Test/Review of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA

HKJ

Flashaholic
[SIZE=+3]Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA[/SIZE]

DSC_2832.jpg

Official specifications (The second part of the specification is from datasheet):
  • Last up to 9x longer in digital cameras (versus Energizer® MAX®. results vary by camera.), which means 9x less waste
  • Weigh 1/3 less than standard alkaline batteries
  • Perform in extreme temperatures from -40°F to 140°F
  • Hold power for 15 years when not in use
  • Leak resistant construction
  • Classification: "Cylindrical Lithium"
  • Chemical System: Lithium/Iron Disulfide (Li/FeS2)
  • Designation: ANSI 15-LF, IEC-FR6
  • Nominal Voltage: 1.5 Volts
  • Storage Temp: -40°C to 60°C (-40°F to 140°F)
  • Operating Temp: -40°C to 60°C (-40°F to 140°F)
  • Typical Weight: 14.5 grams (0.5 oz.)
  • Typical Volume: 8.0 cubic centimeters (0.5 cubic inch)
  • Max Discharge: 3.0 Amps Continuous (single battery only) 5.0 Amps Pulse (2 sec on / 8 sec off)
  • Max Rev Current: 2 uA
  • Typical Li Content: Less than 1 gram
  • Typical IR: 90 to 160 milliohms (depending on method)
  • Shelf Life: 15 years at 21°C

Energizer%20Ultimate%20Lithium%20AA-info.png

This battery handles load very well. Notice that the unloaded voltage for lithium batteries is 1.8 volt.

DSC_2830.jpg
DSC_2831.jpg

I am not that impressed with the 11x longer specification, you must compare to some really bad batteries for this to be true.

DSC_2833.jpg
DSC_2834.jpg

DSC_2835.jpg

DSC_2836.jpg

DSC_2837.jpg

Energizer%20Ultimate%20Lithium%20AA-Capacity.png

Up to 1A the capacity is nearly constant and even at 3A it can deliver energy.
The 3A curve starts with a dip, then it raises again, when the battery gets warm.

Energizer%20Ultimate%20Lithium%20AA-CapacityTime.png

Energizer%20Ultimate%20Lithium%20AA-CapacityTimeHours.png

Energizer%20Ultimate%20Lithium%20AA-Energy.png

Due to the higher voltage, it has more energy than alkaline.

[SIZE=+3]Conclusion[/SIZE]

This battery is very impressive at high current, but at low loads it is not much better than alkaline batteries (Except it does not leak). The batteries have a very long storage time and can be used in very cold weather.
These batteries cannot always replace alkaline, some equipment depends on the weak high current ability of alkaline!

[SIZE=+3]Notes and links[/SIZE]

How is the test done and how to read the charts
Comparison of AA battery chemistries

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Nice job!

Can you overlay a representative NiMH cells performance against it?

Also....should that last part read weak low current instead?

:D

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Energizer sell the 'lesser' Advanced Lithium AA in the EU marketplace?
I'd like to see if the results of http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?278063-AA-Ragone-Plot
still apply.
My handy rule of thumb is up to 0.5 watts use the EA91; and 0.5-1.0 watts stick with the EA91 over L91, the cost difference more/less matches the enhanced runtime-unless replacement is critical, like outside in the cold.
1.0-1.5 watts L91. Over 1.5 watts, use NiMH.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'd like to see if the results of http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?278063-AA-Ragone-Plot
still apply.
My handy rule of thumb is up to 0.5 watts use the EA91; and 0.5-1.0 watts stick with the EA91 over L91, the cost difference more/less matches the enhanced runtime-unless replacement is critical, like outside in the cold.
1.0-1.5 watts L91. Over 1.5 watts, use NiMH.

Looking in a couple of Danish web shops, I could not find anything but ultimate lithium.

__philippe

Enlightened
Michael, thanks for bringing up the subject:

Energizer marketing multiple-line of cylindrical Li-ion 1.5V primary cells can be a source of some perplexity among the general public.

The AA Li-ion primary cells reviewed by HKJ are also known in the trade as Energizer Ultimate *L91* AA
(a tiny 'L91' can barely be seen printed sideways on the mid-cell in the fourth battery picture from the top post).

Confusingly, Energizer is also marketing a cheaper range of look-alike cylindrical, lower mAH capacity 1.5V primary Li-ion batteries,
known as Energizer Advanced Lithium.

