Acebeam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenix TK75 vs. RC40

Default Fenix TK75 vs. RC40

I already have the TK75....is the RC40 that much brighter, more throw? I have never seen a comparison of the 2. If the RC40 is in another class, I am getting one! Thanks.
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

Default Fenix TK75 vs. RC40

You cannot miss this video by patriot36
    http://youtu.be/VnrmuWcwzbM
    lights: saber1a, v11r, sc52, sc600ii, ea4, tn31, archer1a.

Default Re: Fenix TK75 vs. RC40

Hmmmmm......undecided !!
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

Well, if you're going to buy one either way ... then go to goinggear because they have the rc40 on sale. I so want to pull the trigger .... but I think i'll wait for the next gen or two since I already have the tk70.

Fenix seems to have updated the TK75 and the new one puts out 2900 Lumens with XM-L2

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMor...2&tid=8&cid=1#

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by JargonGR View Post
    Fenix seems to have updated the TK75 and the new one puts out 2900 Lumens with XM-L2

Great find.

Yes it has!! They just came in yesterday! I just ordered it and will have it Monday or Tuesday!! I got it for $179.00 from Fenix Outfitters,,they gave me a $20.00 promo code!! I paid $209.00 for the original TK-75!! They only got 20 of them!! They will be gone quickly!

I am sure it will not disappoint!! I will let you know and look forward to the reviews vs. other lights!

Quote Originally Posted by ghodan View Post
    Great find.

I am new guys!! Forgive me! Sorry for NOT including JargonGR'S original update. I hope I did it right this time!

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised in how quickly it "NEW" TK-75 came out after I first noticed it on several websites.

Well I haven't bought a Fenix yet and was thinking about the TK75 so somehow I was lucky that I delayed! I was thinking of a FF4 next but since this is much more versatile I will postpone it and the TK75 with at least one extension (or 2 ) will be my next purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by holylight View Post
    You cannot miss this video by patriot36
    http://youtu.be/VnrmuWcwzbM
    Patriot36 did an excellent job!! Very informative, efficient and knowledgeable!!

Well I haven't bought a Fenix yet and was thinking about the TK75 so somehow I was lucky that I delayed! I was thinking of a FF4 next but since this is much more versatile I will postpone it and the TK75 with at least one extension (or 2 ) will be my next purchase!
    Good decision!! You won't be disappointed!! One ext. is enough. I used it[One ext.] last night and got 2 hours and 54 minutes on "Turbo"!!! It was tested, I believe with several 18650 batteries and his best was 2 hours and 20 minutes!! I have 3400 Mah authentic Panasonic cells!

Quote Originally Posted by hivoltage View Post
    I already have the TK75....is the RC40 that much brighter, more throw? I have never seen a comparison of the 2. If the RC40 is in another class, I am getting one! Thanks.
    I needed to express this!! To me it is an easy decision regarding the RC-40 or the TK-75[New version] having confidence it will be as advertized!

ok,,,,,,RC-40 - $379.00, 3500 Lumens, Beam distance 776 yards, with 126,000 candela. TK-75- $179.00 [WITH PROMO], 2900 Lumens, beam distance 754 yards with 119,500 candela.

For the RC-40 you are spending twice as much, have a flashlight much bulkier[almost 4"] , getting only 600 more lumens, 22 more yards throw and 6500 more candela. Easy choice for me!! Obviously, we need to see "Patriot" or someone do a test side by side for full validity and proof!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    the TK-75[New version] having confidence it will be as advertized!

ok,,,,,,RC-40 - $379.00, 3500 Lumens, Beam distance 776 yards, with 126,000 candela. TK-75- $179.00 [WITH PROMO], 2900 Lumens, beam distance 754 yards with 119,500 candela.
    very tempting. $.$
    lights: saber1a, v11r, sc52, sc600ii, ea4, tn31, archer1a.

Good decision!! You won't be disappointed!! One ext. is enough. I used it[One ext.] last night and got 2 hours and 54 minutes on "Turbo"!!! It was tested, I believe with several 18650 batteries and his best was 2 hours and 20 minutes!! I have 3400 Mah authentic Panasonic cells!
    Well also considering the great thermal characteristics of the TK75 it is easy. I have both Panasonic 3400s, LG Pinks 4.35v (with hobby charger), AWs and I am also waiting on some Sanyo cells to test. Maybe you are right about the third extension it is too much but it would look so huge it will be funny!

