Klarus        
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1619202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC32d // SC62d

Flashaholic

Default Re: Zebralight SC32d // SC62d

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I do not have a cool white SC62, but I do have a similar output SC62w (and SC62d to compare the SC62w to).
    The SC62d is around 600 lumens less than the SC62w, which sounds like a lot. However, in real-world use based on the way our eyes really see differences in brightness, it turns put to not be as significant as you would think. Comparing the 2 lights side by side, I would say that the SC62w perceptually is only about 50% brighter than the SC62d, giving you maybe 150 yards of effective light vs. the SC62d's 100 yard range.
    I own a pair of each light, and to be honest with you the SC62w lights hardly get any use recently. Dust gathering seems to be their main function in my collection, I just like using the SC62d's that much more! Beautiful high-CRI tint and nice beam, lots of output modes to choose from, excellent runtime, light weight and small... what's not to love? Great lights.
    Thanks for your opinion - I would be second guessing my thoughts regarding the SC62d if I just read the other two replies. I do like very bright, small lights. As I already own the ZL SC600 MKII Cool White, I am hoping that I will be content with the high-CRI tint but lower output of the SC62d versus the SC62w.
    John 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned-L View Post
    Thanks for your opinion - I would be second guessing my thoughts regarding the SC62d if I just read the other two replies. I do like very bright, small lights. As I already own the ZL SC600 MKII Cool White, I am hoping that I will be content with the high-CRI tint but lower output of the SC62d versus the SC62w.
    Keep in mind that a lot of this is subjective, and varies from person to person. A lot of it depends on your intended use for the light too. When I first got into lights, all that I cared about was brightness - after all, that's the most noticeable thing about a light when you first turn it on. Later, I started noticing and caring about things like runtime, tint, beam shape, artifacts, and eventually CRI. Now, if a light doesn't do well in almost all of these areas, I'm just not interested.

My main uses for the SC62 lights are around the camp, short walks in the neighborhood, and occasional around the house and basement (although I typically prefer a headlamp for that). For these uses, I find myself using the Medium settings the most, around maybe 50 to 100 lumens. High CRI is more important to me for overall joy of using the light than brightness is, so for me the SC62d is the clear winner FOR MY INTENDED USAGE. For situations where I need outright blazing brightness, I don't reach for a SCxx class light anyway, I'll grab either a thrower like the S200C2 or a monster flooder like the MX25L3C. It all depends on what you want to use the light for, and what is most important to you personally. If you're looking for a single "multi-purpose" light that will TRY to fill all roles while still being compact snd lightweight, the SC62w might fit your meeds better than the SC62d.

Hope this helps.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Keep in mind that a lot of this is subjective, and varies from person to person. A lot of it depends on your intended use for the light too. When I first got into lights, all that I cared about was brightness - after all, that's the most noticeable thing about a light when you first turn it on. Later, I started noticing and caring about things like runtime, tint, beam shape, artifacts, and eventually CRI. Now, if a light doesn't do well in almost all of these areas, I'm just not interested.

My main uses for the SC62 lights are around the camp, short walks in the neighborhood, and occasional around the house and basement (although I typically prefer a headlamp for that). For these uses, I find myself using the Medium settings the most, around maybe 50 to 100 lumens. High CRI is more important to me for overall joy of using the light than brightness is, so for me the SC62d is the clear winner FOR MY INTENDED USAGE. For situations where I need outright blazing brightness, I don't reach for a SCxx class light anyway, I'll grab either a thrower like the S200C2 or a monster flooder like the MX25L3C. It all depends on what you want to use the light for, and what is most important to you personally. If you're looking for a single "multi-purpose" light that will TRY to fill all roles while still being compact snd lightweight, the SC62w might fit your meeds better than the SC62d.

