DRIS 1000 upgrade, new driver and 2x 18650

ti325v

Newly Enlightened
For those of you familiar with the DRIS 1000 dive light I have some interesting news.
I got in touch with the manufacturer...Brinyte.
DRIS and Brinyte use 3 c cell to drive an xml -u2.

Way under driven....long burn time, six or so hours hours but a disappointment.

I spoke with saleswoman Danni and asked her if she could make a test product for me..
The same light using 2x 18650 li-ion.
Well now....

This is an azz kicking dive light easily stronger then an sst 50.

Not an sst 90, but give a customer a well driven xml-u2 and they think you gave them a $400 light.

Cost was under $50 per unit with legit 3000 ma 18650`s direct from Brinyte at reasonable cost. 1.75 hour burn time, light dims for 10 minutes then out.
We are working on a 2x26650, juist for fun...expect 2.5 hours or more burn time.

I have a dive shop and been through a bunch of the Chinese manufacturers...MAGICSHINE the absolute worst...$3000 in lights failed in a year and no resolution from the Shenzen Ambitech., other then send them back, I offered to BUY the drop ins, as I would have to pay close to $1000 on taxes to re import the lights... Stay away from Magic shine, and NEVER BUY FROM SHENZEN AMBITECH. Idiots...Lights leaked, drivers failed, twisty switches all locked up after 30 to 50 dives.
The dris light is a proven design, and I am very happy with it.
I will be buying 100 more to give as gifts to customers and can easily sell them here for over $120, and worth it...simple, no multimode stuff to confuse the divers, triple o rings.

Do a group buy from Dannie at Brinyte ! I think the minimum is 10 pieces. They take paypal and it was painless and fast !
No I have no commercial interest in this company, I just want to share my exceptional experience with this manufacturer and hope to send further business their way.

tharg

Newly Enlightened
For those of you familiar with the DRIS 1000 dive light I have some interesting news.
I got in touch with the manufacturer...Brinyte.
DRIS and Brinyte use 3 c cell to drive an xml -u2.

Way under driven....long burn time, six or so hours hours but a disappointment.

I spoke with saleswoman Danni and asked her if she could make a test product for me..
The same light using 2x 18650 li-ion.
Well now....

This is an azz kicking dive light easily stronger then an sst 50.

Not an sst 90, but give a customer a well driven xml-u2 and they think you gave them a $400 light.

Cost was under $50 per unit with legit 3000 ma 18650`s direct from Brinyte at reasonable cost. 1.75 hour burn time, light dims for 10 minutes then out.
We are working on a 2x26650, juist for fun...expect 2.5 hours or more burn time.

I have a dive shop and been through a bunch of the Chinese manufacturers...MAGICSHINE the absolute worst...$3000 in lights failed in a year and no resolution from the Shenzen Ambitech., other then send them back, I offered to BUY the drop ins, as I would have to pay close to $1000 on taxes to re import the lights... Stay away from Magic shine, and NEVER BUY FROM SHENZEN AMBITECH. Idiots...Lights leaked, drivers failed, twisty switches all locked up after 30 to 50 dives.
The dris light is a proven design, and I am very happy with it.
I will be buying 100 more to give as gifts to customers and can easily sell them here for over $120, and worth it...simple, no multimode stuff to confuse the divers, triple o rings.

Do a group buy from Dannie at Brinyte ! I think the minimum is 10 pieces. They take paypal and it was painless and fast !
No I have no commercial interest in this company, I just want to share my exceptional experience with this manufacturer and hope to send further business their way.

i have a 1k shorty version works great but the burn time not so great ..thinking about making a canister light out of it with maybe a fresnal lens

ti325v

Newly Enlightened
Hi..
I have suggested to Danni to redo the shorty with a 26650, 36650 or 3 x 14650....
Depends on the driver they can develop.
Or simply back it off to a xp-g LED and up the run time.
I have shorties and they are great back up lights...and would be much better with improved burn time OR brightness...They are very receptive, and we will see what we can come up with.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree its a great design.

The only down side is that the pill is mounted on a threaded plastic ring that threads into the head.This results in poor heat transfer. Its not an issue for a XRE or maybe XPG but not great for a XML at 3 amps.

This is needed to isolate the pill from the body. Other wise you get it turning on when immersed in salt water and or galvanic corrosion.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have modified a few of these.

XR-E with Ahorton aspheric, XML with Ahorton Aspheric. Both with 18650's. Most of the lights already had 4-18v drivers. The only mod for 18650's was to solder a spring on the back of the driver or drop in a short metal rod as 2x 18650's are about 15mm shorter than 3 AA's

26650's would not fit and the body would require a bore. Be great if they offered a factor one that took 26650's

MRTdiver

Newly Enlightened
I have a dive shop and been through a bunch of the Chinese manufacturers...MAGICSHINE the absolute worst...$3000 in lights failed in a year and no resolution from the Shenzen Ambitech.

I have not seen or tried one but I have seen the magicshine light and its crap.
I noticed this Packhorse quote in a thread you posted.

Hi..
I have suggested to Danni to redo the shorty with a 26650, 36650 or 3 x 14650....
Depends on the driver they can develop.
Or simply back it off to a xp-g LED and up the run time.
I have shorties and they are great back up lights...and would be much better with improved burn time OR brightness...They are very receptive, and we will see what we can come up with.

That's a great suggestion... to have the 1K shorty run on a 26650 or 32650 battery. Since they have great capacity. We should also ask Brinyte for the second generation Cree LEDs - XM-L2 and XP-G2.
smile.gif

As it stands now the shorty has a 2.8-4.5V working voltage. And they said a 25500 will work.

Last edited:

ti325v

Newly Enlightened
Hello Packhorse:
I am interested in what you have to say for further developments. You seem to be quite the expert and well respected here on the forums.
Danni has been very receptive to suggestions and at less then $50 a piece including 3000 ma batteries..I tested them at 2875 or so...

I have brought ten to test before I shell out for 50 or more and heat transfer was a big concern.
So far we have had no galvanic issues..in fact only one of dozens of Chinese dive lights I have had shown this problem.

What exactly would you suggest they do to make further improvements ?
A direct connection from the positive battery side to the pill eliminating electrical transfer through the housing ?
Change the plastic ring to metal ?

I am sure they will do as I request. If you have any ideas on how to improve the design and we can mass produce a great dive light for the masses at reasonable cost I am all for it.
I have never had any issues with them turning on or off in salt water. I can see the problem with the design though.