Well also considering the great thermal characteristics of the TK75 it is easy. I have both Panasonic 3400s, LG Pinks 4.35v (with hobby charger), AWs and I am also waiting on some Sanyo cells to test. Maybe you are right about the third extension it is too much but it would look so huge it will be funny!
    Absolutely JargonGR[ great thermal characteristics[features!]],it is an all around GREAT light. I am pleasantly surprised at the quality and the price,,,,,,,,,,,,when you combine the two I am not sure it can be beat!

Have a great weekend

p.s. I am a bit different than most!! My Siberian[Capo] and I both love the late fall and especially the winter! More flashlight use[ gets dark early!] and colder with lots of snow for "Capo" to run in!

I needed to express this!! To me it is an easy decision regarding the RC-40 or the TK-75[New version] having confidence it will be as advertized!
    Agreed. But I came to the opposite conclusion and will be buying an RC40. One thing you failed to consider in your decision is the added ease and convenience of operation that a built-in charging mechanism provides. I valued that feature and it contributed to making my buying decision easy.

Also, and I don't mind saying this, every beamshot of every TK75 I've ever seen skews green. Let's face it, most Fenix's do--but the RC40 seems to less than most other top-binned emitter choices Fenix employs. In fact, I find the RC40 admirably neutral in this regard.

Is the RC bulkier? Of course. And because of it, it will run significantly cooler than the TK75 over long periods of time.

Easy choice for you. Easy choice for me. Horses for courses.

Best,

Tenebrae

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    Agreed. But I came to the opposite conclusion and will be buying an RC40. One thing you failed to consider in your decision is the added ease and convenience of operation that a built-in charging mechanism provides. I valued that feature and it contributed to making my buying decision easy.

Also, and I don't mind saying this, every beamshot of every TK75 I've ever seen skews green. Let's face it, most Fenix's do--but the RC40 seems to less than most other top-binned emitter choices Fenix employs. In fact, I find the RC40 admirably neutral in this regard.

Is the RC bulkier? Of course. And because of it, it will run significantly cooler than the TK75 over long periods of time.

Easy choice for you. Easy choice for me. Horses for courses.

Best,

Tenebrae

No argument here!! We can agree to disagree!! To each his own!

I will take a less bulkier/heavier light any day over built in charging! Our situations, in regards to how we use our lights are probably different. My left hand/arm is for walking the pooch!

I never noticed a "skew Green".You may have a better eye for beams than I do. I will see if I can notice tonight when I walk the "Boss", Capo, my Siberian!

It is not only the bulk, but the added weight. The RC-40 is 4.5" longer and weighs a bit more than twice as much, 52 oz.[3lbs. 4 oz] vs. 25 oz[ 1lb 9 oz.] Those are both weights w/ batt. included.

The heat mine throws off does not concern me. It has NEVER stepped down due to heat, even in the summer as it is now[ gets pretty hot here in suburban Philly!] and never gets too hot where it is uncomfortable to hold.

Anyway, I am sure we will both enjoy our new lights.Both lights are awesome in their own ways!

Ciao,Roberto "Capo di Capo"

p.s. where are you located?

No argument here!! We can agree to disagree!! To each his own!

I will take a less bulkier/heavier light any day over built in charging! Our situations, in regards to how we use our lights are probably different. My left hand/arm is for walking the pooch!
    That's one heck of a dog-walking light! I tend to go lighter for tasks like that, carrying something like a JetBeam RRT-21, Klarus ST11 or something along those lines.

p.s. where are you located?
    Southern California--though I used to live in your neck of the woods, in Wayne.

That's one heck of a dog-walking light! I tend to go lighter for tasks like that, carrying something like a JetBeam RRT-21, Klarus ST11 or something along those lines.

Cool,Wayne ,Pa.!!! I live in Valley Forge!! How long you been living in Calif.? My Aunt lives in Valley Village[Suburb of L.A.]