Hope this helps.
    Amelia,

I think you are right on. I use my flashlights mostly for around the house at night, when I go running on the street in the neighborhood at dusk/dark, and for camping. I rarely "need" blazing brightness. I ordered the SC62d.
    Thanks, Ned
    John 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Which small 1x18650 light do you carry?
    My current EDC is a DQG 18650 Tiny III. It's a sideclicky flashlight smaller (narrower and shorter) than an SC62, and much grippier due to very nice knurling. Mine's 88mm long with a Samsung 25R installed. Biggest disadvantages of the stock DQG18650 is bad UI lacking shortcut to turbo, relatively low output, slightly greenish tint, and protruding metal switch button prone to accidental pocket activation.

I heavily modded mine:
    1. Replaced stock driver with 3.8 amp Nanjg 105c with DrJones Mokkadrv e-switch firmware (I love this UI... better than Zebralight in my opinion).
    2. Replaced stock XML2 emitter with triple high-intensity XPL on direct copper (2x4000k and 1x5000k)
    3. Added coppper heatsink for star to rest on.
    4. Replaced stock optic with Carclo 10507 triple TIR.
    5. Replaced switch with different more responsive momentary pushbutton.
    6. Added modified #6 finishing washer around the button to convert protruding button into a recessed one. Haven't had any accidental activations since doing this.

Beam is quite pretty. Fairly floody, but still with some throw. It's substantially brighter than my SC62w on turbo. I estimate maybe 1300-1500 lumens out-the-front. I'm hoping to eventually change the driver to a FET driver with a very short turbo timer (maybe 10-15 seconds) and a steep turbo reduction to maybe 25-30%. Either that or wait for Richard at Mountain Electronics to finish designing his temp-sensor driver. Idea would be 3000+ lumens for the first 10-15 seconds then rapid rampdown to maybe 1200 lumens.

Other small 18650 I've carried:
    Aleto N8 zoomie. This is the smallest 18650 zoomie on the market.

I heavily modded mine to make it even smaller:
    1. Replaced stock driver with 3.8 amp Nanjg 105c with DrJones Mokkadrv e-switch firmware
    2. Added external side electronic switch.
    3. reduced body and head length. Removed tailcap switch.
    4. Added copper heatsink
    5. Swapped stock XML to a 5000K high-intensity XPL.
    6. Replaced stock 18mm aspheric lens with 20mm fresnel lens.
    7. Added rubber grip over the battery tube.
    8. Stripped off ugly gold anodizing and replaced with with grey Duracoat.

Result is probably the smallest 18650 zoomie in the world. Entire length is 91mm, smaller and narrower than a Sipik 68. With the current fresnel throw isn't great... maybe 16k lux. I have an alternate bezel with 20mm aspheric I could swap in. Doing so increases the overall length of the light by 4mm but would increase max throw to maybe 30k lux.

I like modding my lights. I also like it that both of the above lights are utterly unique. I haven't heard of anyone else successfully modding either one.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 06-19-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Amelia,

I think you are right on. I use my flashlights mostly for around the house at night, when I go running on the street in the neighborhood at dusk/dark, and for camping. I rarely "need" blazing brightness. I ordered the SC62d.
    Thanks, Ned
    Why not get the sc62? it is the same price and you get the 1000 lumen setting as a bonus. And you still have the med outputs you want.

Ned already ordered the 62d. Some people prefer the more natural cast of the Luxeon T. Being a Cree, I imagine both the 62 and 62w have more green and in the case of the 62w, significant yellow that the 62d does not. I have yet to see what members think of the actual difference of brightness between the d and the w after the lights have been on for a few minutes or more. I am (once again) guessing the PID will take the w down quite a bit because of the heat generated in such a lightweight torch. And unless you have a need, like theDoc007, to carry only one light, and the added brightness of the w really does the job better, and the d is unable to get that extra distance and/or brightness, then some of us much prefer the non-distracting tint of the the SC62d.

I have had both and the d is a nice tint but my 62 "cool" is not that bad, I guess I lucked out on the tint lottery but I cant afford to have both.....unless someone wants to donate a 62d they don't want.

Default Zebralight SC32d // SC62d

I own an SC62d and an SC600w MKII L2. In the smaller package, I prefer the cooler running SC62d and the stupid proof, 3 hour "no matter what" runtime. Mine is a beater and I feel comfortable loaning it out, knowing they won't call me in 30 minutes asking why it died. Tint is lovely and I'll leave the high lumens for lights with more mass. YMMV.

