Lifetime expectancy of a LE for Tri EDC

D2000

Enlightened
Hey guys just wondering if there was any info that was passed around about the running times of the TriEDC LE over the course of its whole life. How much usage can I expect out of my baby?

Cheers

persco

Enlightened
Hey guys just wondering if there was any info that was passed around about the running times of the TriEDC LE over the course of its whole life. How much usage can I expect out of my baby?

Cheers

The LEDs themselves and the McClicky switch might be the weakest parts, but the LEDs are probably good 50,000 hours. That would be about 6 years of continuous use, never turning it off). And I haven't heard of many people who have worn out a McClicky switch (which can be replaced cheaply anyway).

Mac will sell you a updated drop in if you want, too. That light will work and be in your life for as long you probably want.

jkid1911

Enlightened
The LEDs themselves and the McClicky switch might be the weakest parts, but the LEDs are probably good 50,000 hours. That would be about 6 years of continuous use, never turning it off). And I haven't heard of many people who have worn out a McClicky switch (which can be replaced cheaply anyway).

Mac will sell you a updated drop in if you want, too. That light will work and be in your life for as long you probably want.

:thumbsup:

Megatrowned

Enlightened
I just replaced a McClicky in a used Mac I bought. It took more time to find the spare switch than to change it. It took two minutes tops!

D2000

Enlightened
All answers have been most satisfying to read. Cheers. I was actually getting a little concerned that I was putting my baby through it's paces too much (30-45 minutes a day)

Shooter21

Enlightened
Would you guys say that without any type of external cooling the copper tri edc would get hot enough to damage the LEDs on max?

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Would you guys say that without any type of external cooling the copper tri edc would get hot enough to damage the LEDs on max?

This would depend on a few things. What is the max drive level? Most important, how long are you keeping it on? Most custom lights push the limits of the led/runtime/proper cooling equation. Even a stock Haiku, which is not pushed that hard, is not meant to be left on more than a few minutes.

However, a copper host would be your best bet if you want the longest on 'on high' runtime, being that it would transfer heat more efficiently that other common flashlight materials. Keep it in your hand, or dunk it in water to cool it. Don't turn it on high and walk away. It isn't designed to work that way.

To compare to something that is meant to run continuously, I have a MR16 led lamp. It's made by Philips, and it's a Quad. It also has active cooling (a small fan) built in. They claim it produces 415 lumens. Mac claimes double the lumens for his Tri.

Hope this helps!

Austin

Shooter21

Enlightened
This would depend on a few things. What is the max drive level? Most important, how long are you keeping it on? Most custom lights push the limits of the led/runtime/proper cooling equation. Even a stock Haiku, which is not pushed that hard, is not meant to be left on more than a few minutes.

However, a copper host would be your best bet if you want the longest on 'on high' runtime, being that it would transfer heat more efficiently that other common flashlight materials. Keep it in your hand, or dunk it in water to cool it. Don't turn it on high and walk away. It isn't designed to work that way.

To compare to something that is meant to run continuously, I have a MR16 led lamp. It's made by Philips, and it's a Quad. It also has active cooling (a small fan) built in. They claim it produces 415 lumens. Mac claimes double the lumens for his Tri.

Hope this helps!

Austin
The drive levels are stock and if i were to turn it on for 15 minutes on max I'm guessing the LEDs would get damaged.

nbp

Flashaholic
A stock Haiku can be on high for awhile without problem. Some members have used theirs continuously draining a cell in one crack.

At any rate, go by the rule of thumb. If the light is too hot for your thumb, it's too hot for the emitters.

D2000

Enlightened
A stock Haiku can be on high for awhile without problem. Some members have used theirs continuously draining a cell in one crack.

At any rate, go by the rule of thumb. If the light is too hot for your thumb, it's too hot for the emitters.
Hahaha well said. The rule of thumb works best for things like this. I plan on getting a copper Tri soon. That's all i ever worry about when using my Aluminium Tri.