I have to agree with you young man!!!! The TK-75 is a powerful and a bit large to walk the Dog!!! I don't have your average Dog!!! I am addicted to lighting up the woods!! I walk on different trails[Schuylkill River Trail, Perkiomen Trail ect.] where it is dark!! No homes! In reality, I only need the 400 lumen setting. But I love Turbo, that is the only setting I use!! I just make sure if I pass through a residential area, I keep it on low!

take care,Ciao,"Capo di Capo",,,,,,Roberto

Oh, yes, I forgot!! I do have a Jetbeam BC-40 which is an awesome light that is also light and bright enough[830 LUMENS ON HIGH AND 130 ON LOW] I used that all the time before I got the TK-75.

For the RC-40 you are spending twice as much, have a flashlight much bulkier[almost 4"] , getting only 600 more lumens, 22 more yards throw and 6500 more candela. Easy choice for me!! Obviously, we need to see "Patriot" or someone do a test side by side for full validity and proof!!
    Not exactly, let's not get carried away.

Don't forget that the tk75 does not come with any batteries. It takes 4x18650 plus you need a charger. That's easily another ~ 45-50 bucks minimum. You need to pay attention to keeping the batteries matched etc. 200 plus let's say 50 bucks comes to 250.

When I posted goinggear had the rc40 on sale for ~ 277. The rc40 comes with everything you need, including battery, which you don't need to babysit to the same degree and you can charge in your car via 12V etc.

If one had not already invested in 18650's and charger it would be a much, much closer call.

Don't think the rc40 is on sale anymore so the comparison is different now.

However, both products are geared to different requirements. If you are into SAR work and need more flexible charging opportunities ... the rc40 may be a better choice plus it has superior output. If you are a "typical" Fenix enthusiast, like the smaller form factor and have already been exposed to 18650s then the tk75 maybe better suited. It depends.

*edit* the goinggear anniversary sale is still on. So, my example is still valid. rc40 @277 versus the tk75 @~250ish. Your call.
    Last edited by bill_n_opus; 08-11-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_n_opus View Post
    Not exactly, let's not get carried away.

Don't forget that the tk75 does not come with any batteries. It takes 4x18650 plus you need a charger. That's easily another ~ 45-50 bucks minimum. You need to pay attention to keeping the batteries matched etc. 200 plus let's say 50 bucks comes to 250.

When I posted goinggear had the rc40 on sale for ~ 277. The rc40 comes with everything you need, including battery, which you don't need to babysit to the same degree and you can charge in your car via 12V etc.

If one had not already invested in 18650's and charger it would be a much, much closer call.

Don't think the rc40 is on sale anymore so the comparison is different now.

However, both products are geared to different requirements. If you are into SAR work and need more flexible charging opportunities ... the rc40 may be a better choice plus it has superior output. If you are a "typical" Fenix enthusiast, like the smaller form factor and have already been exposed to 18650s then the tk75 maybe better suited. It depends.

*edit* the goinggear anniversary sale is still on. So, my example is still valid. rc40 @277 versus the tk75 @~250ish. Your call.

Like you said, it DEPENDS on what you are using it for! I use it [TK-75] for mostly walking my Siberian Husky[in the woods/isolated areas where he can kill small animals for our dinner!!. As I stated in earlier posts, I do not want a bulkier light that also weighs twice as much.

In regards to the RC-40 being a superior light, I disagree! The "New" TK-75 will be closer to the output[candelas, lumens, beam distance- in which I compared in earlier posts] of the RC-40.One may think the RC-40 is superior because of battery pack, output ect, one may think it is inferior because of weight, length, overall bulk!

We all have opinions and can analyze stuff to death! I see your points, it is a close call[!!!] and a matter of what ones needs are.

I have invested in chargers.I got Two nitecore I4 Chargers for $16.00!! Original on sale and one for free from a screw up by dealer! I also have Two Trustfire 4 slot chargers from last year.

I think the batteries kind of even out. The RC-40 battery pack is $63.00 to replace.

Anyway, as time progresses[I already have Twelve lights in 9 months of this!!] I will probably get the RC-40!!!! . By that time the girlfriend will have gotten rid of me for all this money I spend on this new hobby/addiction!!

So all of this will be a moot point!!! LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!

Have a nice day,,,,,,,,Ciao,Roberto,,"Capo di Capo"

I forgot one thing that I briefly mentioned before. The TK-75 has battery kits, RC-40 does not!!