Just want to give a big Thank You to brightguy.com for selling me one of the last ZebraLight SC62d available to purchase new. My second one from them and plan on keeping it unused for the future. My other two get rotated and operated regularly, day and night. I'm glad members are enjoying the newest ZebraLight models, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Just want to give a big Thank You to brightguy.com for selling me one of the last ZebraLight SC62d available to purchase new. My second one from them and plan on keeping it unused for the future. My other two get rotated and operated regularly, day and night. I'm glad members are enjoying the newest ZebraLight models, though.
    Or get a new one on ebay for the LOW LOW PRICE OF ONLY $105!! ACT NOW!

Crazy ebay people
    GOOD TINT!

so... in the time of 1000lmns for a single 18650 battery, is the SC62d still a good purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by jondextan View Post
    so... in the time of 1000lmns for a single 18650 battery, is the SC62d still a good purchase?
    Check out how people feel about standard Malkoff dropins, or HDS flashlights. Those highly respected photonmakers are not pedal-to-the-metal units by any means. I do not like to let my lights get really hot when about the house or using a light outdoors where I am distracted by something (like a new puppy). The tint is really non-distracting. We walked as dawn arrived this morning, and as the sunlight became more prominent, the light from the 62d was very, very compatible with the emerging day. The User Interface is second nature to me because of nightly and sometimes day use. I have it on a headstrap, side mounted. I can use virtually any kind of hat, as well as hold a thrower and a dog leash when necessary. When the puppy gets older, I'll go back to an Oveready Wasp for area lighting in the field, but at home and doing projects, it is the 62d. No fuss, no burning mAh (battery juice) making excess heat.

Still a good purchase? Can you find one for sale?

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

I have a few new Zebra's and am very pleased with them but I still love my 62d and doubt I would ever part with it. Kind of like my Surefire Satin Gray E2e's(ok, I did upgrade to a Steve Ku Led), but the way it fits my hand and the dependability factor are second to none. The hi CRI 62d is just an awesome tool that does its job very well. Love it!

I've got a 62d that had the emmitter swapped to a 62c(warmer), then the lense to a frosty. I just love this light . The small led with the frosty lens is perfect. I'm sure I'll get a 63 or two, but this light is hard to beat and it looks like I've been using it for 10 years. Zebralight makes s product that you can grow attached to.

Very very tempted over the 320lm sc62d, the hi cri appeals and as crazy as it sounds...................320lm high! I dont need a zillion lumens(yes its fun still), so for a 1 click 300lm for 3hrs=spot on. I can easily live with 200lm hi cri rotary(tell the truth its rare its anywhere near the 200lm on the dial). Uses are close up(within 20ft generally). My sportacs mainly get used on 20%.............heck i am a lumen frugal junkie(wont do sub lumen though). I am more for quality type beam, CT/tint for EDC/work applications.
    Flood bias over defined hot spot again to suit close up uses. The sc600fd is a must for me, xhp50 frosted lens but flashaholics dont have stock(prob back down and order direct at some point). So do many have the sc62d? Are/have you been happy with it? ............

Cheers

Flashaholic

The SC 62 cw is the finest light that I own! I prefer a cw for crisp, clear, well defined resolution both indoors and especially outdoors, mainly for self defense and lighting up my property. The 62 is small, powerful and bright! I could not ask for anything more from a hand held light to illuminate the surroundings.

Flashaholic*

I like my SC62d very much and it's bright enough.
    Have the sc600 MKIII HI also and they are very similar in beam profile.

They are nice (had a sc62d). I recommend you use DC fix for a more floody beam though.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Yes, your DC fix is still going strong on the pocket rocket Mike, love that stuff. It is my around the house go to light still(can not see that ever changing ). The driver is set to a simple 1 mode, click on and i estimate 150 ish lumens(could be 100, could be 200 that means . But its just a perfect 218b 4000k bit of flood.....................nothing to me is any more useful for general use.

