please help me, with this questions.

Remco

Its mostly because people are HORRIBLE judges of brightness, and are always fooled by lux.

Think of it this way:

A car headlight might be sending out ~ 650 lumens or so...depending on which one.....and it spreads it out wide in a fan pattern, with a top cut off, so more of the lumens sent out are concentrated on the bottom/ground side of the fan's pattern.

An LED maglight might be able to put out ~ 131 lumens, but they are all concentrated into a teeny dot of light.

We can't SEE lumens. We can only SEE what the photons bounce back to our eyes look like. The amount of light that bounces off the target to our eyes is referred to as LUX. So, essentially, what we SEE is the LUX, not the lumens.

So, for the average joe blow, and most flashlight affectionados as well, we will perceive a teeny spot of high lux as "brighter" than a ginormous flood of lower lux.

If we compare the bounced back light (Lux) to the depth of water on a surface, and compare the lumens to the water flow from a hose....we get a scenario where we can imagine that we can put our thumb over the end of the hose, and choose to send out a small stream of water that goes farther, or, a larger stream that pours out of the hose but doesn't shoot out much, etc.

If we are going to fill a swimming pool, say to get it 6' deep, it takes a LOT of water....many many gallons, etc.

If we only need to fill a tall skinny cylinder 6' long, we may only need ONE gallon, etc.

So, lights that have a floody beam are covering a large (Swimming pool type area), and use most of their power to achieve a moderate level of light over a broad area.

Lights with a tight beam (Such as a maglight), would be like filling that pool with a water pistol. The teeny squirt would hit the pool floor and all you'd see is a few drops worth. Use the same wee squirts to fill a shot glass, and it can make it deep though.

So, I regularly see people for example, who view a 950 lumen SC600 shined on a wall 20' away vs a 131 lumen maglight, and report that the maglight was "Brighter"....because their eyes perceived the teeny bright spot as the measure of "brightness".

If all you are concerned with is what others think of your light, just get aspherical lensed lights that concentrate all the power into a small point of bright light, and wow your friends.

If you want to SEE things with your light, try this experiment - Go to a place where there are an assortment of potential targets covering a wide area, say a grave yard (Lots of tomb stones), etc, and turn on one of the lights, and count how many things you SEE. Then, turn that one off, and turn on the other one, and repeat the process.

The one that helps you to SEE MORE is the one that is typically more useful.

:D

RemcoM

Enlightened
But, Teej, or others,

Can my TK75 does win the candela/throw/beamintensity, at turbosetting,of this VW Golf, with its high beams on?

Can i calculate that, is here who can help me with this?
1373469212_526573641_1-vw-golf-4-16-sr-coupe-2-door-wynberg.jpg

This are the headlights of a Volkswagen Golf.

174249063_VW_Golf_Headlight_2004_2009_1J1941017K_s.jpg

TEEJ

Flashaholic
But, Teej, or others,

Can my TK75 does win the candela/throw/beamintensity, at turbosetting,of this VW Golf, with its high beams on?

Can i calculate that, is here who can help me with this?
1373469212_526573641_1-vw-golf-4-16-sr-coupe-2-door-wynberg.jpg

This are the headlights of a Volkswagen Golf.

174249063_VW_Golf_Headlight_2004_2009_1J1941017K_s.jpg

LOL

There are numbers you can compare.

What is the cd?

What are the OTF / ANSI Lumens?

But, frankly, I say drive out to an open area, perhaps a few hundred meters from a row of trees or sides of buildings, etc....and turn on the hi beams, and see what you see. The headlights are OPTIMIZED to shine on the ground/and out in front of you, and the beam is not round....more of a rectangle than a circle.

That means that the hi beams should do a decent job of showing low areas, and not much at higher elevations. So a tall building in your hi beams, with windows up on the 30th floor for example, might be dark at the upper floors, etc...but lit up at the lower floors.

The flashlight beam is ROUND, so the aim point is higher. That means that the hot spot at a long range might be able to hit a few stories up that bld...while the lower part of the beam lights the bottom floors, and the upper part of the beam lights up the upper floors, etc.

Compare what you see with the flashlight to what you see with the hi beams....and that can tell you the essence of what you ask.

If you only care about range...park facing an area with a long enough line of sight that the hi beams don't show you the end of it....so its dark past the head light's range.

Then turn on the TK75, and see if you can see farther.

RemcoM

Enlightened
LOL

There are numbers you can compare.

What is the cd?

What are the OTF / ANSI Lumens?

But, frankly, I say drive out to an open area, perhaps a few hundred meters from a row of trees or sides of buildings, etc....and turn on the hi beams, and see what you see. The headlights are OPTIMIZED to shine on the ground/and out in front of you, and the beam is not round....more of a rectangle than a circle.

That means that the hi beams should do a decent job of showing low areas, and not much at higher elevations. So a tall building in your hi beams, with windows up on the 30th floor for example, might be dark at the upper floors, etc...but lit up at the lower floors.

The flashlight beam is ROUND, so the aim point is higher. That means that the hot spot at a long range might be able to hit a few stories up that bld...while the lower part of the beam lights the bottom floors, and the upper part of the beam lights up the upper floors, etc.