With One [1] kit my "Turbo" time improved from 1h 10 min. to 2 h 54 min!! Two and a half times more run time!! More batteries, less stress on each one results in more efficiency!

Also, the TK- 75 [with One kit] is still more than an inch shorter [10 5/8"] than the RC-40[11 3/4"] and only weighs 32 oz[2 lbs.] compared to 52 oz.[ 3lbs. 4 oz.]!!

I REST my case!!! lol,lol,lol!!
    Last edited by Capolini; 08-31-2013 at 09:10 AM.

LoL Capolini I am also relatively new to flashlights and damn it is addictive. In 9 months about 20 lights (including bike lights) and lots of batteries (over 100 rechargeables) as well as chargers in the likes of MAHA C9000, iCharger 106b and an XSTAR.

Battery wise I am full of 18650s so price wise the TK75 + extension (later) makes better sense for me since I already have a Black Shadow Terminator (XML U3 bins) for high output as well.

LoL Capolini I am also relatively new to flashlights and damn it is addictive. In 9 months about 20 lights (including bike lights) and lots of batteries (over 100 rechargeables) as well as chargers in the likes of MAHA C9000, iCharger 106b and an XSTAR.

Battery wise I am full of 18650s so price wise the TK75 + extension (later) makes better sense for me since I already have a Black Shadow Terminator (XML U3 bins) for high output as well.

Hi JargonGR,

Holy Sh..!!!! 20 lights in 9 months!!! We both better go to "Flashaholics anonymous"!!! lol . You have almost twice as many as I do!! You better slow down!

I also have the Black Shadow terminator,used it again last night for the walk with my Siberian! It is a nice light for $105.00, normally $150.00.

Where is your location young man? If you turn all your torches on I could probably see you at night!

take care,,,,,,,,,,Roberto,,,,"Capo di Capo"

LoL Capolini I am also relatively new to flashlights and damn it is addictive. In 9 months about 20 lights (including bike lights)
    Damn! it took me 5 years to get 20 of them
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Damn! it took me 5 years to get 20 of them
    You are probably more reasonable[smarter] and not as impulsive as he and I!!

You are probably more reasonable[smarter] and not as impulsive as he and I!!
    No no, I'm impulsive too -the dust in my wallet keeps me save (sometimes)
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    No no, I'm impulsive too -the dust in my wallet keeps me save (sometimes)
    That makes sense! Could you please send about ten feet of snow this winter to Pennsylvania for me and my Husky!! He would love where you live!

I have the TK75, and I'm not even considering the RC40. Even if I didn't have either one, though, I'd still take the TK75 hands down, just because of the size. I don't need a club, I just want a light. The TK75 is just about borderline...it stills fits in a cargo pocket (mostly), but if I bought the RC40 I don't know that I'd ever use it, and I don't have ANY shelf queens, if I don't use it I get rid of it. I use my TM26 and TK75 for night hikes, and to show off what modern flashlights can do. I just can't see carrying a light as big as the RC40, and the size actually takes away from the WOW! factor anyway - most people expect that a light so large will be insanely bright, while the TK75 is a bit of a sleeper in comparison.

Unless you put them side by side, I doubt most people could even tell the difference in output/throw. Even side by side, as in Patriot's video, the difference does not appear to be very large (noticeable, but not huge). With the XM-L2 upgrade for the TK75, the difference will be even smaller anyway.

I view the proprietary battery pack as a very strong negative - I like having standardized solutions. In fact, I try very hard to avoid buying non-standardized items in all areas - it just creates more problems, and the best way to express your opinion on such matters is with your dollars. You are at the mercy of Fenix if you need a replacement, you can't use the battery in a different light, you need to have a charger just for it, etc...none of these issues are present with 18650s.

Since the TK75 doesn't step down, I think the thermal management is a non-issue. LEDs have a long enough life, even over-driven or at high temps, that I am not at all worried about the life of the LED. By the time it gets significantly weaker (LEDs don't burn out, just gradually dim [with normal people, I know plenty of CPFers have managed to create a "friode"]), there will be a light that completely blows both the TK75 and the RC40 out of the water, making this argument moot.

To each his own - I'm just trying to offer a rationale for MY preference, and this post should not be taken any other way.