Klarus XT11 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2x CR123a) short review

kj2

Flashaholic
- For submission in the review-section -

Klarus has updated their XT11. The XT11 now features a XM-L2 led and gives max 820 lumens.

b7l6wz.jpg
10omcqu.jpg

Specifications gives by Klarus:

1. CREE XM-L2 LED with a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours
2. 3 lighting modes and 1 flashing mode
3. Working Voltage: 3.5V-8.4V
4. Battery: 2x CR123A / 1x 18650 (Do not use 16340 batteries or any other battery over than 3.0V)
5. Body color: Military grey
6. Reflector: Textured orange peel reflector
7. Dimensions: 149mm (Length) x 35mm (Head) x 25.4mm (Body)
8. Net weight: 132g (Excluding battery)
9. Material: Aircraft grade aluminum
10. Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard (underwater to 2 meters)
11. Lens: Toughened ultra-clear glass
12. Included accessories: holster, lanyard, body clip, tactical ring and two spare o-rings

vxf985.jpg

The Klarus XT11 is a easy to operate light. The switches are located at the back of the light, what makes one hand operation easy.
The on/off button is slightly higher than the mode-button. As a personal-defense light this is great. You can't miss the button when you
handle the light. The XT11 will always turn on in the high-mode. When turned on, the light steps from high to medium to low.
Press and hold the mode-button for 1 second, when the light is on, and you will enter the strobe-mode.
You also have direct access to strobe from off. Just press and hold the mode-button. Momentary(strobe) will also work. (hold the mode-switch for less than 5 seconds)

Right in line with the mode-button, there is a flat-surface on the tail-cap. This helps with finding the mode-switch in the dark.
The surface is minimal, but I find it enough to located the mode-switch.

5n6mqb.jpg

2qci68p.jpg
346unnt.jpg

maf7f9.jpg
30xey4z.jpg

The XT11 has a textured orange peel reflector. This helps with giving it a smooth beam. It isn't a thrower but still lights-up objects 100 meters away.
My sample has a nice white (little bit blue-ish) tint. The light feel good in hand, and you have enough grip when using the light with gloves.
One down-side is, that the tactical-ring isn't threaded. Because of that the ring spins freely, around the battery-tube. I hope Klarus will thread their tactical-rings in the future.
The coating on the light is of great quality. The text, which is lasered, is clear white.

bdo4mf.jpg
15fkkkw.jpg

vctgzt.jpg
11cdt9c.jpg

Bottom-line, the Klarus XT11 is a great (personal-defense)light. And now with the XM-L2 update, you have even more light :D

Last edited:

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
Thanks or the review, looks as good as before, and I agree about the Tac ring spinning around , but it might be so the lanyard doesn't get caught up.

Cybernetic

Newly Enlightened
Hello kj2, I don't understand why klarus not thread in their tactical ring. In my opinion they must be thread. :confused:

Last edited:

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened
I put the spare O ring under the tac ring cigar holder and now its perfect doesn't spin unless i force it tightens it up real nice, i like it that way i did not like the spinning much more solid feeling now i was scared i might accidentally drop it when it was free spinning.

Last edited:

Cybernetic

Newly Enlightened
I put a spare O ring around the tac ring cigar holder and now its perfect doesn't spin unless i force it tightens it up real nice, i like it that way i did not like the spinning much more solid feeling now i was scared i might accidentally drop it when it was free spinning.

That's a good idea. :)

silverspurr

Newly Enlightened
Manhattan a.k.a. N.Y.C. a.k.a. The Big Apple
I am confused about the "non threaded tactical ring".... are you referring to the 'anti roll ring'... or the 'tactical bezel'?
I have a 600 LM XT11 and was considering upgrading to the 820 LM.... however, I have the optional more 'aggressive tactical bezel' on the front of my 60 LM XT11, it 'screws' on, if as you say the newer model has no threads (just spins around), then I can not switch bezels.
Which is why I'm asking, are you referring to the "front bezel" or the "anti roll ring" a.k.a. "Cigar ring"??

Thank you very much for the review.

KlarusXT11_zpscb232433.jpg

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
I am confused about the "non threaded tactical ring".... are you referring to the 'anti roll ring'... or the 'tactical bezel'?
I have a 600 LM XT11 and was considering upgrading to the 820 LM.... however, I have the optional more 'aggressive tactical bezel' on the front of my 60 LM XT11, it 'screws' on, if as you say the newer model has no threads (just spins around), then I can not switch bezels.
Which is why I'm asking, are you referring to the "front bezel" or the "anti roll ring" a.k.a. "Cigar ring"??

Thank you very much for the review.
I mean the Tactical-ring (which also helps with anti-roll), and not the bezel. The only thing they updated is the led and lumen-output.

C&R

Newly Enlightened
"One down-side is, that the tactical-ring isn't threaded. Because of that the ring spins freely, around the battery-tube. I hope Klarus will thread their tactical-rings in the future."

I ordered one of these from Battery Junction and returned it for replacement due to the tactical ring spinning and "wobbling". I thought it was defective and asked for a replacement, but requested that they check the replacement to make sure it did not have the same problem. They told me that all the ones they had were the same, so they refunded the purchase price and paid for shipping back to them (Excellent customer service, by the way).

I thought that they had received a defective batch, since I couldn't believe that the light could have been designed that way, so I ordered one from another vendor.

Exact same problem.

After looking at it for a bit, I unscrewed the tube, reversed the direction of the tactical ring on the tube, and screwed the 2 parts of the tube back together.

No movement whatsoever now.

I think they were assembled incorrectly at the factory.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
That ring has a groove that goes one way. ..so if you don't see it threaded tight, flop it so the groove captures the tube section.

Also, just like they said for the 1st XT11 - I have personally found no problem using two 3.7 v cells at a time. (7.4 v).

It's actually brightest with two IMR 18350 cells.

:D

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
That ring has a groove that goes one way. ..so if you don't see it threaded tight, flop it so the groove captures the tube section.

Also, just like they said for the 1st XT11 - I have personally found no problem using two 3.7 v cells at a time. (7.4 v).

It's actually brightest with two IMR 18350 cells.

:D

so how bright is this latest xt11 with two cells ????