Preon PenLight Quick Impression ( a lot of pics )

njet212

Enlightened
BANNER_zpsf06e67f7.jpg

Spesification
This ultra-sleek and incredibly bright PenLight may resemble a pen but it's actually a flashlight that packs quite a punch with a maximum output of 180 out-the-front lumens. It's the perfect every-day-carry light constructed from aircraft grade aluminum alloy and stainless steel.

• LED: Cree XP-G2
  • Voltage range: 0.9 - 3v
  • Brightness Level: Low 5lm (30hrs) - Medium 50lm (8hrs) - High 180lm (0.4hrs)
  • Dimension: Length 5.3inc - Body diameter 0.5inc - Head diameter 0.5inch
  • Body&Bezel material: Type III HA aircraft grade aluminum
  • Lens material: Hard Tempered Glass with AR coating
  • Optical System: Orange Peel Reflector
  • Included accesorries: 2xAA Alkaline batteries
MSRP: $60
Preon PenLight is provided by Foursevens

Packaging and Content

1_zps2981157c.jpg

2_zpsde4910ea.jpg

Comes in blister packaging, package design is really simple and looks clean. Contents is 1 x PreonLight, 2 pieces of AAA Alkaline, spare o-rings and manual. I really like the included battery, in case you are not flashlaholic your light is always good to go out of package !!​

Design and Build Quality
3_zps44c86561.jpg

5_zps0025e354.jpg

I had Burnt Orange color, the color is not looks orange to me. It's more Orange-Red color. Design is really sleek, beautiful and does not look like a flashlight at all !! There is no aggressive knurling on the body, feels is a bit slippery but better than Preon 2 which has no knurling at all. I felt Preon Pen light is more rugged than my Preon 2 while i had it on my hand !!

4_zps84f027af.jpg

Pocket Clip is nice and strong, compared with my Preon 2. Also the is no side to side movement on pocket clip compared with my Preon 2 which is move side to side all the time and scratched the flashlight body. Good job 4sevens, i think clip on Preon 2 should be redesign this way.

6_zps10a1b303.jpg

There is a notch / hole on the switch, which is nice to prevent slippery when your thumb turning on the flashlight. Also the switch is stiffer than switch on Preon 2, which i prefer this way. The switch on Preon 2 is too soft, sometimes i accidentally skipping the mode.

7_zpsf9ed3cc9.jpg

8_zps79c1ae35.jpg

Body is 3 pieces design, thread is square cut and very smooth compared with thread on Preon 2. Thread also anodized so lock out is possible to prevent turn on flashlight accidentally :thumbsup:

10_zps1f7c4ec3.jpg

11_zps3f3949ef.jpg

9_zpsb940cf03.jpg

The flashlight also feels very good on my hand, it is not too slim or too wide ( the body ). Size and balance is perfect for my taste !! It's uses latest led Cree XP-G2, it's perfectly centered on my sample. It's also use orange peel reflector.​

User Interface, Output and Beam Shot

Switch is reverse switch which means you can't do half press to do momentary on. To turn on the flashlight simply click the switch.

To change the mode you can do turn on then turn off flashlight within less than 1 second or from on position half press the switch ( this way is much more convenient to me ). The mode order is alwayas Low - Medium - High

The flashlight have memory feature, if you turn off flashlight for 2 seconds or more it will memorized the last mode.

IMG_1413_zps516d1654.jpg

IMG_1414_zpsb99d2014.jpg

IMG_1415_zps47cf6a6c.jpg

Beam is very clean but if you are paying attention, there is a slight donut hole on the hotspot. Does not really affecting the beam but i find this a bit annoying !! and i'm sorry i can't capture it with my camera.

IMG_1410_zps84e6fb44.jpg

IMG_1410_zps84e6fb44.jpg

IMG_1407_zps8f3e07ae.jpg

There's beam shot at outdoor. Preon PenLight is producing quite floody, it's perfect for up-close job such as inspecting papers work, fixing sink or PC, illuminate dark path etc. Generally i'm big fan this kind of beam is suit my taste and it's perfect for EDC tasks.

IMG_1417_zps6ef817b8.jpg

IMG_1418_zps4bc31ff6.jpg

There is another beam shot just to give you idea how flood is the beam from Preon Pen Light. You can see at the painting at the wall, the quark mini123 with Cree XPG R5 is produce more hotspot than Preon Light which produce very smooth and flood beam.​

Runtimes

EneloopHigh_zpsc590a359.jpg

AlkalineHigh_zps664f0934.jpg

EneloopMedium_zps83bcc544.jpg

AlkalineMedium_zps190f1c05.jpg

Untitled-1_zps0f07eaed.jpg

Summary

I had Preon 2 light and the are things i don't like at Preon 2 such as moving clip, slippery body and too soft switch has been redefine on Preon Pen Light. Design is sleek and beautiful, does not looks like flashlight at all. The Burnt Orange color also interesting, because not so many flashlight has offer this such color and i found this color is very unique and perfect for EDC.

Clip is strong and does not move side to side. However because lacks of knurling i found the body is little bit slipper but provide much more better grip than my Preon 2. Switch is more stiff than Preon 2 switch which is prefer that way.

Things i don't like on Preon Light is the memory feature. I have a lot of flashlight which is sometimes i can't remember on which mode i used my light is. It would be better if there is no memory feature on Preon Light. But i think Foursevens has their own consideration by implementing this memory mode. For someone who prefer pen light without memory mode, you can get Preon 2 with it's plus and minus.

Lastly $60 MSRP for pen Light is quite expensive compared with similar product ( let's say Olight O'pen cost ~ $40-ish ). I never had a chance to look try Olight O'Pen but they both look's similar because Olight and FourSevens are working together to develop flashlight.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review - it's a great light and one of my favorites. One thing I would change, however, is the MSRP - I think this light is normally $60, but is temporarily on a back-to-school sale for $45.

njet212

Enlightened
Nice review - it's a great light and one of my favorites. One thing I would change, however, is the MSRP - I think this light is normally $60, but is temporarily on a back-to-school sale for $45.

Thanks for the heads up, was not paying attention that the original MSRP is $60 !! I also edited MSRP on my review.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review, njet212! I thoroughly enjoy my Penlight. It's got amazing output and 3 well spaced (and useable) levels. I bought this light (rather than the Preon 2) mainly because it does have the memory function. I like being able to set the light to come on in the mode I know I'm going to need, which often changes depending on my current use.

In any case, I'm glad you're enjoying your new light, and I agree it's a winner.

njet212

Enlightened
Very nice review, njet212! I thoroughly enjoy my Penlight. It's got amazing output and 3 well spaced (and useable) levels. I bought this light (rather than the Preon 2) mainly because it does have the memory function. I like being able to set the light to come on in the mode I know I'm going to need, which often changes depending on my current use.

In any case, I'm glad you're enjoying your new light, and I agree it's a winner.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Good review! It's a nice looking pen light. :)

Thanks everyone, after playing with Preon PenLight for awhile, i felt it has more sturdy anodized and feel more rugged than my preon 2 light !! :)

Keely

Newly Enlightened
The Preon was in the running in my search for a (2)AAA cell penlight, but no momentary switch eliminated it. It does have MAJOR "Christmas Gift" potential, though!

Keels