Sunsun "60w" LED bulb review... the rise of the sub $10 market

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
A teardown and review of this bulb at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3e9l5c02g4

Sunsun appears to be a Chinese venture capital funded company... the bulb was less than $10.00 which is an important psychological barrier. This vendor "gets it", much like cree, on the criticality of price in establishing a mass market. Amazon has these bulbs on their website, I don't know if this vendor has any retail presence in stores.

I did not expect the build quality, however, to be very good as the classic way to cheap prices is to skimp on implementation and skip getting think like safety certifications done. In this case the vendor has not resorted to such techniques... the bulb looked pretty credible and a good match for the Cree bulb that I compared it to.

Sunsun bonds many dies onto a single substrate to achieve the lumen rating, it appears to be a cost effective approach.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A teardown and review of this bulb at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3e9l5c02g4

Sunsun appears to be a Chinese venture capital funded company... the bulb was less than $10.00 which is an important psychological barrier. This vendor "gets it", much like cree, on the criticality of price in establishing a mass market. Amazon has these bulbs on their website, I don't know if this vendor has any retail presence in stores.

I did not expect the build quality, however, to be very good as the classic way to cheap prices is to skimp on implementation and skip getting think like safety certifications done. In this case the vendor has not resorted to such techniques... the bulb looked pretty credible and a good match for the Cree bulb that I compared it to.

Sunsun bonds many dies onto a single substrate to achieve the lumen rating, it appears to be a cost effective approach.
An informative review as always.

On your polar plot, you appear to only account for 180 degrees of the sphere, which a forward-firing bulb will clearly look better on than a side-firing one, which will deposit roughly half of its light "off the plot".

Qship1996

Enlightened
Yes,I would also like to see the lower plot,as I use LED bulbs in outdoor fixtures base down,and the illumination from horizontal downward is way more important in this type usage{think wall mounted fixtures near porches and on the sides of garage doors}

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nicely done review. Thorough and to the point. It looks like CREE has some competition, however, it seems to me that CREE's more omnidirectional bulbs do a better job of mimicking a traditional tungsten bulb, which was one of my reasons for purchasing them (as well as the $10 price point).

In any case, I'll look forward to more of your reviews.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
These 10 dollar LED bulbs have limited usefulness, in my opinion. The light output is just a bit too low to replace incandescent lamps in most rooms, and they are still rather directional, so do not really work well behind lamp shades.

One situation where they do make sense however is in recessed ceiling fixtures. I have seen business owners (usually asian :eek:) screwing regular CFLs into their ceilings because they are too cheap to buy the PAR shaped lamps for which these fixtures were intended. Not only does this look terrible, but much of the light is wasted in the recessed fixture. Also, due to my skin sensitivity, I cannot go to these restaurants. (I have found that it is not nearly as bad if they at least bothered to use CFL PAR lamps, the extra layer of surrounding glass apparently helps block more of the UV radiation from the inner spiral tube). A 10 dollar LED is not really much more expensive than a CFL PAR lamp. You do not have to buy an LED PAR bulb, most of the regular LED bulbs are fairly directional as they are. Even with the opaque plastic semi-circle, I find that most of the light from the flat-mounted LED chips inside goes straight through, without really being diffused much in a different direction.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
These 10 dollar LED bulbs have limited usefulness, in my opinion. The light output is just a bit too low to replace incandescent lamps in most rooms, and they are still rather directional, so do not really work well behind lamp shades.
For a guy that likes to talk and talk and talk about lighting, you're missing some really obvious applications for multiple 60W (or smaller) bulbs.

3x 60W equivalent LED from Philips are actually a little too bright in the small guest bedroom in my house, and the 3x Cree 60W equivalent bulbs are doing a fine job in my office.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
These 10 dollar LED bulbs have limited usefulness, in my opinion. The light output is just a bit too low to replace incandescent lamps in most rooms.
What wattage incandescent bulbs are you using? 100W? 150W? 250W?
When the 1st review of a $10 light bulb was posted, the bulb was 430 lumens (about equivalent to a 40W incandescent).
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?313596-Finally!-A-decent-LED-bulb-for-10-(review)
The bulb in this thread is listed at 800 lumens, almost double the brightness of the earlier $10 bulb. (Equivalent to a 60W incandescent).
My 1st Philips LED bulb was 7.5W, 155 lumens. My last one was 4W 320 lumens. Double the brightness at half the wattage. Don't let older experiences with LED bulbs colour your judgement of current LED bulbs.

they are still rather directional, so do not really work well behind lamp shades.
The OP has another video which he compares 4 60W equivalent LED bulbs and the standard 60W incandescent. in a directional desk lamp the 10.5W Philips is 2.5X brighter than the incandescent. In a table lamp the other 3 work just as good as an incandescent. Or they are no longer directional.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1DuVDD8Nmc
Cree.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356710-Cree-A19-9-5w-60w-800lm-2700K-for-13-97
Philips #2 (price).
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?364103-Interesting-photo-of-LED-bulbs-from-HD

One situation where they do make sense however is in recessed ceiling fixtures.
Actually not. Most ceiling fixtures have closed tops trapping heat. And heat kills the capacitors of LED bulbs.
The only LED ceiling 'bulbs' (actually fixtures themselves) I recommend are the Cree CR6/CR4 and Lighting Science Glimpse where the heat sink is in the room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UKP_lvzY3A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKV0prWPIco

I have seen business owners (usually asian :eek:) screwing regular CFLs into their ceilings because they are too cheap to ...
Stop discriminating against asians. A bigger percentage of them make it through university and usually in the STEM fields too.
I have also seen a lot of WASPs (white anglo saxon protestants) put CFLs in ceiling fixtures. The government in Ontario wanted to shut down coal fired plants for environmental reasons. So they have been persuading everyone to replace incandescent with CFLs.
The local A&W actually use G30 vanity incandescent bulbs in the lamps that drop down from the ceiling. For a 24/7 place I wonder what their electrical bill is.

Last edited:

skyled

Newly Enlightened
Anders Hoveland, it's appalling you would even make such a comment in public forum like that. As everyone else has said on this board, keep it to yourself.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Electronupdate,

Thank you for the detailed, informative review.

I have a small stockpile of incandescent bulbs, so I have not yet made the switch to LED fixed lighting. However, I have been watching this subforum in general, and reviews such as yours in particular, to decide when, and with which replacement bulbs, to make the switch to LED.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
the bulb was less than $10.00 which is an important psychological barrier. This vendor "gets it", much like cree, on the criticality of price in establishing a mass market. Amazon has these bulbs on their website, I don't know if this vendor has any retail presence in stores.

The price of the 60W bulb just went up $3 to $12.99 at Amazon.

I tried the 40W equivalent. Don't like the color/tint, light distribution pattern, nor the heat it creates vs. the Cree. This bulb just went up $2 to $7.99.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
EarthLED still got them listed at $9.88 and $5.88.

After taking shipping into account, it is cheaper for me to get the Philips 10.5W locally. Or even the 12.5W alien head. Depending on the beam pattern I need.