Summary of current Energizer Li-ion cylindrical 1.5V primary (throw-away) battery line:

Energizer Advanced - EA91 - AA - max discharge 1.5 A continuous
Energizer Advanced - EA92 - AAA - max discharge 1.0 A continuous
Energizer Ultimate - L91 - AA - max discharge 3.0 A continuous (as reviewed here)
Energizer Ultimate - L92 - AAA -max discharge 1.5 A continuous

Mfr Data sheets:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/ea91.PDF
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/ea92.pdf
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l92.pdf

Cheers,

__philippe

PS Finally, to answer your question....:): Yes, 'Advanced' Li-ion AA are all over the place, just search ebay.co.uk for instance.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not a big user of primaries, but decided to get some to keep in my car and at home for emergencies. Would you recommend the Ultimate or Advanced for use in single AA lights? Specifically H51, SC52w.

I was at Meijer yesterday and noticed them on sale, 4-packs for $3.74! I think their regular price was $6.99. Of course, someone cleaned them out. And if you shop at Meijer, you know they have batteries in about 20 different places. I'm going to try another Meijer store after work today.

By the way, this is one of the very few products I can't seem to get cheaper on Amazon vs. locally.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm not a big user of primaries, but decided to get some to keep in my car and at home for emergencies. Would you recommend the Ultimate or Advanced for use in single AA lights? Specifically H51, SC52w.

I have only tested the Ultimate and they look like the ideal primary battery for flashlights (Except for the price). The only disadvantage is that some light may be overdriven with them, I do not know if the H51 and SC52W are among them.
The other solution for good batteries is to get some Eneloop NiMH batteries.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased an 8 pack of these batteries. The shelf life is now up to 20 years.

The 8 pack I purchased last month was 15 years.

My shelf life may be over about the same time as the batteries.
3a5a6umu.jpg

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it is the very optimistic Chinese attitude of marketing products? :crackup:

Like their overly optimistic view of lumens in a cheap light. :D

Be positive Lou Minescence! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Replicant

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if it is the very optimistic Chinese attitude of marketing products? :crackup:

Energizer is an American company, right? The Lithium Ultimates are made in America (and sometime Singapore, I believe). Perhaps they improved upon the technology or were overly conservative in their previous estimates.

I don't see anyone else making comparable lithium primary AA and AAAs, so I don't think Energizer is necessarily doing something similar to a lumens race.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
So these are different than the energizer ultimate lithiums that have "9x" on the package? I was going to stock up on those while they're $16 per 12 pack at same this month, didn't know there was another level of ultimate still. Thanks for theinfo.

They just should have come up with another adjective, instead of ultimate again.

bhds

Enlightened
"Super Ultimate" ?
Seriously, this is good info. I have pretty much transitioned from CR123's to all AA lights and need to pick up a few packs of lithiums for the flashlights I keep in the cars.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

If yuo go back some years where the differences of L91 and EA91s were discussed you will find a military resesearch tidbit that calculated their shelf life at 34 years.
it seems -as per one person commented there- that Energizer was shy on advertised shelf life on the fear that it would not seem believable

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
So these are different than the energizer ultimate lithiums that have "9x" on the package? I was going to stock up on those while they're $16 per 12 pack at same this month, didn't know there was another level of ultimate still. Thanks for theinfo.

They just should have come up with another adjective, instead of ultimate again.

urajegup.jpg

Here is an 8 pack I bought a month ago with the 15 year or 2028 expiration date
u5are3uj.jpg

Here are the 20 year 2033 expiration date batteries.
Not much difference in the 2 packages except the expiration date.
Both batteries say made in USA ST, Louis MO.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If yuo go back some years where the differences of L91 and EA91s were discussed you will find a military resesearch tidbit that calculated their shelf life at 34 years.
it seems -as per one person commented there- that Energizer was shy on advertised shelf life on the fear that it would not seem believable

Energizer is an American company, right? The Lithium Ultimates are made in America (and sometime Singapore, I believe). Perhaps they improved upon the technology or were overly conservative in their previous estimates.

I don't see anyone else making comparable lithium primary AA and AAAs, so I don't think Energizer is necessarily doing something similar to a lumens race.

Guys, I was only joking. I am sure the batteries are good batteries that will last a LONG time.

Michael Aos

Newly Enlightened
I "discovered" the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's after my first year of backpack elk hunting in Colorado. Obviously the weight difference isn't HUGE, but it is definitely noticeable when every ounce counts. The cold-weather performance -vs- alkaline is pronounced. We use them in Garmin Rino 120 GPS's and side-by-side the one with lithium batteries transmit further and last much longer (leads to additional weight savings). We also now use the lithium AA's in headlights and flashlights.