Thanks again

Ordered! Worked out at £69 with cpf discount and free 24hr post from flashaholics.

Should be a perfect work light(any excuse as i seem to mention it a lot!...........who cares). 320lm ish of hi cri will work well around 5000k, being a little throwy should be fine as i have a 219b mule and 219b triple for floody type uses. Sometimes its just handy to focus some light on a subject without lighting up too much area............this should fit the bill well. I have also been using my m20vn, single mode of maybe 400lm(guess) of 219b goodness. So this is no dedicated thrower, but still has a defined hot spot/spill. Being around 400lm (+ or - 100 as its my eyes measuring), its not painful close up(within 10ft say).

You guys have me hooked......................i love ZL . Hard to explain really, but that 1st time a HDS goes in your hand and you just feel a special light. You know its just right..............ZL gives me the same kind of feeling. Underneath its dark green ano, feels like a more personal/custom type light away from Fenix/Nitecore/olight types. It just has a kind of special feel to it, only certain lights can give(do i make sense, does anyone kind of relate). The haiku again is another kind of light that.................

Pics and impressions to follow later on Tuesday if all goes to plan. What have you guys down to me

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Ordered! Worked out at £69 with cpf discount and free 24hr post from flashaholics.

Should be a perfect work light(any excuse as i seem to mention it a lot!...........who cares). 320lm ish of hi cri will work well around 5000k, being a little throwy should be fine as i have a 219b mule and 219b triple for floody type uses. Sometimes its just handy to focus some light on a subject without lighting up too much area............this should fit the bill well. I have also been using my m20vn, single mode of maybe 400lm(guess) of 219b goodness. So this is no dedicated thrower, but still has a defined hot spot/spill. Being around 400lm (+ or - 100 as its my eyes measuring), its not painful close up(within 10ft say).

You guys have me hooked......................i love ZL . Hard to explain really, but that 1st time a HDS goes in your hand and you just feel a special light. You know its just right..............ZL gives me the same kind of feeling. Underneath its dark green ano, feels like a more personal/custom type light away from Fenix/Nitecore/olight types. It just has a kind of special feel to it, only certain lights can give(do i make sense, does anyone kind of relate). The haiku again is another kind of light that.................

Pics and impressions to follow later on Tuesday if all goes to plan. What have you guys down to me
    I agree with you about the feel of a Zebralight. I just received my convoy S2 + with 18650 and 18350 tubes from Randy over at PflexPro. He built a custom light for me.

Nichia 219c (single)
    Advanced driver (dr jones)
    Orange peel reflector
    Forward clicky
    Color is flat black

I know it doesn't sound all that great but the driver is potted, the switch is bypassed with a copper tip soldered to the spring. Not sure what the pill looks like but seems like it's stock convoy that's been potted. Really nice lite and love the beam profile, similar to my ZL MK III HI. Combination spill and spot as the reflector is shallow. The tint is just perfect.

Having the option to swap between 18650 and 18350 is really nice for EDC. Having the option to hit 1300 lumens is also really nice.

The s2+ is a great host, lots of great options for the compact light. Sounds very nice! Cant go wrong with a PlexPro bit of kit.
    Top right are 3 triples

Have the 18350 tubes to, does make for a compact power house. As much as i like it, i prefer the 18650 form and for the extra in the tank. I can just eat through an 18350 too fast!

Where did you get the black clip?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraman502 View Post
    Where did you get the black clip?

The s2+ clips are just heat treated, iirc simon sells them at aliexpress(mtn elec may also have them)

Sounds like Ven ordered a Zebralight SC62d. Is this true? I mean this is the SC62d thread. I got the last one that brightguys had. It is stored safely and my early pair of 62d's are alternated: used nightly and some days as well. For close up tasks the Nitecore TIP CRI has more of a flood but the general purpose beam configuration of the ZL is just so, all-round handy.

