BlackShadow
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X Burst Mode review

Default Re: Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X Burst Mode review

Quote Originally Posted by ti-force View Post
    No pre-flash here either. If memory serves correctly, I think Foursevens made changes to eliminate pre-flash back when they released the first Quark X.
    They weren't very successful at it, then. I bought a Quark QP2A-X (XML2 version) a couple of months ago, and there's definite pre-flash on moonlight mode. It's brief, not annoying bright, but it's definitely there.

There's none on my Preon. So, maybe it's only a problem with moonlight modes that are current-regulated, not PWM.

Quote Originally Posted by Etsu View Post
    They weren't very successful at it, then. I bought a Quark QP2A-X (XML2 version) a couple of months ago, and there's definite pre-flash on moonlight mode. It's brief, not annoying bright, but it's definitely there.

There's none on my Preon. So, maybe it's only a problem with moonlight modes that are current-regulated, not PWM.
    Maybe we should define pre-flash just to make sure we're on the same page. When I hear (or see) pre-flash mentioned I immediately think of it as selecting a lower output mode (e.g., moonlight) and immediately when the light is turned on the user gets an extremely bright flash that completely ruins ones night vision temporarily until ones eyes can readjust. But pre-flash could simply be an immediate flash that's dimmer than the selected modes output, correct? I've tested the first Quark x's (2x Cr123a and 2x aa) for pre-flash and have noticed a pre-flash that is dimmer than and/or the same brightness as moonlight mode immediately when the light is turned on. It's more like a flicker than a flash, and it happens so quickly that I hardly even noticed it. Is this what you're talking about or do you get an actual bright flash that takes away from your eyes adjustment to low light levels?

I get a bright flash, before the light goes down to moonlight brightness. It's very quick, and it doesn't affect my night vision, so I don't find it a problem. It's hard to estimate how bright the flash is. Probably something around 5 lumens, but that's just a guess. It only lasts for maybe 10 milliseconds. It's quick enough that I sometimes don't notice it. (A blink is longer.) It doesn't seem to matter how long the flashlight has been off, or the charge-level of the batteries. I just consider it a minor quirk that doesn't bother me. If it was a lot brighter, I might consider it to be an issue.

I'm interested in the Pro model like this. Does it take 18650 batteries if not, why the heck not, the are around 1mm difference and 18650 is now a very normal standard battery size.

Quote Originally Posted by passive101 View Post
    I'm interested in the Pro model like this. Does it take 18650 batteries if not, why the heck not, the are around 1mm difference and 18650 is now a very normal standard battery size.
    Thread size. The Quark standard lego threads just don't fit a 19690 (Let's be honest about sizes, 19mm diameter and 69mm length are required in the battery compartment) battery. The limited-run '18650 body' actually was a complete compartment because it had to have thread of smaller diameter than the hollow core for the battery to sit in.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

I'm surprised that Foursevens doesn't really support 18650 batteries in their lights. I thought they were on top of the battery scene pretty well.

I'm surprised that Foursevens doesn't really support 18650 batteries in their lights. I thought they were on top of the battery scene pretty well.

quarks were designed to be quite small and lego-able so naturally 18650 is too fat for them. so just use the 16650 or 17670

their larger MMX and MMS are 18650 compatible

Quote Originally Posted by Overclocker View Post
    quarks were designed to be quite small and lego-able so naturally 18650 is too fat for them. so just use the 16650 or 17670

their larger MMX and MMS are 18650 compatible
    Why don't they just make an optional 18650 body people can buy? 18650 is a standard that is 2x123A compatible and 18650 batteries can be purchased by the flashlights in Cabela's and Gander Mountain. I can't however purchase 16650 or 17670.

Why don't they just make an optional 18650 body people can buy? 18650 is a standard that is 2x123A compatible and 18650 batteries can be purchased by the flashlights in Cabela's and Gander Mountain. I can't however purchase 16650 or 17670.
    They did. But it's a complicated part that's expensive to build and not very cost effective. There are a few hundred in the world. (Read my post above yours).
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

exactly. 18650 is just too fat for the quarks. don't expect a slim AA/CR123 light to be able to accommodate 18650. the excellent sanyo 16650 2100mah cell is readily available from a variety of online dealers and it's what i use on my QP2L-X

No pre-flash on my QT2L-X in moonlight mode. I notice a flash only when programming the modes, which is no biggie. This is a great little light, a real pocket rocket. I bought 20 Rayovac CR123A batteries, which I believe are actually the same as the AW123A (made at the same USA plant the same way). I figure this is a better solution for camping/backpacking where I'd rather have a spare battery than a rechargeable, and the shelf life is something like 10 years.

exactly. 18650 is just too fat for the quarks. don't expect a slim AA/CR123 light to be able to accommodate 18650. the excellent sanyo 16650 2100mah cell is readily available from a variety of online dealers and it's what i use on my QP2L-X
    Sorry for the tangent but just curious on how those batteries are holding up? I've noticed most all of the newer 18650's I buy are really fragile. They fall apart in my backback (casing comes off and disc comes off the bottom) and the top dents in making them not charge in the charger or light the light; most often the problem is intermittent. Are the Sanyo's very robust?