Compare what you see with the flashlight to what you see with the hi beams....and that can tell you the essence of what you ask.

If you only care about range...park facing an area with a long enough line of sight that the hi beams don't show you the end of it....so its dark past the head light's range.

Then turn on the TK75, and see if you can see farther.

Hi Teej,

Its not my car, its only a picture of a car(Vw Golf)

I not have a car, i only want know, can the TK75 outthrow a Carheadlight, Vw Golf or so.

Does anybody here knows that, or can i find more info on the internet about this?

Remco

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm guessing it can out throw the car headlights. It has a cd of ~ 96k

The headlights are probably half that at on average....the best might be closer to ~3/4 of that.

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
I'm guessing it can out throw the car headlights. It has a cd of ~ 96k

The headlights are probably half that at on average....the best might be closer to ~3/4 of that.

And what about Scooter, and Motorbike headlights?

I hope my TK75 will still win.

And i point it for once time, on my bicycle, does the Fenix TK75, blind others?

What about low mode 18 lumens, 800 candela 60 meters beam distance. on my bicycle?

What about mid mode 400 lumens, 13000 CD 230 meters beam distance, on my bicycle?

What about high mode 1100 lumens, 39000 CD 380 meters beam distance, on my bicycle?

And, what about the turbo mode, 2600 lumens, 92000 CD 606 meters beam distance on my bicycle?

What are the effects of all 4 modes on my TK75 for oncomming drivers/traffic, when shining straight forward, and pointed down a bit to the road?

I do this for once a time, but i do not know, if it is to dangerous for oncomming traffic.

Can you help me with this questions, Teej, or others?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about low mode 18 lumens, 800 candela 60 meters beam distance. on my bicycle?

What about mid mode 400 lumens, 13000 CD 230 meters beam distance, on my bicycle?

What about high mode 1100 lumens, 39000 CD 380 meters beam distance, on my bicycle?

And, what about the turbo mode, 2600 lumens, 92000 CD 606 meters beam distance on my bicycle?

What are the effects of all 4 modes on my TK75 for oncomming drivers/traffic, when shining straight forward, and pointed down a bit to the road?

I do this for once a time, but i do not know, if it is to dangerous for oncomming traffic.

Thank you very much.

Lots of questions.... honestly though you just have to try it out for yourself. I think if you can mount it to your bicycle somehow and have it aimed slightly below 0 degrees then you should have an awesome bike light. That will give you great throw and light up everything in front of you. And honestly for a bike the mid mode of 400 lumens should be enough. If you do want to use it at 1100 lumens then yes, you probably shouldn't have it shining UP into other drivers faces. If drivers are blinded by a light they can't really make out what the object (a bike rider) is so if you shine it somewhat downward so the hotspot isn't in their eyes then they can see you and the very bright light which will show them you are coming.

Honestly... I had the chance to hold a TK75 briefly and it seems like it's way too big of a light for a bike. Check out The Fenix BT-10 or BT-20 bike lights... those have great output and won't get in the way. Or you can do what I do and just mount several small lights like E21's/LD20's to your handlebars with strap mounts or an actual bike mount. The new version of flashlight mount that fenix makes is very good.

houser23

Enlightened

Thank you very much.

How old are you?

Capolini

Banned

It just came out!!! I will be getting mine on Monday, 8.12.2013!!! Paid only $179.00 for it with a promo code from "Fenix outfitters"!

Can not wait to get it!

Also, I agree with the description by RemcoM, " Has a nice white beam". Another member said he would choose the RC-40 over the TK-75 because of a skew Green color to it? I never saw that.

Have a great weekend!!:thumbsup:

Take care,,Capo di Capo,,,Roberto

Capolini

Banned
Hi everybody,Everybody, who has the Fenix TK75,1 Do you still like this incredible flashlight? I have it, and its really awesome, really bright, fantastic throw, nice white beam. in one word, Fantastic!To the owners, of the TK75, what are you saying about its brightness, throw, and quality?2 Do you think, it really can outthrow a carheadlight halogen, at highbeam? For example, A VW Golf halogen, at highbeam?Can the TK 75 outthrow it? What are your thoughts? Remco

Ironic that you thought of that question!!!! I have a Toyota Corolla and last night after walking the Siberian several miles[!!], I tested my "Brights VS. the "Original TK-75 . The TK-75 was BRIGHTER and went further!! My car is a 2001, so I do not know exactly what kind of lights they are! Was still very impressive to me!! The new TK-75 will be a bit brighter w/ 300 more lumens and 27,500 more candela's!!

ciao,,,,Roberto,"Capo di Capo":thumbsup:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Ironic that you thought of that question!!!! I have a Toyota Corolla and last night after walking the Siberian several miles[!!], I tested my "Brights VS. the "Original TK-75 . The TK-75 was BRIGHTER and went further!! My car is a 2001, so I do not know exactly what kind of lights they are! Was still very impressive to me!! The new TK-75 will be a bit brighter w/ 300 more lumens and 27,500 more candela's!!

ciao,,,,Roberto,"Capo di Capo":thumbsup:

Hi Capolini,

So, you tested the TK75 with your car? Was it tested with your cars high beams? And so, how much brighter was the TK75