Never had an HDS because I have these.
    38 grams without a battery if I remember.
    Once learned, the ZL user-interface is efficient and effective.
    The anodizing has held up very well, though I treat it with reasonable care.
    Been used in numerous dirty environments but never immersed in fluid before.
    White-Wall folks can find fault but actual use is very satisfying and non-distracting.
    Perhaps being a (fairly) early adopter of the superb Spyderco folders, the distinct look of the SC series of ZL's is as pleasing as the look of the thumb-hole knives.
    The 62d is a balanced blend of power and runtime.

For extended nocturnal exploration, a PFlexPRO quad Nichia 219c 5000K P60 in a solid copper module and advance program, paired with an Eagtac M30 LC2 XP-L Hi compatible color temperature (a bit warmer) works for this member.

But for general use? The Zebralight SC62d has filled that role for some years now.

Hi there Kitrobaskin, yes ordered and should get around Tuesday. Thanks for the feedback/info..............appreciate it. Cant wait, looks pretty much perfect for my application in mind. You have just confirmed it!

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post

I came across a reddit thread describing ZL lights as more of a "gentleman's light". I completely agree. Hank Wang knows his stuff, but the D4 still doesn't feel "just right" for me. I wonder what gives? Maybe an upcoming vn flavour would change that.

Now that you are on the ZL wagon, I bet you're gonna join the pre-order troop for the upcoming MK4 light

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    I came across a reddit thread describing ZL lights as more of a "gentleman's light". I completely agree. Hank Wang knows his stuff, but the D4 still doesn't feel "just right" for me. I wonder what gives? Maybe an upcoming vn flavour would change that.

Now that you are on the ZL wagon, I bet you're gonna join the pre-order troop for the upcoming MK4 light

I think ZL for me fits in between manufactured lights and custom lights, maybe how HDS kind of sits..............kind of! The D4 is a chunk compared to ZL, although length is similar, it has some beef to it. This imo is needed for the crazy output, more WOW than maybe dedicated EDC. Hank has put the best components in the D4's(call it well tuned), unlike the e14/s42 which have been made cheaply inside(from what i have read anyway).

Both types of lights work well for me in a collection, many similarities yet ..........well quite different to. I am not sure what vinh could do, other than your exact choice of LED over the options available. Quite a few of the skilled guys over at BLF have already modded(swapped boards for Richards and swapped LED's to a more personal tuned light).

I am very happy with the 219c, a 219c 4000k would be cool(219b 4000k also, but not sure how it would go as the LED's can not be pushed as much as the 219c iirc).

For comfort take the ZL, for fun take the D4.............feeling crazy then take both out

Will see re- the mk4 TCY, will defo keep a watch on reports/specs..................I have a lot of catching up to do as it is, never mind new lights to come out

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Sounds like Ven ordered a Zebralight SC62d. Is this true? I mean this is the SC62d thread. I got the last one that brightguys had. It is stored safely and my early pair of 62d's are alternated: used nightly and some days as well. For close up tasks the Nitecore TIP CRI has more of a flood but the general purpose beam configuration of the ZL is just so, all-round handy.

Never had an HDS because I have these.
    38 grams without a battery if I remember.
    Once learned, the ZL user-interface is efficient and effective.
    The anodizing has held up very well, though I treat it with reasonable care.
    Been used in numerous dirty environments but never immersed in fluid before.
    White-Wall folks can find fault but actual use is very satisfying and non-distracting.
    Perhaps being a (fairly) early adopter of the superb Spyderco folders, the distinct look of the SC series of ZL's is as pleasing as the look of the thumb-hole knives.
    The 62d is a balanced blend of power and runtime.

For extended nocturnal exploration, a PFlexPRO quad Nichia 219c 5000K P60 in a solid copper module and advance program, paired with an Eagtac M30 LC2 XP-L Hi compatible color temperature (a bit warmer) works for this member.

But for general use? The Zebralight SC62d has filled that role for some years now.
    I didn't know PflexPro made p60 quads. Did you special order?

Neither did I.................quad 219c Mr baskin has some very nice fine tuned equipment, if he owns it ...............its got to be good!

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1619202122232425262728 LastLast