Flashaholic

Thanks for the review. I am learning a great deal from the reviews on this forum.

I recently took advantage of FourSevens' clearance page to pick up a 123 Tactical, the predecessor to the QT2L. I am so impressed with this light that it quickly became my EDC. I am looking at picking up a current production Quark Tactical. Regarding the burst mode:

I typically use my lights on high for very short periods of time. If I am using the light for longer, I will switch to a lower mode. Therefore, I would be in burst mode for likely 100% of the time the light was being used on high. With this in mind:

1) Would I effectively be cutting my run time on high in half?

2) What does this do to the lifespan of the LED or other circuitry?

Default Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X Burst Mode review

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

1) Would I effectively be cutting my run time on high in half?

2) What does this do to the lifespan of the LED or other circuitry?
    Yes, your cumulative runtime on max will be ~ half the spec, although 47s tends to err on the conservative side with their specs. Don't worry about life span, 47s is also very conservative about over driving their lights - they do stand behind their products, better than most others, after all.
    Last edited by reppans; 11-06-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Yes, your cumulative runtime on max will be ~ half the spec, although 47s tends to err on the conservative side with their specs. Don't worry about life span, 47s is also very conservative about over driving their lights - they do stand behind their products, better than most others, after all.
    Thanks!

quarks were designed to be quite small and lego-able....
    I believe they used Fenix's 2x123 lights as a model and produced a highly competitive light.

Brikghtnorm

Flashaholic*

Thanks for this excellent review. Is it possible to select a mode that runs 410 lumens throughout the runtime without the initial 800 lumens burst? High mode seem to be around 300 lumens - correct?

Quote Originally Posted by JanCPF View Post
    Thanks for this excellent review. Is it possible to select a mode that runs 410 lumens throughout the runtime without the initial 800 lumens burst? High mode seem to be around 300 lumens - correct?
    In practice, you won't see much difference between 300 and 410 lumens, so just use the 300 lumen high setting if you don't want burst.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Etsu View Post
    In practice, you won't see much difference between 300 and 410 lumens, so just use the 300 lumen high setting if you don't want burst.
    Yes I'm aware of that, but I already own the 200 lumen XP-G and there is also not much difference between 200 and 300, but 400 would (for me) justify an upgrade .

Quote Originally Posted by JanCPF View Post
    Yes I'm aware of that, but I already own the 200 lumen XP-G and there is also not much difference between 200 and 300, but 400 would (for me) justify an upgrade .
    The XML will give you a floodier light than the XPG, so getting that version may be worth it anyway. I have both flavors of the Quarks, and my preference is the XML versions. If you really don't want burst, then get an older version without burst, or a 2xAA format. (Though the XML versions still step down a bit after 3.5 minutes, just not as much as the burst mode does.) The 2xAA XM-L2 specs say 280 lumens, but it's a lot higher than that in reality... at least 350 lumens, maybe higher.

Flashaholic*

Rolleye11 Re: Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X Burst Mode review

This light sounds AWESOME! Been thinking of getting one, but not if warm tint isn't offered. Cost me $50 to replace an emitter from a third party for a light. Great job, no complaints, but why no more warm tint from 47s?!?!?!

4sevens says warm tints don't sell well. It's not worth tying up inventory. I guess cool white rules in the mass market.

2x123 Quarks were designed to directly compete with 2x123 Fenix. In fact the heads, bodies and tailcaps of the 2x123 lights are interchangeable between the two brands.

Brightnorm

Flashaholic*

I agree when the 2x123 Quark was designed it probably had the Fenix PD30 as a competitor but that was a long time ago. I think the QT2L would be a lot more popular if it was compatible with 18650s. I can understand the argument of wanting to keep the QT2L legoable with the other Quarks but at the same time I don't see why they could not have two models, one supporting 2xCR123/17650 and another one supporting 2xCR123/18650. Fenix did it for a while offering both the PD30 and PD31 and Eagletac still does it with the D25C2 and D25LC2: I don't see either company being on the verge of bankruptcy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the light, to the contrary I find it has an impressive performance, excellent mode spacing and a highly customizable UI: features very few lights in the same category - if any at all - can boast. I'm just saying that 18650 compatibility would make the light much more appealing.
    Tiforce, thanks for the very insightful review.

Flashaholic

I can certainly see the appeal of 18650 compatibility given the number of people here already using this cell size in other lights as well as the cell's capacity.

Quarks are compatible with KeepPower 16650's, although FourSevens tells me that they believe performance would be poor. I believe some on this forum use these cells in Quarks. 18650 compatibility would require a wider diameter body, which diminishes the size efficiency that was a primary factor in making me a FourSevens fan.